Small Town: Ideas for a new world space

So. I've been sitting around thinking, and I have a vision of a new world space for Fallout 4. However, I don't want to do it as a simple quest addon for existing content. (maybe that's how it should start, just to make sure quests and all of that are working properly, and the world space is as desired).

The idea, is you create a new character and load into the new world space. This would be a new story line (maybe not with the stunning opening), and essentially a new game. 

I have an idea of what I'd like done. A very solid idea. 

I just want to make it a team effort. 

Anyone want to contribute? :D

4 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

Basically you are talking about an Alternate Start mod?

No. 

A totally separate worldspace from the Commonwealth, with a new story, new NPCs, and everything included. 

Nothing huge to start. It would definitely have to start as a quest add in for existing FO4. Eventually, though... I want to do something along the lines of what was done with Nehrim and Oblivion. Same game engine. Different story. Different world, eventually. That's the goal, anyhow.

That is a HUGE endeavor. You will need lots of people. Frontier has been building for more than 2 years and still not ready for release. (that is something along he lines of what I believe you are discussing). A giant team worked on Project Brazil. That is if I understand the process.

Spoiler

I don't have any skills.. :( and haven't even really tested the tutorial to its fullest (beyond level 2) even. I do have a backup of it ready just in case something happens though so there is that. I just haven't had much time to do anything gaming wise. (did play a bit of Deadrising recently but only the first level). I can't even really test what you have working (as i have only briefly tested your tutorial to know with some confidence that it works great with a few tweaks etc likely due to my placement of a few things etc, nothing major).

If I do end up with any time I'll let you know... Not sure what I could do but no harm in giving it a try :)

Have you tried posting this on other sites to get more interest?

2 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

That is a HUGE endeavor. You will need lots of people. Frontier has been building for more than 2 years and still not ready for release. (that is something along he lines of what I believe you are discussing). A giant team worked on Project Brazil. That is if I understand the process.

Reveal hidden contents

I don't have any skills.. :( and haven't even really tested the tutorial to its fullest (beyond level 2) even. I do have a backup of it ready just in case something happens though so there is that. I just haven't had much time to do anything gaming wise. (did play a bit of Deadrising recently but only the first level). I can't even really test what you have working (as i have only briefly tested your tutorial to know with some confidence that it works great with a few tweaks etc likely due to my placement of a few things etc, nothing major).

If I do end up with any time I'll let you know... Not sure what I could do but no harm in giving it a try :)

Have you tried posting this on other sites to get more interest?

Not yet. I'll get there. I want to learn more of what I'm doing with CK first.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What did you have in mind? I can't say I'd be able to contribute as I'm already working on two mods. But I would love to hear what your idea was and maybe discuss techniques to do with world space formation.

I've made a separate worldspace that ties into a mod in Skyrim. It's not very big, 7x7 cells (a little bigger but everything outside of that is water or icebergs). I didn't use any generation tools like l3dt and heightmaps, I just sculpted it all by hand. It has been fun but it was an enormous time sink (if I could start over I'd do it differently). I have reiterated over it so many times, worrying that it was too flat, too sparse etc.

An idea that I had that must involve a separate worldspace (but not an alternative to the main game start). This isn't one of the mods I am working on currently but maybe for the future. (I've written dialogue for it but done no work in the CK )

I really love the Brotherhood of Steel and I have this huge role play desire to be a scribe in their ranks. What I imagined was adding a new officer aboard the Prydwen that assigned missions for aspiring scribes. You would be a scribe with a group of Brotherhood soldiers who effectively acted as your bodyguards on a mission. You're the brains, they're the brawn. You would board the vertibird on the deck of the Prydwen and a prompt asks if you're ready to undertake that mission. Assuming you do , load screen to you and your team aboard a vertibird coming in to land at the location of interest. Which would be a relatively small worldspace bounded by the Bethesda style obliterated landscape you see around the glowing sea and the "you shall not pass" scripted collision planes to ensure you don't wander too far off mission. The size of that space would differ from mission to mission but nothing too big. As for the mission I envisage it more about getting to know the team you're with. Some of them might be the typical BoS hardass, others much more relatable. And I think a cool metric for mission success would be how many made it back alive, despite the hostilities encountered or, more importantly, any story driven infighting during the mission.

2 hours ago, Carabosse said:

What did you have in mind? I can't say I'd be able to contribute as I'm already working on two mods. But I would love to hear what your idea was and maybe discuss techniques to do with world space formation.

I've made a separate worldspace that ties into a mod in Skyrim. It's not very big, 7x7 cells (a little bigger but everything outside of that is water or icebergs). I didn't use any generation tools like l3dt and heightmaps, I just sculpted it all by hand. It has been fun but it was an enormous time sink (if I could start over I'd do it differently). I have reiterated over it so many times, worrying that it was too flat, too sparse etc.

An idea that I had that must involve a separate worldspace (but not an alternative to the main game start). This isn't one of the mods I am working on currently but maybe for the future. (I've written dialogue for it but done no work in the CK )

I really love the Brotherhood of Steel and I have this huge role play desire to be a scribe in their ranks. What I imagined was adding a new officer aboard the Prydwen that assigned missions for aspiring scribes. You would be a scribe with a group of Brotherhood soldiers who effectively acted as your bodyguards on a mission. You're the brains, they're the brawn. You would board the vertibird on the deck of the Prydwen and a prompt asks if you're ready to undertake that mission. Assuming you do , load screen to you and your team aboard a vertibird coming in to land at the location of interest. Which would be a relatively small worldspace bounded by the Bethesda style obliterated landscape you see around the glowing sea and the "you shall not pass" scripted collision planes to ensure you don't wander too far off mission. The size of that space would differ from mission to mission but nothing too big. As for the mission I envisage it more about getting to know the team you're with. Some of them might be the typical BoS hardass, others much more relatable. And I think a cool metric for mission success would be how many made it back alive, despite the hostilities encountered or, more importantly, any story driven infighting during the mission.

1 hour ago, Carabosse said:

Ah that's a shame. And I could have avoided that big blurb :)

Tak.

Ah.. in any case that idea you have is pretty good. I haven't explored the BOS questline yet.

I myself haven't done the full BOS quest line yet.  I got pissed off when I went to go join them and do their storyline and they turned out to be stuck up pricks!  I was hoping for a BOS continuation from F3, not well what we got. 

Carabosse, what you described sounds like it would be fun.  Textures and Dialogue only thing I have messed with much in the CK so far.  Heck I even tried to see if one of Kendo's body textures could be altered to fit the cbbe body for my game.  I failed horribly.