Morroblivion Guide: Development

Anatriax

Just now, Anatriax said:

correct

Woot, Woot.. :P

Most people are getting spoiled with MO. In reality OBMM and especially WyreBash are some pretty dam stable and functional mod managers. They are tanks in the mod managing world. Essentially the difference is they actually load the mods (and unload them) directly from the data folder. If you find something needed to be loaded afterwards. No problems just reinstall it. (as opposed to MO move up or down on the left side. ) That is essentially that. Mo has some useful tools to see conflicts in real time etc but WyreBash does to (I believe it does at least :P)

Do you think things would work if you did all Wyre Bash/OBMM via MO, or would you rather cut MO out now?

From my understanding of the process MO isn't liking the Steam version of Oblivion. When this happens there isn't the same level of responsiveness or stability. Scripting mods for example likely will never fire. It is also likely that complex install instructions (installers etc for Bash, Obmm etc) won't fire properly as MO won't know what to do with the mods and instructions as it don't see or recognize the exe. Finally one manager with occasional use of another one then packaging the results up is fine when needed but the entire list of mod not only from one manager but from two different managers... fail to package up everything properly. and you will have hell to pay to find wont what went wrong and OBMM and I suspect WyrebAsh will start to freak if it don't see the files anymore (after they have been packed) like FOMM does or did.

Now the best thing to do is encourage MO development to address the Steam and OBSE connectivity/recognition issues so that we can install them properly along with proper OBMM support to install Oblivion mods as well. (provided that isn't currently functional)

12 minutes ago, Quorwyf said:

Do you think things would work if you did all Wyre Bash/OBMM via MO, or would you rather cut MO out now?

Correct. I will be cutting MO out entirely.
1) MO requires too many "tricks" to get mods working properly. WB/OBMM you just install as directed, no problems.
2) WB/OBMM combination works whether you have disks or Steam versions. 
3) nuff said <3

• Like 1

I was able to clear the texture problem by moving the TESrenewal tree root replacer and building change I added above the texture mods. I have a new problem now. Wyre Bash is looking for meshes in the Oblivion folder instead of looking in MO's folders when I try to load the installers tab. Can't figure out why.

1 hour ago, Quorwyf said:

I was able to clear the texture problem by moving the TESrenewal tree root replacer and building change I added above the texture mods. I have a new problem now. Wyre Bash is looking for meshes in the Oblivion folder instead of looking in MO's folders when I try to load the installers tab. Can't figure out why.

Yup. Things randomly not working right are a big part of why I'm going to remove MO entirely.

It's more of a hassle to get set up, anyway... and most people are going to be modding it to play both games, not to experiment with mods and such. So MO isn't really needed, as the setup will hardly be changed.

I decided to try finishing my OCO2 + Seamless OCO install with MO and everything worked out, so I think i'll keep going with MO for now. It might help to work out flaws in my install plans this way.

BTW - did you get any other creation mods loaded with OCO2? Wondering what would still be compatible.

Edited by Quorwyf

I wanted to use MBP++ but i've read some bad things about its packaging and overall compatibility.

Found a mod on Nexus that makes Comprehensive Cosmetic Compilation 1.8 and OCOv2 compatible last night. Orsimar Overhaul for OCOv2 works with it, but it causes a mismatch between the face and ears.

I'm debating if i'm keeping OCOv2 now though since I kind of want Ave's Vanilla Races and Racereplacer and Ahtata argonian replacer. Downside to that is losing the OCOv2 Orc and having to find a good replacement with cosmetic options.

You should check out the links on that blog. The 'Environment' one had some interesting stuff.

It looks like I will have to give up on the idea of doing DMRA conversions for Morrowind things. I cannot get python to launch any of those tools I linked without python crashing because it can't locate a library it needs. Followed every fix known to google and got nowhere.

• Like 1