Sign in to follow this  
driftscape

Hobbies: What other Hobbies do you have?

So for the most part, gaming is one of our hobbies for the obvious reason why we are here. But do you have other hobbies? Or perhaps you are looking into a hobby in the future that you would like to do. What made you interested in those hobbies.

Posted (edited)

For over a year now I've been saving to buy a Nissan Xterra 4x4 because I've been wanting to working on one as a project for off road. I've been really getting into overland as my escape route from gaming because, well, I don't seem to have much faith in the game industry anymore and as they say "nothing lasts for ever" and it's time to move on to greener pastures. A few days ago I just bought a 2001 Nissan Xterra XE 4wd that needs some small work to it to get it to pass smog. Exterior wise, it's 7/10. I was hoping to get a manual shift one, but settled with an automatic because the price was too good to pass up on. It's not a hobby just yet, but I definitely would like to do it on the weekends.

I have that, my 240sx and my F-150, which I have to get up and running. Might just sell that off and use that money towards the Xterra.

Two of the channels I've been following for over a year now that have really inspired me to get into this hobby are Trail Recon and Rogue Overland.

Edited by driftscape
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have collected and painted miniature soldiers and wargamed with them for over 40 years.
As far as what got me into it, my Dad owned a small clothing store in downtown Pittsburgh (where I still live). There was a hobby shop at the other end of the block and I remember the first time I saw the window displays that that was what I wanted to do.
My personal collection is in the thousands and I've painted well over 20,000 for my customers.

Here's some of my latest work: WW2 German Afrika Korps in 25mm scale.

Spoiler

AT.jpg.5b9a64adad3d920cb26ae3589de62f02.jpg

Spoiler

Command.png.766b44bf47b70626ea35239db01f20fd.png

Spoiler

infantry.png.d3a2f975254bc18409078464e2f1f565.png

Spoiler

1396151783_CoreForce.thumb.png.24d91a77d1c23409f38c75e8969f4f04.png

Edited by vancleef
  • Like 2

Started my kitchen garden today.  All the seeds are heirloom; Cherokee Purple and Siberian tomatoes, Ozark Beauty strawberries, Amish cucumbers, hyssop. and peppermint.  No squash or melons because everybody grows those and I can trade for them.  Tomorrow I'll be doing ginger, garlic and spring onions.  On the hunt for some lemon grass next.

Also baked a loaf of rustic wholewheat bread.  I only do that like once a month.

• Like 2

Piddled in the garden today.  The ginger, hyssop, peppermint and Siberian tomatoes are no-shows, but the others all sprouted,  Can't find lemon grass anywhere so I'll have to order it.  I need neutralized fish bone for the tomatoes and cucumbers anyway, and I can't find that either.

• Like 1

Boy I have some work to do to this Xterra. It's leaking power steering fluid, but not near the reservoir nor down at the power steering rack and pinion. It's around the power steering pump, so I'm certain it's either the power steering pump is bad, or a hose isn't properly clamped that runs below the power steering pump.

And the second issue is a knock when I turn the steering wheel, which seems to be an indication that the axle joints are bad. After inspecting them, they look fine. What looks really bad are the upper and lower ball joints on both sides of the upper and lower control arms. they look stock, which would make sense given how old the SUV is.

Edited by driftscape
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Talked to some locals today and no one is growing heirloom crops.  Everyone is planting the same F1 and F2 hybrids they always do.  I swore I wasn't going to grow potatoes and now I am.  Same for melons and squash.  I couldn't find seed tatters but I know an old black dude who has the same potato crop in rotation since I moved here 15 years ago.  He gave me 20 starters in exchange for 10 Cherokee tomatoes when mine fruit up in a couple of months.

Watermelons...not a real fan since there's so much waste but I was able to find and heirloom variety of Sugar Baby bush that makes a 10 to 12 lb fruit.  That's enough melon for two or three helpings.

Squash...I refuse to grow yellow crook neck or fucking zucchini, plus those are crops that the people I talked to are growing.  I don't like butternut or acorn types either so I ordered some organic heirloom Rouge Vif D’Etampes pumpkin seeds.  They aren't jack o'lantern pumpkins, they're a super heavy French peasant food variety.

Herbs...went to the feed store and bought sets for rosemary, oregano, thyme, mint, and cilantro.  Also bought two Avery Island Tabasco pepper plants so I can save the seed and ferment my own mash.

This little 'I'm gonna grow a kitchen garden' project is turning into a WW2 Victory Garden.

• Like 1

Looked at lumber to build 6 planter boxes.  Those fools at the lumber yard have lost their fucking minds if they think I'm going to pay $.79 a board foot for #3 cedar planks.  My 'fuck you' work around is buying 6' 1x6 cedar fence pickets.  They're $2.79 a piece.  That limits my planter boxes to 3'x6' but that's okay; I know how to companion plant and trellis.  All this means the boxes will cost me about $17 each; saving me over $10.

Started a compost pile today but I'm going to have to fast track it.  Easy to do; 1 can of Coke, 1 can of beer and 1 cup of household ammonia mixed together and cut with 20 gallons of water.  Soak the pile with that shit and let it rest a week.  Turn it and toss in 1 pint of worms from the bait store.  Ready-to-use compost in 6 weeks.

• Like 1

Went to Harbor Freights Tool and picked up some 6 ton Jack stands and some 3 ton plastic ramps. I'll need a new jack lift because the current one I have is going bad. The hydrallic fluid is leaking. No bueno.... Not even my roommates jack lift is good. Useless roommate... :P

Edited by driftscape

I had a leaky jack once a long time ago. Didn't matter, use the Jack Stands for the "major lifting". The jack was only to get things started. I was young and couldn't afford to get a new jack at that time. OFC nobody went under or even reached under (more than to put the jack stands) Also, it would hold well for about an hour losing about an inch every 15~30 minutes so wasn't loosing too badly or quickly.  Still had it for a long time (it was huge) and traded it to my brother in law for a newer smaller one that I works perfectly on a small car and such that own (not a truck anymore) he went and fixed it. (changed the seals and such) prehaps you could .. mine was a mechanic version and apparently not many like that are sold anymore. (oh and I got a break job on all 4 of my tires .. labor only, included :D ) My sister stated he was tickled to be able to get that antique!

3 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

I had a leaky jack once a long time ago. Didn't matter, use the Jack Stands for the "major lifting". The jack was only to get things started. I was young and couldn't afford to get a new jack at that time. OFC nobody went under or even reached under (more than to put the jack stands) Also, it would hold well for about an hour losing about an inch every 15~30 minutes so wasn't loosing too badly or quickly.  Still had it for a long time (it was huge) and traded it to my brother in law for a newer smaller one that I works perfectly on a small car and such that own (not a truck anymore) he went and fixed it. (changed the seals and such) prehaps you could .. mine was a mechanic version and apparently not many like that are sold anymore. (oh and I got a break job on all 4 of my tires .. labor only, included :D ) My sister stated he was tickled to be able to get that antique!

It won't jack up all the way it should. After a certain amount it just refuses to go any higher.  I could put some 2x4s side by side and stacked up on top and nail them down to raise the jack lift. But I still plan to get a new one with the longer handles for easier jacking up.

Edited by driftscape