What is the purpose of this forum?

Hi, I was just recently invited by ritualclarity to this forums. At first glance it seems like a LL clone. Which begs the question why? Was there some falling out or some sort of disagreement with LL staff? You wanted to try out your own forum?

If it's some sort of falling out with LL staff, I can understand to a certain degree. But I know all of the staff well and had many conversations with them, they all seemed awesome and more than willing to do my requests. As some of you may know I am run the GUN forums so communication was key between the two popular forums.

Trying out your own forum is cool as well but it is hard to get people to use it if it doesn't have a unique feature about it. GUN was known for ported content, LL was known for SexLab Framework. What will this forum be known for? For example, I am actually close friends with MXR Mods and I told him what content GUN had so he registered account over there. What do I tell him about this site?

I'm just curious that is all.

I can't speak for everyone, but as far as what I see:
Right now we don't really HAVE a focus. The primary concern is getting members to be active, contributing, downloading, making posts, commenting on others posts.

Personally:
(and this is going to sound arrogant)
Something NSFWMods has that LL doesn't? Myself and Kendo. I won't go into the details of why... however, I'll say that they've lost my knowledge of Bethesda games, as well as my (extensive) tutorials. (all of which currently need updating, but that's besides the point). I was consistently active in the forums for a long time, helping people who needed help with all manner of games. There was even a point for awhile that I spent googling answers I didn't know, and helping people diagnose problems step by step. 
--That's a helpful attitude that's being lost at other places, and is one that I personally aspire to encourage here.

TL:DR- My personal wish for these forums is a place where people can come, get help, ask questions, share mods, talk about whatever that's related to gaming (or not)... without fear of reprisal from admins. As far as "Something special to offer", I think that's a very solid start. :)

• Like 3

ninja'd by Anatriax :D

To answer the main question this site isn't created because of a falling out with LL. It was created by Doublezero and I doubt he had any motive or issue with LL. I have no problem with LL and still work with people there on projects and help out members as well. It just so happens to have gotten many LL members come over and join. Many of them reported being unhappy with LL for various reasons and wanted to give this site a try.

This forum is pretty new and has went through many changes so far as you know new forums grow and develop. I see your point on having unique feature but from what I know Doublezero and others here aren't concerned about that or even if this site is "popular". I gotten that much from a message from Doublezero earlier in response to a PM I gave him on the subject of growth.

I am actually close friends with MXR Mods and I told him what content GUN had so he registered account over there. What do I tell him about this site?

Tell him that this site is for modders by modders.  We are focused on providing the best environment for modders to do their work communicate and develop their craft without games, gimmicks or fuss in a positive inviting environment.

Tell him we would love to have him check out the site, ask questions and make a decision if he wants to join. We want those that want to be here and respect those that don't.

This is the same for everybody from the complete noob to a 20 year veteran and yes even LL admin is invited to come and check out the site and make a decision for themselves.

Spoiler

off topic... I love that avatar you created. I though my eyes were bugging out for a moment :) Also happy to see you checked out this site even if you decide not to be active here.

If you have any other concerns that you feel that might not be appropriate for public please feel free to PM me for clarification if I can't answer it I will find out the answer for you.

• Like 2

Ultimately I'd like to see this forum become some sort of a modder's resource where not only you can upload/download mods but release scripts, meshes, textures, animations under some sort of a open source license. I believe an open source database of assets would benefit modders greatly.

Edited by Doublezero
Spelling
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, maybenexttime said:

Hi, I was just recently invited by ritualclarity to this forums. At first glance it seems like a LL clone. Which begs the question why? Was there some falling out or some sort of disagreement with LL staff? You wanted to try out your own forum?

If it's some sort of falling out with LL staff, I can understand to a certain degree. But I know all of the staff well and had many conversations with them, they all seemed awesome and more than willing to do my requests. As some of you may know I am run the GUN forums so communication was key between the two popular forums.

Trying out your own forum is cool as well but it is hard to get people to use it if it doesn't have a unique feature about it. GUN was known for ported content, LL was known for SexLab Framework. What will this forum be known for? For example, I am actually close friends with MXR Mods and I told him what content GUN had so he registered account over there. What do I tell him about this site?

I'm just curious that is all.

I will answer this the best way I can.  Note that I am not speaking on behalf of the site, the NSFW staff or Doublezero.  What I type here is my informed opinion and some observations.

As to the 'why?' of NSFW; Doublezero wanted his own forum.  I am not aware of any disagreements he has with Lover's Lab, nor do I care.

NSFWmods being a clone of Lover's Lab; nothing could be farther from the truth.  To go one step more, NSFW is not like NexusMods either.  The key differences are the rules, how they will be enforced, and the NSFW dynamic as a whole.

When I started crafting the rules there were considerations other sites don't account for; primarily that they are on the internet.  From my observations most gaming sites have one critical flaw, and that is the staff and how they interact with the membership.  NexusMods has 'Our interpretation of the rules, not yours.'  Lover's Lab has their 'No drama' rule.  Notice that NSFWmods doesn't have that type of 'Because we said so' rule.  Here, the rules are the rules and everyone with the exception of Doublezero is bound by them when they register.

The NSFW staff will not intervene on a member's behalf and staff favoritism will not be tolerated.  There will not be 'thread clean ups' to protect one member, posts will not be deleted to hide what happens on the open forums, and so on.  The double standards of conduct found on sites like NexusMods and Lover's Lab won't happen here.  Everyone is held to the same level of accountability and there aren't two sets of rules.

The NSFW staff will not be using personal bias or ideological beliefs as measures for the rules.  Unlike NexusMods or Lover's Lab the NSFW staff won't be correcting people based on personal preferences.  NSFWmods is a U.S. site and the 1st Amendment does apply here.  We might not agree with what someone says, but they are allowed to say it provided it doesn't break the rules or violate the law.

The NSFW staff will not be protecting SJWs or advocating political correctness.  PC thinking and SJW activism were the reasons NexusMod turned into the intolerant mess it is in 2011 and Lover's Lab is now on that path as well.  That's not going to happen here.  SJWs will not be coddled like they are elsewhere.  The last thing we want to see is NSFWmods becoming an extension of social media and the mentality that brings.  The PC thought police are going to have a rough time here.

Something else that won't come into play is the 'Nexus Nanny State' staff mentality.  Members are on their own here.  It isn't the NSFW staff's job to police every member and make sure they behave.  Trolling, hate, being a dick, ad hominem attacks and generally being a douche isn't against the rules.  The only place that sort of conduct is not allowed is in mod upload threads and the associated support topics; can't troll the modders on their own pages.  Everywhere else is fair game.  This is a departure from the NexusMods site model so many game sites now use.  That is intentional.  Instead of looking to game sites look at YouTube, the Chans, Reddit, SmithMicro, Renderosity, etc. and how they handle things.  They treat their members like adults and we're doing the same thing.

"They're saying things I don't like and they're being mean to me!"

"Yeah.  Welcome to the internet."

As for site draw and getting people to come here, NFSW doesn't have a niche.  That might come, but for now the site is focused on mods, modding support and exclusive content.  Something this site has that others might not is staff scruples.  There won't be any 'because we said so' staff wankery people have to endure on other sites.  There will be exceptions in extreme circumstances but evoking staff privilege 'just because' won't be part of the moderation tool kit, much less the only tool we know how to use.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

• Like 5