Reducing the number of random SexLab crashes

bjornk

This isn't a *tutorial* or anything, I just wanted to share my experiences and thoughts with people who have been experiencing similar issues, also wanted it to be a future reference for me as well.

So here's the issue; the game randomly crashes to desktop right before the SexLab animation starts (i.e. before the first "stage" of the animation). It's random, as in it doesn't happen all the time, otherwise it would be much easier to figure out what's going on.

With the complex mod setups, which feature many plugins, scripts, DLLs etc. it's really difficult to identify these kinds of problems. You have already checked the SKSE & Papyrus logs and there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. You think it's possibly a SexLab related, so check its settings. The SexLab actor scaling is already disabled and the crash prevention feature below it is already enabled. You already have the DLL that prevents "Pure Virtual Function Call" crashes. Yet, you still get these random crashes and you have absolutely no clue of the cause. You try to figure out what actually happens between the activation of a SexLab animation and the first stage of the animation, in your particular mod setup that is, because there are quite a few things that may interfere with this sequence of events.

- SexLab actor scaling.
- Undressing/unequipping (replacing armor with naked body mesh) (see my "weird eye glitch" thread)
- Assigning/equipping "schlongs" etc.
- Applying "arousal" values to schlongs and widgets etc.
- Handling "Devious Devices" or ZAZ items.
- Overriding SexLab animations with some others (as DD or ZAZ does).
- Overriding SexLab voices and expressions.
- Assigning facial animations.
- Adjusting or rather removing the additional heel height.
- Temporarily adding or removing UI widgets and features.

etc. are some of the things that come to mind and many of these things may be interfered or interrupted by some other mods that you have in your setup. So in order to isolate the problem, you have to remove most of these interference from the equation.

Here are some of the things you may try:

• If you're using Devious Devices, disable all interactions between DD and SexLab. Disable all animation overriding options. If you're not using an item hider slot and enabled "Use QueueNiNode", then disable it and pick a slot instead.
  • If you're using ZAZ Animation Pack, do not register its animations to be used in SexLab, do not let it override SexLab animations, voices and expressions.
  • Reduce the number of "schlong" types to just one and lower the distribution probability (i.e. make it 100%). In other words, let everyone use the same exact schlong and the same exact schlong size.
  • Do not link SexLab Aroused arousal values to schlongs in any way. Do this for creatures as well, if you're using MNC etc., I don't.
  • If you have any SKSE DLLs that may be doing something potentially related to the list of things above, try disabling them or at least try reducing the number of things they do, such as removing UI widgets, disabling certain player controls and abilities etc. Modify their INI files as such, if they have one.
  • One of the things I have in my current setup, which I normally avoid like plague, is nioverride.dll aka. the NetImmerse Override SKSE plugin, which also comes with Race Menu as well if you're using it. It's a super crappy piece of shit that potentially gives you all sorts of crashes as well as corrupt, snowballing saves and co-saves etc. Find its INI file and disable everything other than the stuff you absolutely need.

If doing all of these things has reduced the number of random SexLab crashes, or perhaps completely eliminated them, then the real issue lies in one of these other mods that you have and/or the interaction between them. I have done all of these in my own mod setup and while I still haven't been able to pinpoint the exact issue, I definitely get much less random SexLab crashes now.

Edited by bjornk

You left out the primary culprit of 'sexlab' crashes; DEVIOUS DEVICES.  Unistalling that mod and it's trash code will cut your 'sexlab' crashes by 90%.  I can run Sexlab and associated mods without issue (no more crashes than I already expect from Skyrim).  Devious Devices causes cell crashes where there shouldn't be any.  It's always been that way.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

You left out the primary culprit of 'sexlab' crashes; DEVIOUS DEVICES.

Pretty sure I have mentioned it more than once.

I absolutely loathe that mod by the way. Don't want the discuss it in this thread, but almost all DD related mods have one thing in common, slap a stupid device on the player characters at every opportunity and prevent them from actually playing the game. Any time you try to build something around a particular mechanic (SexLab itself is no different btw) as opposed to building a setting first then adding the mechanics, you are creating something that's destined to become a monotonous, tedious piece of stupid shit.

Edited by bjornk
  • Agree 2