TES Talk: Favorite Race & Why

endgameaddiction

TES Talk: Which Is Your Favorite Existing Race & Why?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Existing Races

• Altmer (High Elf)
    • Argonian
    • Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    • Breton
    • Dunmer (Dark Elf)
    • Imperial
    • Khajiit
    • Nord
    • Orismer (Orc)
    • Redguard
    • Falmer (Snow Elf)

A discussion about The Elder's Scroll Races and which is your favorite. I only added playable races and added Snow Elves because they would be a playable race if it wasn't for the only two known to exist from Dawnguard DLC. I didn't think it was necessary to include every single race like goblins, giants nymphs, etc. because the list would just be too long. However, with that said, if there is a race that isn't listed, it would be interesting to still know what draws you to that race.

Which race is your favorite and what is it about that race that makes it your favorite?

Edited by endgameaddiction

After a long time playing Skyrim and being a lore freak of TES, I have chosen Dunmer because I really like their culture and how Morrowind looks. I think the Dunmer are profoundly skilled in magic just as much as combat. Especially, being assassins. I am heavily attracted to their culture being influenced to Hindu. And overall I genuinely like their choice of attire. I'm sure there are more reasons, but that is what I can currently think of.

And I do like the fact that they choose to worship Daedric Princes over Aedra. I'm mostly a fan of Hermaeus Mora, But I also do like Azura and Mephala.

Edited by endgameaddiction

When I first played Skyrim I gave all the human and elf races a shot; for me Nords are the best.  Nothing can beat that 50% frost resistance.  Combine that with the Agent of Mara perk, the Lord Stone and one rank of Magic Resistance from the Alteration tree and you're immune to 90% of the enemies in the game.

1 hour ago, Kendo 2 said:

When I first played Skyrim I gave all the human and elf races a shot; for me Nords are the best.  Nothing can beat that 50% frost resistance.  Combine that with the Agent of Mara perk, the Lord Stone and one rank of Magic Resistance from the Alteration tree and you're immune to 90% of the enemies in the game.

Aside from playable race, what about lore-wise?

9 hours ago, bjornk said:

Not really into TES lore, but for Skyrim, Breton is my favorite, cause I like playing as a Forsworn native, even though the game doesn't support it at all, I wish it did.

There was a mod that started you off as a Forsworn native ... not all forsworn were friendly but your local area where you started was. You could be other things as well. Forget the mod. Not quite what I'd suspect you'd want but it is better than nothing. ... I guess.

6 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

There was a mod that started you off as a Forsworn native ... not all forsworn were friendly but your local area where you started was. You could be other things as well. Forget the mod. Not quite what I'd suspect you'd want but it is better than nothing. ... I guess.

There were a bunch of Forsworn RP mods on Nexus but they were rather old and mostly unfinished.

If you can maintain the Forsworn role-playing throughout the whole game, then the only way to turn the player character into an actual Forsworn native is to add yourself into the Forsworn faction by using the console command player.addfac 43599. (By the way, using Alternate Start (LAL)'s Forsworn start only adds you to Druadach faction only (E3609), which doesn't make much sense and isn't really what I want).

This kind of role-playing is most definitely not for everyone as it requires a significant amount of conscious role-playing and deliberate choices, such as:

- Do not kill the Forsworn
- Do not loot their stuff
- Actively ally yourself with them (e.g. help them in their fights)
- Treat the Nords as your enemy

Some of these things most definitely conflict with the game, which, unfortunately, treats the Forsworn as an "enemy faction" and often pits the player against the Forsworn (e.g. sends you to kill them to get some item from them). 

Adding yourself into the Forsworn faction causes every Forsworn and hagraven in the game to become friendly (makes you realize they're actually quite decent people), however, as a side effect, because of the idiotic and lazy Bethesda design, it also makes some of the hags and witches (they're often elves) friendly, but I can live with that and pretend that they're allies.

As you may realize, this creates a situation which is fairly easy to exploit. You not only eliminate a significant "enemy" faction in the game, but you can also freely take their stuff, which I'm pretty sure not everyone's cup of tea, and it also creates situations where you have to resort to alternate methods (e.g. using console commands) to get through certain quests (e.g. collecting hagraven heads, briarhearts, Red Eagle's sword). It's certainly doable but requires a conscious effort.

Skyrim is designed and meant to be played as a MALE NORD. Every other race and gender requires some amount of deliberate role-playing (i.e. making things up) due to some minor and some major conflicts with the story and the lore, where things don't make much sense. Other races and females are basically afterthoughts, added to give you the illusion of choice, cause there's only a tiny, insignificant amount of content in the game that supports role-playing as another race (other than a male Nord) in a meaningful way. Creating the illusion of a thing rather than the actual thing is how Bethesda manage to hide their incompetence in their games.

Edited by bjornk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bjornk said:

There were a bunch of Forsworn RP mods on Nexus but they were rather old and mostly unfinished.

If you can maintain the Forsworn role-playing throughout the whole game, then the only way to turn the player character into an actual Forsworn native is to add yourself into the Forsworn faction by using the console command player.addfac 43599. (By the way, using Alternate Start (LAL)'s Forsworn start only adds you to Druadach faction only (E3609), which doesn't make much sense and isn't really what I want).

This kind of role-playing is most definitely not for everyone as it requires a significant amount of conscious role-playing and deliberate choices, such as:

- Do not kill the Forsworn
- Do not loot their stuff
- Actively ally yourself with them (e.g. help them in their fights)
- Treat the Nords as your enemy

Some of these things most definitely conflict with the game, which, unfortunately, treats the Forsworn as an "enemy faction" and often pits the player against the Forsworn (e.g. sends you to kill them to get some item from them). 

Adding yourself into the Forsworn faction causes every Forsworn and hagraven in the game to become friendly (makes you realize they're actually quite decent people), however, as a side effect, because of the idiotic and lazy Bethesda design, it also makes some of the hags and witches (they're often elves) friendly, but I can live with that and pretend that they're allies.

As you may realize, this creates a situation which is fairly easy to exploit. You not only eliminate a significant "enemy" faction in the game, but you can also freely take their stuff, which I'm pretty sure not everyone's cup of tea, and it also creates situations where you have to resort to alternate methods (e.g. using console commands) to get through certain quests (e.g. collecting hagraven heads, briarhearts, Red Eagle's sword). It's certainly doable but requires a conscious effort.

Skyrim is designed and meant to be played as a MALE NORD. Every other race and gender requires some amount of deliberate role-playing (i.e. making things up) due to some minor and some major conflicts with the story and the lore, where things don't make much sense. Other races and females are basically afterthoughts, added to give you the illusion of choice, cause there's only a tiny, insignificant amount of content in the game that supports role-playing as another race (other than a male Nord) in a meaningful way. Creating the illusion of a thing rather than the actual thing is how Bethesda manage to hide their incompetence in their games.

Thanks, haven't really evenplayed Skyrim for years much less much of those mods. So not aware of howgood they are. I agree, there needs to be a total rework for the game. It would be great if there was a total rework for all factions and or races... :D  But the chances of that happening is slim, even more now that nexus has lost their fucking mind.

• 1 month later...