Badur's Gate

ritualclarity

3 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

I'm thinking about getting this game.

Just checked out BG3 on Nexus and they seem to have a decent amount of mods in a short time.

Not only complete and functions quite well upon release, extremely customizable  AND has mods?

Consider myself blown away.

I am considering getting it. It will break my "no new game" rule. Where I don't get the game when first released usually waiting for a sale etc. However, the more I read, the more this company/publisher deserves my $$$.  Several people at my place of work has gotten it and stated it was quite good. These people usually are on track (most of the time) with game I also like.

3 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

Not only complete and functions quite well upon release, extremely customizable  AND has mods?

Consider myself blown away.

I am considering getting it. It will break my "no new game" rule. Where I don't get the game when first released usually waiting for a sale etc. However, the more I read, the more this company/publisher deserves my $$$.  Several people at my place of work has gotten it and stated it was quite good. These people usually are on track (most of the time) with game I also like.

I'm never tempted and never have been to pre-order or buy early on a new game. Been like this since a kid. But back in the days when I was a kid, I wouldn't really consider myself a gamer. I had NES and SNES at that time and had a lot of games for them, but I was a very active kid always outside with friends being a bunch of rascals and flirting with the girls. So I would always see pre-ordering as a sign of desperation. Video games were secondary to me at that time. Still is sorta...I got into Fallout 3 in late 2009 or early 2010. Didn't know about the game to be honest. It was more to do that I had modded Final Fantasy 11 Online back in the days so the 8 years of being on that game, I was bored at that time and was looking for some other game to mod. Especially with nudity. I searched online and the first thing that came up was Oblivion and Fallout 3. I was more intrigued by Fallout 3 because even at that time I was burnt from medieval/fantasy games. I wanted something different. Turns out that a post-nuclear apocalypse was something right up my alley and I didn't even know it yet. It wasn't until I pirated the game, tried it, was blown away the moment I left Vault 101 stepping out into a dystopian world. Liked the so much  that one day when I was in Walmart, I saw the GOTY Edition on a shelf for PC games and I picked it up for retail price of 60USD. Did not regret that purchase. Now that was the first thing that I was looking for with BG3. Does it have nude mods? Yes! One of the major selling points for me. Will it live up to the expecations of Skyrim modding? I don't know. I haven't done my research on that yet. But I mostly do not expect it to. And that's fine.

The only co-workers (in the past) that I've ever ran into that were gamers were WOW gamers. They tried hard enough to convince me to play WOW, but it never caught my attention. I was already playing FFXI Online so I wasn't going to play another MMO. Heck, I remember my final years on FFXI people talking about TES Online. And while my friends back then on FFXI were hopping on the FF14 train, I wasn't. They too desperately wanted me to migrate. But FF14 has such a terrible launch and I was sick of Square Enix and the way they shafted us vertans on FFXI all to accommodate new players ruining the endgame experience we had. Hence my user name. I ran my own guild and ran my own endgame events. Anyways, I told them that I would hop on TESO, but that never happened either. lol I stuck with FO3 and FNV until I got bored of both and been on Skyrim since 2014. I haven't bought any new games so BG3 would be my first modern game I purchase. But I'm not in any rush to buy it. I'll do my research on it first.

I needed something new to play so I got it.

It is pretty good. Well made but not perfect. There was one minor issue (the dead body flailing around due to mechanics) and a strange crash that went to black .. didn't load and couldn't use task manager to kill the game, had to reboot)  This was over about 10 hours of play.

The customization is good, better than most games I have had any experience with or checked into, but not perfect. There are a series of faces to choose from. Not customization of the individual features of the faces that other games have.  hair is another option has a lot of choices but not everyone will like those choices. I had a hard time choosing what I wanted for my character.

Skin and eye tones are decent for your selection, and something I haven't seen with other games that I can remember, you can open up all the colors for all the races if you choose to do so and select one of those.

Scars and such, decent. Has freckles and other such but could use some more options and choices.

They did a decent job on race options and choices and combinations.  Decent on transfering D&D rules over (notice the movement and some other options are different if you are an avid D&D gamer. However, If you are like me, you can catch up well. If you aren't a D&D gamer, it might be more of a challenge to get to truly understand what is going on. The spells act differently IMO than I would expecet them to but still decent.

