NMM 0.61.+ Tutorial, help and support

Elf Prince

• 2 weeks later...

Click Yes, to allow Nexus Mod Manager to sort your mods using predefined categories.

http://hubpages.com/games-hobbies/How-to-use-Nexus-Mod-Manager-to-download-install-uninstall-and-manage-Skyrim-Oblivion-Morrowind-and-Witcher-2-mods#

^ (for you Elfprince) Someone created a pretty good page for reference. I know you collect them so I thought I'd add this to your collection, just created :)

Not sure how to do it now, years ago it was just clicking somewhere (can't remember where lol) in the catagories and selecting "new" then placing the name you desire and then selecting mods for the new category

14 hours ago, Anatriax said:

Mr Elf Prince, is there a way to make custom categories in NMM? I'm using for FO 4 (v0.61.16) and I'd like an "Armour" and "Armour Mod" categories as separate.

Yes there is. Just open NMM and rightclick on any Category. A new menu will show up. Add a new category and rename it as you wish. :)  See the picture:

P.S. Sorry for late answer. I was so occupied with soe other stuff + had to reinstall FF.

2016-04-17 09_15_17-Program Manager.png

Edited by Elf Prince

7 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

Click Yes, to allow Nexus Mod Manager to sort your mods using predefined categories.

http://hubpages.com/games-hobbies/How-to-use-Nexus-Mod-Manager-to-download-install-uninstall-and-manage-Skyrim-Oblivion-Morrowind-and-Witcher-2-mods#

^ (for you Elfprince) Someone created a pretty good page for reference. I know you collect them so I thought I'd add this to your collection, just created :)

Not sure how to do it now, years ago it was just clicking somewhere (can't remember where lol) in the catagories and selecting "new" then placing the name you desire and then selecting mods for the new category

Thanks for the tip ritual. The tip you showed is what NMM does on the first install for every new game added to be scanned by NMM. When NMM recognized a new game installed and added to NMM scanning system, it offers sorting categories for the player according to the existing mods present on Nexus. All later categories (none existing) has to be added manually. For instance. I had to add new categories for Maria Eden Prostitution and RCOTS. :)

Thanks for the page link too. I copied some tips from it to my OP and still checking on it from time to time. It is good to have it. :)

Edited by Elf Prince

NMM like MO has categories. I am not sure why this us so useful for some and why people spend so much time on creating categories. I ask (politely :)) because you went through and created custom categories for your selected mods. It might be something that I might want to look deeper into. I have played with categories even way back when I used NMM but never really "saw a reason" for it. Could be I wasn't using it to the greatest benefit as I at that time had usually less than 100 mods installed at any time.

What are the benefits and if there are any, what are the drawbacks?

1 hour ago, ritualclarity said:

NMM like MO has categories. I am not sure why this us so useful for some and why people spend so much time on creating categories. I ask (politely :)) because you went through and created custom categories for your selected mods. It might be something that I might want to look deeper into. I have played with categories even way back when I used NMM but never really "saw a reason" for it. Could be I wasn't using it to the greatest benefit as I at that time had usually less than 100 mods installed at any time.

What are the benefits and if there are any, what are the drawbacks?

Ok. here is the example. Maria Eden prostitution mod wasn't uploaded to Nexus. So NMM can't tag it and place it under specific category. I know, this (Nexus) policy is "stupid" but it is as it is. Since MEP is not tagged by Nexus, NMM can't place it in proper category. So, it place it in Undefined category, like all other mods that aren't uploaded to Nexus. So Since MEP have several additional mods, creating a new category is good because you can have all MEP mods in one category instead of in Undefined with others. It helps you to access your mods much faster and manipulate with them as you want.

The good thing in NMM is that once you move certain mod to other category (even newly created) NMM remembers it so when you install a new NMM version from the scratch, it will hold all mods into their categories unless you uninstall those mods and reinstall them. I mean, the mods that aren't uploaded to Nexus.

• Like 1

Our current tests involve the new ‘Profile backup and sharing’ functionality. Here a user can save their mod profile and have it backed up on the Nexus Mods site. This profile can either be kept as a personal backup, available only to yourself, or it can be shared with other users, allowing them to download any mods they’re missing from your profile and have it setup exactly how you have it (including scripted installer options, installation order and load order). The result being they can play their game with the exact same mods and options as yourself.

Found here.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12765/?

If it works it will be dam awesome, don't you think

12 minutes ago, Elf Prince said:

ritual - yeap, it's very interesting. I'm sorry for late answer. Somehow I neglected this site. :(

Yes... :(

It is understandable. You were working so hard on your threads and updating and such and likely just needed a few moments to yourself. :). We all need these time to re-energize. Anyway if they do accomplish this.. it will be a major game changer. Mod Organizer has nothing on that. ;). Hell if this is really functional as I understand it. Anatriax might be doing her next tutorial using NMM lol. Then she can just give us the needed file and ... wait a few days of downloading.. lol and done. :P.. It is really only Nexus mods but still that is a major feature. From some post I heard that it might even work with other mods from different sites provided you have them downloaded already. If this is the case.. then DAMMMM!!!! that is a killer mod manager. This is coming from a confirmed MO user and lover of all things MO.. :).

PS. Might have some issues trying to start up NMM for Fallout 4. (no MO use, not stable to the point I want it :(). Might be posting back later for some answers. having some issues with the "multi HD" option (I believe it is called). Don't have the time to do anything currently on this. yet.

Thanks for a nice words ritual.

I've been studying a lot about NMM, troubleshooting, mod testing and similar things. I believe that new NMM "makeover" will be a major improvement in NMM's stability and mod's behaving (installation/uninstallation) and profile management. Can't wait to see it.

Anatriax is a female :o??? Didn't know that. :D Surprise surprise.

As for multi HD option,it's still in "Beta" development. Not very stable but it works. (that's what I red).

Forgot to say that beside NMM research, I'm very busy with my Sims 3 projects. The new one is about incest :ph34r: Working together with a friend of mine from LL.

Edited by Elf Prince

Anatriax is a female :o??? Didn't know that. :D Surprise surprise.

Who said that.. ?

That person is lying. :P

She is an alien like me.. lol.

As for multi HD option,it's still in "Beta" development. Not very stable but it works. (that's what I red).

That explains things. I assume then for the best bang for my buck I need to install NMM on the same drive as where the game I want managed is installed? Or does it go with the drive that has Steam installed on (if that is different. )

Yes, since VirtualInstall requires the Skyrim game root, it is the best to install it on the same drive.

Anyway when you use the multi-hd mode, you can save space by selecting the VirtualInstall folder to be on a different drive from the game's one, so you'll get all the heavy textures and meshes on it (but also keep in mind that if you put those files on a slow HD, then you could get slow downs while in game).

Problem is, there as some files that won't work using this system, or at least not for everyone (.esp, .esm, .exe and some other), that's why you'll need to setup that NMMLink folder that NMM will use as a container for all those files that needs to be located on the same hard-disk as the game.

Virtual Install should be set on the drive where you want the files to be physically installed (this must be on the same HD as the game (or better where mod files are usually installed), or anywhere if you use multiHD).

If you enable MultiHD mode, you must set the Link folder on the drive where the game is located (or better where the game's Data folder is located), you select a path, NMM will automatically add to it {GameName}/NMMLink

Edited by Elf Prince