Doublezero

The Electronic Arts thread

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/24/16696870/star-wars-battlefront-2-economy-cheats

People are using rubber bands to keep their character moving now that the microtransactions have been removed. This way they can get the credit and time needed to be able to advance in the game due to the extreme length of time needed to advance and such poor credit for accomplishments given.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ritualclarity said:

Thoughts?

Too broad a stroke and completely missed the point.  This is about business ethics and not the value proposition of the products or the delivery methods.  The current business models are wrong because they are using technology to trigger sensual and neural reflexes in human weaknesses of greed and vanity to induce addiction and exploit the vulnerable financially.  While an argument can be made that all modern consumerism is about some kind of exploitation, the key point being as civic societies we recognize certain practices are ethically wrong.  This is why bait-and-switch is illegal, subliminal messages are banned in TV broadcasts, narcotics and gambling are heavily regulated etc.  The current microtransaction profit models use techniques from all these activities.

EDIT: I want to add that "current microtransation profit models" should be "current microtransaction profit models in dispute".

Edited by nsfwmodszzz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, nsfwmodszzz said:

Too broad a stroke and completely missed the point.  This is about business ethics and not the value proposition of the products or the delivery methods.  The current business models are wrong because they are using technology to trigger sensual and neural reflexes in human weaknesses of greed and vanity to induce addiction and exploit the vulnerable financially.  While an argument can be made that all modern consumerism is about some kind of exploitation, the key point being as civic societies we recognize certain practices are ethically wrong.  This is why bait-and-switch is illegal, subliminal messages are banned in TV broadcasts, narcotics and gambling are heavily regulated etc.  The current microtransaction profit models use techniques from all these activities.

EDIT: I want to add that "current microtransation profit models" should be "current microtransaction profit models in dispute".

I posted that because it was a different point of view. I wasn't sure I liked the view (hence the reason for writing comments). I still don't think I like the view. perhaps some might be good. Not sure if it "completely missed the point" it is after all a personal thought of the situation from his point of view and he did but the disclaimer right in front of the video. Unlike some youtubers that think their comments are gospel, hard cold facts...

Update on my experience with the trial.

I have only played 1 hour of the possible 10 hour trial. I haven't gone back to the game since I stopped that night. I haven't even wanted to go back. It wasn't a bad game and I did enjoy much of the time I spent on it. I believe it is due to the issues related to the game and all the negative press that it is getting that is effecting my desires to play the game. I can't speak for others, however, this also might be some reasons for the decline in sales, activity, etc of the game. Many I know in RL are more interested in talking about the bullshit that is going on and what EA has done to fuck up the game with micro-transactions and what the governments are doing or talking about doing as opposed to any discussion on the game itself.

So, in essence .... EA Cockblocked themselves.

<<So, in essence .... EA Cockblocked themselves. >>

Like when EA destroyed SimCity2013 with unnecessary online connection or Sims4 by slicing off too much contents for future sales?  Both were examples of EA's pivot to greed shot themselves on the foot but blaming the fans for not supporting the company's effort of "progress".

The difference though was that in those cases EA miscalculated the value proposition of the products and the free market responded.  The current disputed microtransactions models are unethical techniques hiding behind a facade of technology and "fun" designed entirely to prey on human weakness.  They are not about monetization of legitimate goods or services.  In Japan the government to this day still insists that Pachinko industry is about "fun technology" and not gambling.  At least Pachinko is regulated like gambling whereas even though the Chinese government does recognize f2p and p2w economy was built on addiction the bureaucrats' inaction out of fear of being accused of "not getting technology" has allowed a predatory monopoly like Tencent to become the largest market cap company in Asia, even surpassing Apple. 

Edited by nsfwmodszzz
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, nsfwmodszzz said:

Like when EA destroyed SimCity2013 with unnecessary online connection or Sims4 by slicing off too much contents for future sales? 

Sorry, I am not familiar with those two examples. It sounds about right based on your statement.

I am not against Micro transactions in themselves. The issue is the game is setup so that you have to use the Micro transactions to get anywhere. In the Star wars Battlefront II they are not even selling you what you are buying. Even Bethesda gave you the horse armor if you bought it ;) They are giving you a chance. This is horrible beyond horrible on so many levels. Gambling shouldn't be part of any game through micro transactions or any other feature unless it is classified as an adult game. This is what most governments are going ape shit about.

If the game was balanced so that the main game (not Digital deluxe) had a reasonable progression and ample similar equipment and such and you could play it solely by the original game and do as well as any others using the micro transactions then it was a well developed and balanced game. This isn't the case. I know of no current case where this is true. It is one thing to over some skins and some alternate guns that might look cool and another to make it so you have to spend a lot of $$$ to get to a level to play the game against anyone that bought that cool content. If it was well balanced like I mentioned then I can accept the fact that a game has micro transactions... however, I am fairly confident, that game would have a hard time to make enough money to cover the added expense of the extra content used in such Micro Transactions

So all of this is pretty predatory as it is necessary to be so in order for them to get the money out of the game that they put into it. Sad thing is CD Project Red made a pretty penny off of Witcher, which only had two DLCs. and no Micro-Transactions. Which pretty much tells me that it can be done.

The difference of making money off DLC and addiction is that all DLC are consumed only once and every new DLC has to prove its value in the free market all over again whereas addiction is about extracting as much as the addicted can bear with the same method/product.  Guess which is more profitable?  Same inputs but totally different business models.  Meth is produced the same way as any chemical drugs but its profit model has nothing to do with healthcare. 

