Music Lovers Thread

ritualclarity

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Never heard this version of Boom-boom-boom before, and I'm a blues fan.  It's awesome.

i'm imagining a bit of Santana in there as well.. That is about all that I can think of that would make this better. It is pretty dam perfect as it is. :P

His Gutar work is excellent.. Imagine playing along with John and zz top.

Wait.. a bit better example.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, vancleef said:

No disrespect to the other two members of the Holy Guitar Trinity (Clapton and Page) but Beck leaves them both in the dust:

Them is fighting words..

Spoiler

LOL just kidding

So many talented artist, is it me or recently they are getting fewer and fewer new entries into this pool. 

• Like 1

Them is fighting words..

Ha! I love Page and I respect Clapton. But Beck always appealed to my love of diversity of styles. Clapton is, for lack of a better description, a bit 2-Dimensional. He's a great blues player but not very interesting when he strays into other genres. Page is an incredibly gifted composer and he really knew how to layer sound. His technique is sloppy but it barely matters when you weigh it against his other strengths.

Beck, on the other hand? That cat is on a whole 'nother plane of existence!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 5:00 PM, bjornk said:

A lot of people like the popular music of the 80's, but I think the 80's was when quality started to go downhill (largely thanks to MTV), especially in the late 80's. Overall, aside from a bunch of film scores, the music of the 90's and beyond is basically cancer, but people don't seem to care.

Here's a tiny but rather telling example. One is a 1979 disco song by Sister Sledge, the other is a rap song, or whateverthatis, from the 90's with no melody of its own, other than the guitar loop ripped off from the 79 song. Guess which one is more popular. There are many more *songs* like this.

Things are even worse these days as people seem to have run out of well known and popular things to rip off, and they now use relatively unknown old stuff from international artists. As I've said many times, there's been a rather obvious crisis in all creative areas in art, including movies and video games.

Here's another example of the decline in music...

Spacer, the original 1979 song by Sheila & Black Devotion with 2.5M views...

and the 2000 ripoff, Crying At The Discoteque by Alcazar with 19M views...

How come a ripoff, which basically identical to the original song except the lyrics can get this many views? Well, need I mention the ignorance of the Millennials once again?

Edited by bjornk

18 minutes ago, ritualclarity said:

I don't know if it was the fond memories of my watching these shows or if the music intros and throughout the series being great is the reason I still enjoy these.

It was both, plus they were all new and original work, not something from the past regurgitated and then turned into abominations.

• Like 1

This is an archetypal early 80's song for me...

I would turn off the lights and listen to this and many other similar songs on the radio until I fall asleep... Good times...

aaand this is the regurgitated version for the Millennials who have no clue or whatsoever...

Edited by bjornk
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, endgameaddiction said:

He's also a hardcore Barry White fan.

Speaking of Barry White, I've found the girls dancing in the unrelated Hi-gloss video. Pans People dancing to Love's Theme...back in 1974... on BBC1!

Can you imagine the reaction to this if it was done today? Phew, talk about regression in human society...

Also, this was an instrumental pop song back in the day... what a staggering difference in quality when compared to, well, anything made today...

Edit: Longer version of the video, sadly B&W.

Edited by bjornk
  • Like 1

Well, this was definitely before my time, but I totally agree with you. There are cover songs that you wish never existed. And even songs during it's time like the era of screamo in the early up to mid (or late) 2000s. To think I was in a screamo/post-hardcore band back in the mid 2000s. I admit that playing gigs locally and out of state like in Utah and California was pretty fun, but the music was not my taste. The things one will do when your best friend suddenly likes this crap and he needs a lead guitarist. That was the time when MySpace was booming. And when I stopped liking social media because I had all these people befriending me I didn't know and never talked to.

Edited by endgameaddiction

4 hours ago, bjornk said:

It was both, plus they were all new and original work, not something from the past regurgitated and then turned into abominations.

I would tend to agree. If you want to listen to an abomination of Battle Star Galactica... check or search for the Disco version of it.

Shudders.

Also.. Berry White is a classic. I don't recall hearing any song he made that didn't sound good.

• Like 1

I see a lot of young people praising the music of the 80's on YT, unaware of the fact that there were many songs back then which were cover version of the songs from the 60's and the 70's, maybe even older. Before the Internet, people could have the excuse for not knowing whether or not a song was a cover of a older song especially when it was before their time, now they can't have that luxury. I'm sure people nowadays often think "meh, I'll google it when I need learn about it" and yet, they never bother to do it... which results in infuriatingly stupid and ignorant comments on YT and the social media. It's rather appalling to think that while the original song gets insignificant amount of views, a newer "song" made out of a "sampled" piece of the original gets millions of views. Disgraceful, really.

There's another reason why the millennials and younger generations are fairly ignorant about the past. Back in the 70's and in the early 80's, TV and radio broadcasting was still fairly centralized. There were much fewer tv channels and radio stations. You would sit and listen to radio or watch tv for hours and as you had no control over the content being played or shown, while you would sometimes get extremely bored, you would still get exposed to things you would not normally watch or listen to, if it was up to you. Which was actually a fairly good way of opening one's eyes and broadening their vision. In today's world, radio is dead, tv is about to die, and almost everything has become "on demand" with almost unlimited options. No one wants to listen to or watch things that they aren't already interested in. Which is a fairly bad situation in my opinion. I suppose you can count this as one of the adverse effects of the Internet (and technology).

Edited by bjornk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Without the above, I wouldn't have found this.

Spoiler

Warning... it is religious.. however, listening to this.. I think it would have been awesome if used in Fallout 3 (Atom's children ;) )

Spoiler

Of course... Atom Bomb... ;)

Catchy...

I believe the reference of "Bear" has to do with communism specifically Russia

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoFQvZZ3r05HE_JanWmVdnw

More of the above songs like this (theme) from above.