The fallout from Fallout 4 (Discussion Thread)

According to Steam the last time I played Fallout 4 was Dec 2, 2015 and play time was only 2 hours. For those 2 hours all I could do was think of how similar the game is to Skyrim. I've played Skyrim since launch day but without mods today I find the game to be boring.

Playing Skyrim was fun back in 2011, but after nearly 5 years of playing the game Fallout 4 feels like Skyrim DLC. I'm hoping some epic DLC and mods will fix this issue for me. I think there's good game there I just need something keep it interesting.

Fallout 4 news:

According to Steam the last time I played Fallout 4 was 1/23. I did play 62 hours so far. I played through the main quest and a bit of exploring at the end. I decided to start over and ended up with a pipboy bug where I couldn't read the screen. >:(. By the time it was fixed I lost interest. I had manually installed the mods since at the time I didn't have any intent to use NMM. (I wanted to use MO but it wasn't ready for prime time for FO4). So there were a few pretty nice texture replacers. Now there are many new mods that are quite interesting to re-visit when I get the time and interest. 

I loved Fallout 3 and enjoyed Fallout New Vegas but couldn't get the same feelings from the characters in Fallout 4. They didn't seem alive like they did on the other games.

I do hope I can return to a newer better Fallout 4. I have the season pass (which I got early and didn't have to pay my arm and leg for ;)) so soon a few of the DLCs will be coming out to add content. I likely will return (modded or not I haven't decided) to Fallout 4 to check those out.

• Like 1

According to Steam, I last played on 2/17/2016 and have played for 294 hours.  That would be a LOT higher if I hadn't decided that I didn't want to keep rebuilding my settlements as the Spring Cleaning and Homemaker mods were in flux.  As it is I'm waiting for the release of the G.E.C.K. in April for the mods to become more permanent before resuming serious play.  In my opinion, this is the best game I've ever played from Bethesda.  Now, I'm not an apologist . . . there are several glaring issues with the game.  I suppose I don't see some of them because of my play style.  For instance I always play the "good guy" so I don't get to be frustrated at the lack of "evil" options.

It's the settlement building part of the game that has really won me over.  I'm a Sims player that is pissed off at the Sims 4 though . . . so that might have something to do with it.  That and the fact that I'd love someone to make an actual RPG/Lifesim game, and this is one step closer.  I really want to see a game that combines the elements of Bethesda RPGs with elements of a Sims Lifesim . . . preferably with generational play.  That would be my dream game.

• Like 1

Fallout 4 Far Harbor DLC Will Have More Content Than Skyrim’s Dawnguard
When talking about how the company came up with this idea he compared the pricing levels with what the company did when it came to Skyrim. “In this first run [of DLC], Far Harbor is the largest. But, we kind of priced that based on what we’ve done before so you can look at Far Harbor and say ‘Well, even though the land mass is bigger, it doesn’t have as much content as Shivering Isles – which was $30- but it has more than Dawnguard, which was $20″ Howard told the website.
Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/fallout-4-far-harbor-dlc-will-have-more-content-than-skyrims-dawnguard#5SjmOh68uPiEmlAr.99

On 3/21/2016 at 4:48 PM, ritualclarity said:

Far Harbor is the DLC I am waiting for. I am interested to see how much content they will add to the DLC and to the rest of the game if you have the DLC. Time will tell.

Something gives me the feeling that we're going to be let down. Just like we were when we found out that Fallout 4 is just using a slightly updated version of the Creation Engine **barf**

28 minutes ago, maybenexttime said:

Thanks for the answers guys.

I hope you guys expand on your FO4 modding tutorials since that is going to be a hot topic soon.

Oh. I will be ;) hehe
Just waiting for CK to release, and some more reliable tools than what we have... then mods will start getting more complex, and need tutorials to go with them... which is where I come in!

1 hour ago, ritualclarity said:

Hopefully it is close to Skyrim construction so that it is easier to get a start on modding it. :) Who knows I might even try to do some *stuff*

From what I've been reading, FO4 is based on a heavily modified version of the Creation Engine. The same thing Skyrim was built on. If history is true to itself, the creation kits have always been pretty similar in functionality. The major differences (From what I could tell) were simply HOW you did things. So I'm sure there will be a slight learning curve.

McLEtQ7.jpgDLxfNI8.jpg

I had to force myself to finish Fallout 4's main quest, long before it was finished I was sick of being sent from one shooting gallery to the next.  I started a new game, this time I thought I'd try being an evil character, it didn't take long before I realised that you can't play a different character evil or otherwise, you can only play the one Bethesda created, sure you can change the appearance and gender but it's still the same concerned parent, with the same voice.

You can't express your character through dialogue because it's so limited, you can't express it through actions because the lack of a reputation system means nothing you gets noticed or matters and you can't express it by creating a different kind of build, the replacement of skills with level restricted perks means you'll be a jack of all trades. 

• Like 3

Someone will get around to making a Project Nevada like mod for Fallout 4, that totally overhauls gameplay. THAT is the big mod I am waiting for. 

I'm also sure that there will be people who go through and add alternate player voices (Not really that hard, if you have recording equipment and a decent mic), and change up the way the story works. 

