nVidia 1080 will be released soon!

ritualclarity

I just saw that the Nvidia's new graphics card will be released. According to what I read that the 1080 will be more powerful than a TitanX O.o

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/7/11615806/nvidia-gtx-1080-1070-pascal-specs-price-release-date

I love the catchphrase of "Almost irresponsible amounts of performance". lol

Claiming twice the VR performance and three times the power efficiency of the Titan X

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/a-quantum-leap-in-gaming:-nvidia-introduces-geforce-gtx-1080

For those that can't afford the newest and greatest I expect the pricing of the GTX980/GTX970s to drop major time very soon.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

And it will start a raging fire in my tinker-toy rig. xD

The real bomb-drop came, however, when Huang went on to proclaim both the GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 will be faster than the company’s previous generation monster $1000 flagship graphics card, the GeForce GTX Titan X, but are priced at $599 and $379 respectively.  The GeForce GTX 1080 will also be faster than a pair of previous gen GeForce GTX 980 cards in SLI, which are also roughly a $1000 investment. Once these cards hit our test bench at HotHardware, if this all proves out (and we have no reason to believe otherwise), this could very well mark the best high performance 3D graphics value proposition NVIDIA has offered gamers in a very long time. Essentially, the new cards mark a multiple leap in performance for a drastic cost reduction. The $379 GeForce GTX 1070 especially will offer PC gamers with more modest budgets a level of performance many quite frankly have only dreamed of.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2016/05/07/nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070-powerful-price-performance-ratio-for-gamers/#7ab82ff26723

At first I was in disbelievf however considering their past and the competition with ATI and the advent of the new technology were they can go lower. I believe this will be the case. This is however reference models not the aftermarket models that will come out later.

Yeah, when I saw this announced the other night, I about fell over.   I sort of expected the performance gain, but what blew me away was the amount of gain, coupled with the price, plus the fact that the thing only draws 180W !

I immediately decided that this is what I am going to save for, for my next upgrade.

But also, in addition to that 1070, that is $379,   it is rumored that there is a 1060 version also, that will be released in the fall, that will be around $200, targeting budget and entry level.   

It might even be possible that the 1060 would be about as powerful as the current 970 as well. :). I'd imagine that would be great for a microbuild considering the big boy is only at 180 watts the 1060 has to be a massive amount lower.

Another thing that I thought of if they are so good now with he current lineup. Wouldn't that mean that they will totally kick the ass of the gaming laptop segment? The power requirements for the main board at 180 watts I can only imagine what the efficiency of their laptop versions would be. That combined with the more laptops having  gsync monitor ... Laptop fans might be rejoicing as well.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

That is more then enough power to do what most people need to do. Unless you are running 4K monitors you should be fine. Basically if your game looks great and runs smooth you don't need a better graphics card ;)

actually i have a 4K monitor :P and Skyrim runs well and smooth but if i play for some time the card overheats and the game freezes (said this way sounds funny ;) )

Edited by Karma199696
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Karma199696 said:

actually i have a 4K monitor :P and Skyrim runs well and smooth but if i play for some time the card overheats and the game freezes (said this way sounds funny ;) )

Ah then it sucks as some of the resources state it will be much better for the 4K monitors than the 980.  Still new enough that you might be able to sell it but it will be much less than you paid for it. However at lest you would get some of the money back to get the 1080

• Like 2