zilvradrow

Around 62% of all Internet sites will run an unsupported PHP version in 10 weeks

The highly popular PHP 5.x branch will stop receiving security updates at the end of the year.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/around-62-of-all-internet-sites-will-run-an-unsupported-php-version-in-10-weeks/

^Not Good... Not Good at all. :(

Here is an idea... instead of trying to get the common person to update their computer (looking at you Microsoft) how about forcing the companies that have a majority of the backbone of the internet required to update on a regular and current bases.... ? Thoughts?  That can cause far more problems than some random computer (home user) from my point of view. (Faster access to the internet. More traffic, more viability, access to personal data not their iow etc etc.)

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

A few hypothetical questions bugging my mind:

1. Can matter continue its existence if time stops, or if you just suck out all the energy in the universe? Or would it dissolve into nothingness? (possibly)

2. Related to #1, is matter in fact a form of energy? (possibly)

3. Does "going back in time" mean that you'd have to undo the entire universe, including yourself? (definitely)

4. If moving at a faster speed slows down the time and stops it completely at the speed of light, does that mean the universe works (i.e. changes its states) at the speed of light? Which kind of suggests that it cannot affect us if we move at the speed of light? (no idea)

If anyone has better answers I'd love to read them.

Edited by bjornk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bjornk said:

A few hypothetical questions bugging my mind:

1. Can matter continue its existence if time stops, or if you just suck out all the energy in the universe? Or would it dissolve into nothingness? (possibly)

2. Related to #1, is matter in fact a form of energy? (possibly)

I believe matter, time and energy are part of the same sources. If you stop one, you will eventually stop or seriously alter/fuckup the others. Take a look at the quantum sciences.

https://www.livescience.com/28550-how-quantum-entanglement-works-infographic.html

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-achieved-direct-counterfactual-quantum-communication-for-the-first-time

3. Does "going back in time" mean that you'd have to undo the entire universe, including yourself? (definitely)

Two theories I like and are used in stories... one is you change time, the other is what you did already happened and you are only doing what you  already did in the past. 

4. If moving at a faster speed slows down the time and stops it completely at the speed of light, does that mean the universe works (i.e. changes its states) at the speed of light? Which kind of suggests that it cannot affect us if we move at the speed of light? (no idea)

https://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/what-if/what-if-faster-than-speed-of-light.htm

Interesting article. :D

If anyone has better answers I'd love to read them.

My comments in Green with some links to check. There are lots of materials and comments on this throughout the web. Interesting times for these types of discussions.

• Thanks 1

I believe most humans have a misconception about what time is and I myself have had the same misconception until very recently. We believe that time exists independently and things happen in the universe because time flows. As if there's a ticking clock outside of the universe and the universe runs with it. That's why a lot people ask questions like "what was there before the Big Bang?" and it's also what creates the misconceptions about time travel.

Time is actually a concept that we humans created in order to identify and measure the sequence of observable events in the universe. The scale we use for that relies on the movement of our solar system, the Earth and the Sun particularly.  It actually doesn't exist on its own. When we talk about "a point in time" what we mean by that is a particular "state" of the universe. The universe keeps changing its states, not because time dictates it, but because it has energy. It changes, creates, destroys things, both in cosmic and subatomic scale, and it has infinite number of states, but of course, we are only interested in the states that we can somehow observe. We don't care about what is going on at the atomic or subatomic scale. Our perception of "time" or rather the changes in the universe is directly related to our size in comparison to the universe as well.

What would happen if time somehow slows down? Less things would happen in the universe. What if time stops? Nothing would happen. These questions and answers aren't inherently wrong, the problem is with the perception about time. In order to slow down time, you would have to slow down the universe and to stop time, you would have to stop the universe. Neither of these can be done as long as the universe has energy in it.

