This thread is for discussing all the things that need to be done to make our game modern (i.e. better than Bethesda's slop).

OpenMW is an engine designed primarily for use with Morrowind. However, there are programmers who are actively adding modern features such as physics. We will need to make our own UI and character creator, among other things.

One issue I have with Skyrim and Fallout 4 is that Bethesda uses tri files for facial animations, but this makes it impossible (I think) to create headgear that morphs with the facial animations. 

In Fallout 4, I had to create a tri file that represented a latex hood, then I had to create a new head part in the creation kit, then I had to use F4SE to "equip" the head part on the PC. 

The hack worked, but I don't like having to create a tri file (which is a lot of work) just to create headgear that responds to facial animations.

This is one of the reasons why I started this project. I am tired of playing in Bethesda's tiny 1' x 1' sandbox with barely any sand to play with.

Wow. First post turned into a rant. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Pretty sure tri, egm, and egt are specific to NIF file format.  No idea how to avoid using them with a Gamebyro based engine, generating them is hit-or-miss.

There is a thread on the OpenMW forum about using alternatives to .Nif. I think they added support for OpenGEX, but I didn't read the whole thread.

OpenGEX as .Nif alternative for OpenMW - openmw.org

I came across this video on YouTube where they used bones to rig a face. I'm leaning towards doing this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doublezero said:

This thread is for discussing all the things that need to be done to make our game modern (i.e. better than Bethesda's slop).

OpenMW is an engine designed primarily for use with Morrowind. However, there are programmers who are actively adding modern features such as physics. We will need to make our own UI and character creator, among other things.

One issue I have with Skyrim and Fallout 4 is that Bethesda uses tri files for facial animations, but this makes it impossible (I think) to create headgear that morphs with the facial animations. 

In Fallout 4, I had to create a tri file that represented a latex hood, then I had to create a new head part in the creation kit, then I had to use F4SE to "equip" the head part on the PC. 

The hack worked, but I don't like having to create a tri file (which is a lot of work) just to create headgear that responds to facial animations.

This is one of the reasons why I started this project. I am tired of playing in Bethesda's tiny 1' x 1' sandbox with barely any sand to play with.

Wow. First post turned into a rant. 😆

Rant away,

Bugthesda deserves all the rants!

• Agree 1