If not. They should. If the don't... well perhaps that's one of the things our skilled modders could put on their list to do. I know a few voice actors who may be willing to provide some voices for free... so long as they're given credit for their work with the project. 
--note, I'm not entirely sure how feasable this type of quest mod is --- as I've yet to even open FO4Edit to look at anything contained within. 

I uninstalled FO4 after I finished the main quest (BOS path) so I don't have my playtime stats.  I know it took less than 90 hours start to finish and I had the game installed for about two weeks.  FO4 was not the high point of my Fallout experience and certainly not my Bethesda high point.  I won't be buying any more Bethesda products at first release.

I think 'the game' we are all waiting for is the Obsidian version of FO4, that or a complete modder rebuild like Skywind wants to be.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

I uninstalled FO4 after I finished the main quest (BOS path) so I don't have my playtime stats.  I know it took less than 90 hours start to finish and I had the game installed for about two weeks.  FO4 was not the high point of my Fallout experience and certainly not my Bethesda high point.  I won't be buying any more Bethesda products at first release.

I think 'the game' we are all waiting for is the Obsidian version of FO4, that or a complete modder rebuild like Skywind wants to be.

No, what you are waiting for is a mature modding community to come along and rework the game the way it should have been. Then have Anatriax come along and make a massive tutorial on how to get all them installed and working smoothly...

Just say'in. ;).

2 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

No, what you are waiting for is a mature modding community to come along and rework the game the way it should have been. Then have Anatriax come along and make a massive tutorial on how to get all them installed and working smoothly...

Just say'in. ;).

For me it would need remaking from the ground up, it's something that would take modders years and given the way player numbers have fallen off a cliff I'm not holding out much hope . Earlier titles all had a foundation to build on, I wouldn't even know where to start with Fallout 4, the dialogue system is as good as non existent, there are no skills, there's no reputation system, the AI is actually worse than FO3/NV, I'm struggling to think of anything positive. The basics of an RPG aren't there and it'll take a mammoth effort to put them in.

I like some of the changes to the dialogue system. Perfect, no but better at least now you can see what you are going to say beforehand.

The rest basically comes down to just accepting it and trying to make the best of it. I got it new like others because of the history I had with the franchise. Now with this and declining joy I had with FNV before the mods I will wait until it is greatly on sale and most of the tools needed are out to mod and there are many mods that I am interested in getting.

If this game was 20 dollars (with DLCs) then I would be pretty pleased with it and the current mods. But full price and the "season pass" not so much.

It's not even that visually stunning, either. 

Skyrim looks better on my PC ... (Fallout RUNS better, because it's DX11, and there are limitations on Windows 10 with DX9, as you know). 

But yes, i agree. FO4 is by far the trash of the Bethesda library. 

1 minute ago, ritualclarity said:

If this game was 20 dollars (with DLCs) then I would be pretty pleased with it and the current mods. But full price and the "season pass" not so much.

Season passes are a joke, and honestly I feel they milk more money out of peole than the people save.

I ddn't have a problem with the visuals other than the eyes .. why does Bethesda have to screw up their eyes. Then next their bodies. Now they are better than before but still the textures aren't quite there and I am not a texture artist but I am sure they could do a decent job. Other games have decent textures for their characters. But the eyes that is really what put me off visually. Other than that I played it when there was no mods.. and it was fine

It was just more empty, and a sim development game when I wanted a RPG game. Not cool and was forced  into it to continue part of the first quest. That was my main problem.

2 hours ago, Anatriax said:

Season passes are a joke, and honestly I feel they milk more money out of peole than the people save.

I might be being overly cynical here but I think they knew the game wasn't very good and used a season pass to get as much money up front as possible.

Edited by Jim_UK
Corrected monkey typing
  • Like 1

Just now, Jim_UK said:

I might be being overly cynical here but I think they knew the game wasn't very good and used a season pass to get as money up front as possible.

Yes exactly. 

Good news. True Storms was converted over REALLY fast. Maybe that means once we have CK, other fantastic Skyrim/FNV mods will be converted over easily, making it a much better game ;)

Just now, Anatriax said:

Yes exactly. 

Good news. True Storms was converted over REALLY fast. Maybe that means once we have CK, other fantastic Skyrim/FNV mods will be converted over easily, making it a much better game ;)

I wasn't a fan of Fallout 3 either, I got as far as Megaton and hit ALT+F4, I hated it and never come back to it for a about a year. Since going back after that year I've clocked up 100's of hours all thanks to mods, it's still a terrible RPG but with the right mods it's a fun game, I'm hoping FO4 is like that in a years time. 

1 hour ago, Jim_UK said:

I might be being overly cynical here but I think they knew the game wasn't very good and used a season pass to get as much money up front as possible.

I believe the season pass was setup so that they could then use the money gain to develop the mods they had planed. Less money means less development. I am sure they had something for it for those that paid already set aside if it went south but the recent claims of them working and adding *more* content is likely the results of the sales and their profits from the season pass. They are tossing some more $$$ to it to encourage others to pay for it the next time they offer a season pass (also the reason they decided to raise the price later again to make people *jump* when there is an offer for season pass so they can buget their funding for development better.)