Going back in time means going back to a previous state of the universe, or changing the universe back to a previous state, while keeping your state unchanged. How are you going to do that? By pressing the universe's "UNDO" button infinite amount of times? And also, we ARE part of the universe and changing the universe back to a previous state would also mean that changing ourselves back to a previous state. In other words, we'd have to UNDO ourselves. That would require much more energy than the universe already has. What about going forward in time? The same story. You'd have to accelerate the universe while keeping your state unchanged. First of all, you'll never have the amount of energy to do that and again since you ARE part of the universe, you'd have to accelerate with the universe, which means you'd get older much faster and would die before seeing the future. So, to put it simply, you cannot go back or forward in time, traveling through time is IMPOSSIBLE, it's just a FANTASY.

Is matter a form of energy? Look at this famous formula...

E = mc²

Doesn't it say so?

Edited by bjornk

I agree with you on time being a measure of events in order as we  understand them. However, I differ with you on time being created by humans.  The sequence of events are there even if we aren't. It would exist and as scientist have formulated various physics laws. .. (slow time relative to speed of light etc)  The old adage if a tree fell in the forest would it make sound.. the answer is yes.. would we hear it ... no unless someone was there.

Unless you subscribe to the universe being solely the events that are precieved by us and constructed by us. Then, everything exist because we make it so.

Time, as a concept, was created by humans. What the universe has, is states. Time doesn't exist independently, as in,  without the universe. In fact, that's what Stephen Hawking says, time basically starts with the Big Bang, in other words, as soon as the universe started changing its states, time also started to mean something. What we call "time" basically represents the distance between two of these states in terms of a single day on Earth (e.g. how many Earth days are there between two states of the universe). We even define a "light year" in terms of this made up unit. If the smallest unit of time, e.g. Planck Time (which is 10-43 seconds) can represent the smallest change of states in the universe at the subatomic (quantum) level then maybe the states aren't infinite, but I doubt it.

Another question I have in mind about the implications of Time Dilation, which basically states that time slows down for a very fast moving object. Assuming it's not one of our misconceptions and really is in the nature of the universe, what would it imply? If time slows down for you when you move very fast, it would mean that you'd witness less changes in the universe. Does that suggest the universe runs at a certain (fixed) speed?

Edited by bjornk

8 hours ago, bjornk said:

Time, as a concept, was created by humans. What the universe has, is states. Time doesn't exist independently, as in,  without the universe. In fact, that's what Stephen Hawking says, time basically starts with the Big Bang, in other words, as soon as the universe started changing its states, time also started to mean something. What we call "time" basically represents the distance between two of these states in terms of a single day on Earth (e.g. how many Earth days are there between two states of the universe). We even define a "light year" in terms of this made up unit. If the smallest unit of time, e.g. Planck Time (which is 10-43 seconds) can represent the smallest change of states in the universe at the subatomic (quantum) level then maybe the states aren't infinite, but I doubt it.

Another question I have in mind about the implications of Time Dilation, which basically states that time slows down for a very fast moving object. Assuming it's not one of our misconceptions and really is in the nature of the universe, what would it imply? If time slows down for you when you move very fast, it would mean that you'd witness less changes in the universe. Does that suggest the universe runs at a certain (fixed) speed?

Yes, I was talking about time as a construct of humanity. Not referencing actual time as a scientific principle.

as for the dilation.. I believe (forget his name sorry) one of the scientist stating if you had t wins and one was going faster than light on a space ship,  time would slow for him. His twin would live out his life back on earth.  When the twin on the ship returned after only a very short time, his earth bound twin would have gotten much older.

Some good scifi movies cover this when talking about space travel.  Long haulers leaving and coming back with their earth bound (or planet of choice) much older or even dead. Sometimes these movies even mention for deep haulers seeing their grandchildren or the grandchildren of their family members when they return. (traveling at near light speed)

yea... my Googlefu didn't fail
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox

If time "slows down", wouldn't that make you move slower, as if you move in slow motion? And what if the movement in slow motion is what we perceive as "normal"? What if we actually live in an already "slowed down" universe? Let's assume for a moment that the universe "works" at the speed of light or somewhat close to it, wouldn't that mean time has already slowed down for us? Maybe the universe created by the Big Bang has already ended, if you observe it from outside the universe, but due to the speed of the universe we are still experiencing it, like the guy in the fast moving spaceship. Maybe our universe was just a "spark" to some...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...