AVOWED - Obsidian's Skyrim clone revealed

Doublezero

Holly Shit.. I thought that was just some rework of Skyrim not something that Obsidian is creating!  Now they are just punking Bethesda!   lol.

that touch of casting a spell .... excellent.

All they really need is some voice acting by Patric Steward... ;) lol. 

I didn't want to have another game manager but if they start putting out stuff like this... I will have to get their manager as well. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind FPS, but it's not my first choice. My go to for FPS is RAGE. I'm intrigued about RAGE 2, but I can't support BSW. I think id Software makes great FPS games. And lastly I enjoyed Half Life back when that game came out. Wish I wouldn't have lent it to a friend back then. Never got it back. Surprising enough I never got into HL2. Beat HL many times.

I guess if it's good, perhaps I'll give it a try. But from what I heard, Outer World writing wasn't that good, so I'd be skeptical about this game.

Preferences, I think we all can understand that. :D  I prefer FPS myself for RPGs but...Witcher was excellent and third person was really fleshed out in that game IMO. Different people, different opinions I am sure.

As for Outer world I have heard nothing but good things about it. At least it isn't Bethesda lol. (yes, Bethesda does have some well rated games like DOOM but they are far in between those that fall flat.. looking at Vault 76.)

From this leak it appears Avowed will have mod support. I'll believe it when I see it but if this is true this may pressure Bethesda to release TES VI this decade.

- fully open world, much much larger than Skyrim (very differently “larger”, more proper word would be “denser” and “more contrasted” at the same time)
- primarily set in the The Living Lands region of Eora (not sure if it’ll go like that as explicit later on, but that was starting point)
- big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics (special focus on physics with magic systems - have no clue what would that mean)
- realtime whether system (don’t have full details but fog is very important as realtime element, rivers will have specific micro physics systems regarding this)
- very advanced character creation tool (didn’t get more info)
- mod support (for now PC is/will be very dominant as creation tool, but I’ll be playable fully on Xbox)
- very large number of fractions but very different approach than with Skyrim
- you’ll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)
- storyset: fight against incoming threat of tyranny (independent from previous stories)
- game has bosses planned and some of them are very very large
- Gods will have special say in the game
- great focus on iconic landmarks, statues and buildings
- two large cities planned with many smaller ones with strong focus on contrasting wild-areas, rivers, mountains and desolated areas (yes, you’ll be able to swim)
- fully respecting POE creatures lore with new additions
- dynamic presentation of dialogue
- for now idea is to keep “you can kill everyone in the game” option
- around 100 people are on the project for 2y (smaller number for 7m of preproduction), in total 2y 7m
- full production is already a thing
- team will still grow
- target date: late 2022/early 2023

https://wccftech.com/avowed-leak-release-mods-scope/

I'll believe it when I see it as well. However, there is also something to consider.. the level of modding support that is available. Might not be as heavy as Bethesda's.

What engine are they using? Wonder if they use Gamebro lol. It would be hillarious if they did and they did a better job.. using THEIR base engine. lol

26 minutes ago, ritualclarity said:

I'll believe it when I see it as well. However, there is also something to consider.. the level of modding support that is available. Might not be as heavy as Bethesda's.

What engine are they using? Wonder if they use Gamebro lol. It would be hillarious if they did and they did a better job.. using THEIR base engine. lol

True, but they do have experience with Gamebryo though. If the rumors are true, they could build a similar engine that's mod friendly and market the hell out of it. If they pull that off the modding support will be there. But that's amusing the game will be popular.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's UE (Unity Engine). Because this game is based in Eora (world), which is the world Pillards of Eternity is based off of POE, which uses UE. Though, I'm not all that familiar with that engine.

Another red flag for me is that this game will be for Win10. I'm not jumping ships from Win7. Sure, they might change that as the game gets downgraded overtime like the way CP2077 is turning out to be graphically. Still a long ways to go for this game, but yeah, modding a first person game, no thanks.

Edited by driftscape

4 hours ago, Doublezero said:

True, but they do have experience with Gamebryo though. If the rumors are true, they could build a similar engine that's mod friendly and market the hell out of it. If they pull that off the modding support will be there. But that's amusing the game will be popular.

The above was a compelling argument against Bethesda being the sole cause of the engine's issues. They couldn't implement it properly. Obsidian likely will be able to. At least they won't likely have the same continual glitches.

As for being popular. That type of game is quite popular and has very few options of quality that has high mod-ability. That I am aware of at least. Create something with a good base to begin with. The stories that they can create and make it highly modable. Hopefully in a better form than Bethesda can and they should be quite popular.  If it is a high quality game I will buy it out of principle. To support a company doing something right. ;)

4 hours ago, driftscape said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's UE (Unity Engine). Because this game is based in Eora (world), which is the world Pillards of Eternity is based off of POE, which uses UE. Though, I'm not all that familiar with that engine.

Another red flag for me is that this game will be for Win10. I'm not jumping ships from Win7. Sure, they might change that as the game gets downgraded overtime like the way CP2077 is turning out to be graphically. Still a long ways to go for this game, but yeah, modding a first person game, no thanks.

You are possibly correct on the engine. Not sure how easy it would be to add a modding framework to it.  (not sure if there are modded games using that game engine publicly sold)

Everything will be Windows 10 going forward.  It is just what is going to h appen. My suggestion is to try to move or upgrade to Windows 10 using a different dedicated machine or a VM with Graphics pass through. The tech is getting much more mature ... Linus and the 2 gamer 1 pc video will help explain that.  you'd be able fire up a Windows 10 system just to do what you have to do minimum. If you don't mind or don't use it much (say a month or so for a game then stop) you can download and run it for several months without even purchasing it. Just have to reload. Might be a way to extend the original install for a longer time.

I was like you and didn't move to Windows 10 for a long time. Now my graphics card is fully recognized and other issues fixed.  can postpone updates as I wish for months. Which is long enough to have them fix the crap they fucked up originally.  Learning more you can turn off services at the registry level (like hibernation which I have done) and a few other settings. You can do stuff to get your windows 10 more tame and work better for you... for the example I have given above. Of coures, it won't be Windows 7 or XP and there will be likely some issues you just don't want to deal with except perhaps for those limited sessions. I am working on this post right now with a VM Linux.  Hypervisors like Unraid can set you up with different systems to get what you need for those few things you need.

That or you have limited to no options going forward. That is the nature of gaming (Windows that is)