What skills do people have?

I was just wondering what sort of skills people have when it comes to making mods.

I can handle most anything as far as building quests (scripts, dialogue and scenes), building interior spaces (including navmesh) and setting up items such as armor. I can do a bit with magic such as spells and enchantments and am working on learning to create exterior worldspaces. When it comes to making meshes, textures or animations I have ZERO skills in making or altering anything.

• Like 1

I have almost zero skills when it comes to modding. Most of my info is second or even third hand info. I do however have a pretty good understanding of resolving various problems that can occur with members installing mods, conflict resolutions and guidance, as well as pretty good (at least in my opinion) with working with alpha and pre-release or private mod testing. I have done so extensively in the past mostly because of my general understanding of how the various games work and what to do to resolve conflicts and get it as close to possible to if it is the mod being tested is the cause or not of the issue.

I have tried and played around with the GECK etc and changed some eyes and hairs on NPCs and such, even tried to place in an armor but other than a "certain tutorial with armor" haven't been successful doing it on my own. I do need to gain more experience but in all fairness I don't even have modded games installed currently.

All one has to do is attempt to start to mod to realize the complexity of the task to be appreciative of the shear work that goes into the mods we enjoy today. Those that currently don't appreciate the mods they use need to try to create something like it, then they will ;)

• Like 3

My skills are similar to RC's, in the respect that I know how the games work, and have a good understanding of the engines. I have "some" experience converting various armors TO CBBE/Bodyslide, and I'm working learning how to do that backwards. It's not as easy as one would think. 

That aside:
--outside of my guide I have some ideas for a "mod" if you will. I'll go into that in-depth after I've finished redoing the Skyrim guide.
Speaking of: @Veladarius, I know you have extensive knowledge as well. I'd like to extend you an invite to join us in development of the new guide. With this update I'm pretty adaptable with what gets done, because I want it to be a community guide, not just mine.

@Anatriax I will help wherever I can with the guides but a good amount of things I do are the things that people say not to do. I think there were a lot of things that you could not do in FO3, FONV and Oblivion that work in Skyrim and vice versa. I have worked with modders that did things in Oblivion and were trying to do things in Skyrim and from what I get there is a lot of stuff in Skyrim's CK that was broken or disabled compared to previous games.

Skyrim:  I can convert Outfits using Blender 2.49b I am also good at making shinny textures like chrome, or Latex. I have Basic texturing skills nothing to intricate, I also have basic Glow map skills again nothing to intricate... like animations & such.

for texturing I use: Gimp2, PS CS2, & Paint.net.

for mesh modding I use: Blender 2.49b, 3DS Max 2012.

I am very friendly & I Believe in Sharing so please if there is anything you want to know don't be afraid to ask me anything as long as it's nice & respectful.

Edited by Zquad1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm a DIE-hard  E.S. moder for over last 15 years, that is just starting to tackle SkyrimLE/SE. Replacing the garbage characters and their accessories that come with ALL Beth games, I spent last few years porting  Daz Bodies and respective outfits to Oblivion (FOR MY OWN USE so stfu !). I know have completely replaced all OB Characters and Clothing with Daz models and my game runs like a charm at 57-60 fps. During this time  i developed exceptional modelling, and animating skills with Autodesk (HATE that POS Blender-blind), Texturing with Photoshop, Manipulation with NIFScope, immersion  and manipulation with Construction Set , and of course using varied "support" utilities required.  I played with Fallout but not really into that "style"  of game.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Not12Quit said:

I'm a DIE-hard  E.S. moder for over last 15 years, that is just starting to tackle SkyrimLE/SE. Replacing the garbage characters and their accessories that come with ALL Beth games, I spent last few years porting  Daz Bodies and respective outfits to Oblivion (FOR MY OWN USE so stfu !). I know have completely replaced all OB Characters and Clothing with Daz models and my game runs like a charm at 57-60 fps. During this time  i developed exceptional modelling, and animating skills with Autodesk (HATE that POS Blender-blind), Texturing with Photoshop, Manipulation with NIFScope, immersion  and manipulation with Construction Set , and of course using varied "support" utilities required.  I played with Fallout but not really into that "style"  of game.

If you have the DAZ or Poser developer's licence you can upload your conversions here, provided you don't ask for monetary compensation or deny the original artists revenue from their products.

There is a common misconception in the Bethesda modding community that DAZ/Poser content can't 'legally' be converted to work with a game.  Dark0ne and his staff over at Nexus started that years ago and that uniformed stupidity has infected other game sites as well, including Lover's lab.  If you have the dev's license and don't charge money for the results you can adapt content you've purchased.  I have a dev's license as does Asenasen and he has converted content uploaded here, and it's 100% legit to do so as long as you don't profit from it financially.

If you want to upload any of your conversions here (and you have the dev's license) DM me and attach a copy of your license along with your Daz Studio user name.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I modified some NPCs and tried to build a new location in Fallout 3 but that's pretty much the extent of my modding skills. I did create a popular series of comics featuring my Fallout character but it's not really the same thing

Just returned to gaming after a few years hiatus and I'm going to jump in again. Despite the frustration I experienced, I am looking forward to giving it another shot. I figure if I got as far as I did with the GECK the first time, I should be able to complete something this time. Who knows: maybe I'll post what I end up with here for a critique?

• Like 1