However, most chemical or neurological addictions are not illegal or even regulated; adrenaline, sugar, fat, nicotine, caffeine just to name a few.  Jolt Cola was illegal where I lived before it went out of business but not in most places.  Pot was illegal everywhere but now legalized in many places.  The more science reveals the more we know about what we are addicted to.  Where to draw the legal line is tricky and will continue to be as science and technology advances. 

Gaming becomes gambling if the game is designed to prey on greed, which is an addiction.  However, the legal definition of gaming has nothing to do with addiction but with tying real money to chance.  It's a powerful label.  No country allows minor to gamble and gambling is outright illegal in China, Japan (on paper) and Korea, the three largest p2w microtransaction markets in the world.  In particular, China's humongous gaming market, the largest in the world is almost entirely based on addiction mechanics, though not all are chance+money addictions, i.e. gambling. 

Chew on this, within the last 15 years, addiction mechanics has gone from almost zero to be responsible for nearly 1/3 of total world wide industry revenue and its share of profits is far higher than its revenue share.  No wonder Valve and Blizzard don't care about single player games anymore and EA and Bethesda are looking to pivot.  It's like seeing Pfizer and Merck "pivoting" to crack and meth because they are more profitable, which they would have if narcotics were legal and unregulated (cough, opioids, cough).  Hell, the British Empire "pivoted" the global trading system and fought two wars to get Chinese addicted to opium because the Brits could not fight off their own tea addiction.  The same tea addiction also led to USA.

TL/DR: I think the best comment I have read about micro-transactions is that any non-cosmetic micro-transaction design is inherently in conflict with game balance and narrative cohesion.  This sums up perfectly that making micro-transaction "games" and making entertainments are actually two different businesses.  DLC people are in the content business while the micro-transaction people are in the addiction business.

Edited by nsfwmodszzz

That's a chunk of dinero.

Now, lets see if Beth followers fanboys will do the same in the times to come in their next iteration of TES or Fallout. Doubt it!

Edited by endgameaddiction
dirty edits
  • Like 1

3.1 billion FUCK YOU :D

Hopefully, Bethesda and company etc is watching this closely and remembering the issues they had with Fallout 4  and other recent releases and return to a more sensible and "grass roots" base that made them so good. That gave them such rabid fans of their works. They need to focus on that. They had what most companies want these days, very loyal fans. They had a specialty and they did it well and this is what gave them these fans. These fans will toss money and money at their projects almost without question so long as they provide the same quality and experiences they have done in the past.

It is one thing to try new things here and there and do some improvements, however, quite a different thing when you lower the quality elsewhere where it counted (according to your fans)

Bethesda, if you are reading this :P and have any questions on formula and how to do things... look at some of the newer companies like CD Project Red and how they constantly strive to give more in each game they create. How they have strong characters, with well written quest and story lines. Then do as your fans ask and add mod ability and you should be pretty much golden on the next Fallout / TES edition you release. ;)

• Like 1

EA states that pay-to-win microtransactions are here to stay.

And the hardcore fan base wants Disney to revoke EA's franchise licensing.

• Like 1

I have been testing Star Wars Battlefront II, their trial. Well, I can't even play more than 2 hours or so. I tried to delete and remove it from my Origin account... well... that can't be done. A trial WON'T DELETE. I cannot delete that turd. It is sitting along my Mass Effect collection, Witcher collection and yes, even Sims 4. All games (for the most part minus the stupidity of buying MEA) I like. All those games I played for many, many more hours (yes even MEA and guiltily Sims 4) than I will ever or could ever play SWBFII... So now i have a giant turd in my collection without the ability to delete it. I assume it is so as to remind the player, to buy the game. They keep on telling me that my progress will transfer over to the game once purchased. They keep on reminding me of my time left on the trial. I get jack shit on the other games info. Hell they even eclipse the new Sims 4 addition of pets now and only talk about SWBFII and what is going on. Notes, notices, emails and the shit. It is ridiculous. I have gotten well over a dozen emails on this alone since I attempted or gave their game a "fair try" I believe I am being punished for actually giving them a chance.

Fuck!

1 hour ago, endgameaddiction said:

You're stuck with the dark side now so....

Reveal hidden contents

yoda___deal_with_it_by_z0h3-d4s4rhp.jpg

640ebdf804181fb78fae4852a3a0dfb0.thumb.jpg.6022340a001f86e5323ee3b0cb3fa80a.jpg

Wait....

Um...

That really belongs on another site... ;) lol

If this was something you could unlock in Starwars Battlefield II

ashoka_tano_____welcome_to_the_dark_side___by_darthziggy-d4r8rkm.thumb.jpg.9b0eb96e4e695e79758834af84a6a048.jpg

Then it might be worth grinding at... um... for... ;)

and about EA totally fucking up Starwars Battlefront II Welcome_a69cd7_5702288.jpg.5b4d050ea4fe06be13b1cd669664b76f.jpg

How can you do this?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

That's a chunk of dinero.

Now, lets see if Beth followers fanboys will do the same in the times to come in their next iteration of TES or Fallout. Doubt it!

Is it just me or does he look a great deal like Robbie Rotten from Lazy town.

photo.jpg.738a4f129cb2e64647456ce2149ec6d9.jpg

Might explain some things. lol

1 hour ago, Doublezero said:

Anthem is sounding like a disaster. I wonder how many failures it's going to take for EA to change course.

If they think their business model is a success they'll never change course.  It's obvious that multiplayer, games-as-services and microtransactions are what they want; and people with more money than sense are rewarding them.  Action RPGs published by EA might be things of the past. *shrugs*  Regardless, I'll never buy anything they publish after all of the things that came to light after Andromeda was released.  Battlefront2 was another confirmation for me; and I'm only interested in single player games anyway.  Had my fill of multiplayer with WOW.