The Outer Worlds Announcement - New RPG from Obsidian

bjornk

Hmmm... anyone else getting those ads on https://www.obsidian.net ???

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/1067859090381058048

sc-weapon.jpg

ac-skin-cream.jpg

The Outer Worlds maybe? You know, the RPG which Cain and Boyarsky have been working on.

Update:

This is it, definitely The Outer Worlds by Cain and Boyarsky. It was going to be published by Private Division and here's the announcement on their Twitter account.

Next Thursday, don't miss the global announcement and reveal of the new RPG from @obsidian and @privatedivision live at #TheGameAwardsGameAwards_2018.png. Streaming live on over 45 platforms at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT at http://www.thegameawards.com

Edited by bjornk

Another kick in the head for Bethesda. If that's indeed what they're doing, this is most definitely the right time to do it. :D

I have a feeling that this could indeed be The Outer Worlds, because the artwork reminds me of Arcanum.

Edited by bjornk

Looks like this game is indeed based on Asimov.

The rise and fall of the Spacer worlds can be traced over a series of stories written by Isaac Asimov and his successors over a period of almost fifty years. Together, they draw the portrait of a culture unique in human history.

In "Mother Earth", written in 1949, we see the Spacers as they exert their newly-won power for the first time. The time is several centuries after the discovery of the hyperspace jump, which permits humanity to travel to the worlds of other stars. When the breakthrough first occurs is uncertain. It could be the twenty-first century, or the thirty-first, or even the forty-first. Whenever it happens, it frees humanity from the confines of the Solar System and permits the establishment of extrasolar colonies. Within a couple of centuries, over thirty worlds have been colonized by Earth. This period in human history is known as the Terrestrian Empire. The colony worlds are dominated, both politically and economically, by Earth. We don't know the details, but Earth's rule is sufficiently harsh that it is still resented by the colony worlds a thousand years after the end of the Empire, permanently poisoning relations between Earth and the younger worlds.

As time passes, the balance of power begins to shift. The Outer Worlds (as they are known) grow in population and industrial might. Unlike Earth, the Outer Worlds embrace automation. Robots are introduced on the Outer Worlds, and a new culture based on a completely roboticized economy takes shape. After Earth ceases to establish new colonies, the Outer Worlds begin to take up the task themselves. Their numbers continue to grow, edging up towards the fifty mark.

http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/spacers_rise_and_fall.html

Edited by bjornk

I don't know. Tim Cain has once said something like "if you loved Fallout, you're gonna love this game", but I don't know which Fallout he refers to. Whatever it is, it probably won't have cutscenes. 🤣

Edited by bjornk
Added a video

I can play a 1st person shooter but I don't get invested in them like I do real rpgs with 3rd person and real stories.  Every once in a while I'll fire up the Xbox and play GOW4.  Honestly I play that more than I do any Bethesda game at the moment.  I'll probably rent it first and if the game play grabs me and I can invest time in branching quests/missions then I might buy it.  I want a game I can fucking MOD that isn't made by goddamned Bethesda.

I honestly didn't like the art style. People have kept comparing it to Bioshock and they were right. Never liked those games. I don't like the "humor" either. The only good thing so far is that it seems to have an actual dialogue system similar to FNV. If this game was made using Unreal it would probably be difficult to mod.

Steam page for the game. Has some more screenshots.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/578650/The_Outer_Worlds/

If it's on Unreal I doubt it will support modding at all.  They're strict with their 3rd party licensing so Obsidian providing a level editor or an actual tool kit would be unlikely'expensive for them.  And making models for Unreal is a serious pain and not worth it.  I stopped doing Unreal compatible meshes and runtimes for DAZ after one project.  Can't paint for depth using DDS files, texturing has to be done ON THE MESH and the runtimes are flat sheets of color.  Every crease, wrinkle and shadow you see is fuck'n real.  NO.THANKS.

Now I'm depressed. :P

I really wanted it to be good, but I'm afraid this has the potential to turn into another ME:Andromeda.

Edit: Nope. I'm done with it.

The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

Edited by bjornk

Only first person I'm interested in right now is Rage 2. But I'll skip buying it. I'm not dropping a penny that's going towards BSW and Zenicrap.

I may give this game a shot regardless if it's first person. But that depends how good it is. CDPR and Cyberpunk, I was under the impression it was both first and third person. Turns out them announcing it was both was very vague when we actually found out how it will pan out. The years of hype only to find out third person was limited to driving and dialogue is what killed it for me. At least Obsidian tells you what it actually will be in advance and not give you a misunderstanding 5 years later at E3.

Edited by endgameaddiction

This is another player-centric piece of shit in which everything revolves around you.  Level up, get stronger, kick ass, save the world... fuck that. I shouldn't have disturbed my sleep routine for this shit. UGH!

I think I'm going to have to join rpgcodex soon.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-outer-worlds-upcoming-obsidian-rpg-by-tim-cain-and-leonard-boyarsky-announcement-on-dec-6th.119594/

The Outer Worlds = ( 0.4*Fallout 4 + 0.4*Bioshock + 0.2*ME:Andromeda )

Edited by bjornk

It may look better than FO4 but unlike Fallout 4 it has a more  "shooter with RPG elements" vibe to it. I mean, can you even sheath your weapon or do you have to wander around pointing your weapon at random people? From what I've heard the game does have a CC screen but I don't see the point in a "FPV only" game.

Lately RPGs or games in general have become so dumbed down and shit, and now even having a decent dialogue screen or not having loot-boxes and microtransactions have become a "feature". How sad.

Edited by bjornk
  • Agree 1