So out of a 1 to 5 punch the monitor I'd give it a 1 (lower being better of course, don't wan tto replace the monitors of course :P)

There are game play videos out and make sure it is a release verison not the beta that was out when you review the video. Check your favorite review channel and see if this is something you'd like. Well made but won't be the cup of tea for everybody. @endgameaddiction It is a third person game at least. That and reasonably well made considering what has come out in recent years.

Update about 20 hours and two hard crashes. Had to do with scene changes both times. Had to reboot the computer.

The game doesn't hold your hand. One of the most common experiences so far from what I have heard, seen and read is you pass up your companions (you can have 4 and so far they work reasonably well )  I was getting my ass handed to me and I didn't know why. The reason.. I missed some good companions before I advanced (also added experience to raise my level ) to be able to continue.  It is easy to miss them as well.  You have to solve problems and there isn't any hints and in one case of the top of my head, you wouldn't think it was a good idea and miss an opportunity.

Yep.... lol

FYI there is no guidance through game mechanics.  I had a hard time finding something and had to go back (to a previous save as the NPC wouldn't say it again) to find the info then explore and try to figure it out.  So far, game actions has consinquences. If you do bad, you loose some companions.  you can fight and even kill your companions as well. (don't worry, you can get hirelings afterwards only thing you loose is romance options)  No gender block bullshit with romances (from what I have read, not far enough along to have much personal experience with that but so far, seems accurate)  There is racisim in the game as well. Sometimes quite strong.  Sometimes you have benifits depending. For a Drow, you can enter the goblin camp much easier than you can say for a high elf. 

The cut scenes are pretty good. Keep in mind this is a third person top or side down game. The graphics are decent but not to the level of those cut scenes people see. Nothing horrible sometimes the camera gets some issues but excellent or at least on par with other games like this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

There is racisim in the game as well. Sometimes quite strong.  Sometimes you have benifits depending. For a Drow, you can enter the goblin camp much easier than you can say for a high elf.

Good. There's nothing wrong with implementing racism or xenophobia in a video game.

4 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

The cut scenes are pretty good. Keep in mind this is a third person top or side down game. The graphics are decent but not to the level of those cut scenes people see. Nothing horrible sometimes the camera gets some issues but excellent or at least on par with other games like this.

Isometric doesn't bother me since I've played plenty of games with it. And seeing that it's also turned-based combat is a plus for me.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Honestly, it's wayyy overhyped. Don't get me wrong.... it's a good game with a lot of content. Reminds me of old Bioware titles and a few others. But because it's so fucking story driven it doesn't have that much replay value- even with mods I think.

Also think the hate being leveled at Beth's "Spaceballs" is hilarious. Fuck them. Fuck them hard. 😏

With the shit that is being released when a game does a good job (works well) with a very good story (which it does have) and options which actually change the story (fairly well. They could have been a bit better in this regard) the game needs to be hyped.

This great hype is making all the other publishers get pissed off. Shake in their boots etc. And rightfully so. They produce shit and think that shit is what is suppose to be produced and distributed and a game comes along and shows that it doesn't have to be that way.

The key main difference is the hype is very strong on the users side not the fake hype bullshit that is happening with a bugthesda game being released or for that matter most other games.

When a game comes along and works well, has a good story and delivers a satisfying game for those that buy it... it deserves to be hyped out of this world. They need the positive feedback to help overcome all the bullshit that other poor producers create.

I got the game and played it for many hours. Never completed the story and set it aside as It isn't really a game for me. However, I will hype it as a good solid game with meaniful game play to anyone that is intersted in this type of game because of the mention above.

2 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

When a game comes along and works well, has a good story and delivers a satisfying game for those that buy it... it deserves to be hyped out of this world

That's what worries me. Skyrim got that kind of hype at release because of the world building and freedom of character creation/dev I think. And... look what happened to the studio. It went straight to their heads and all the sudden it's just about milking a successful IP for as long as fucking possible! CDPR? Almost the same, though they did try to make a decent game with CP2077. But so many of the team that made TW3 a success are gone because they let their success go straight to their heads.

That, imo, is why we shouldn't overhype any good game ever and be much more critical. Keep those fuckers hungry and they'll keep releasing their best effort and not be resting on their laurels/jumping ship to go work somewhere else because the "woke" BS politics.

Edited by KHL