New features coming to NSFWmods.com agian

Doublezero

The IPS developers have revealed some of the new features and changes in their next major release. One of these new features are reactions.

Reactions

IPS Community Suite has long had a reputation system; first we had a simple up/down system, later updated to introduce a Likes system as an alternative. Whichever system you chose to use, it tied in with our reputation system.

We're pleased to introduce the latest updates to the reputation system, and it's something that has been requested for quite some time: Reactions.

Quite simply, reactions allow users to offer more fine-grained sentiments towards content than a simple up/down or 'like'. They are now in common usage on social networks, and so users expect to be able to be more nuanced in their response to something they see.

Let's see how they work in a post, and then cover the options you'll have available.

reactions.gif.09353cff2974b5aa5be9e7a674d8243b.gif

What you see above is the default setup for a site that has used the Like system in version 4.1. We include 5 reactions by default:

• Thanks
  • Confused
  • Sad
  • Haha

If you currently use the older style up/down reputation system, don't fret - you'll still get the new reactions on upgrade, but they'll be disabled by default and instead the new reaction UI will show up/down reactions. This gives you the flexibility to decide which of the new reactions, if any, you want to allow.

So, those are the basics - but what configuration options can you expect to see? First, you can of course add your own reactions! We expect that beyond the default reactions you'd expect to find, some sites will want reaction types specific to their use-case. On an intranet, you might want to have 'agree' and 'disagree' reactions for staff to use when responding to discussions. On a gaming community, you might replace the icons to be some graphic from a video game that means something to your particular userbase. There's a wealth of possibilities.

Each reaction you set up can be configured to adjust the original author's reputation count - a reaction can be positive (i.e. award a reputation point), negative (i.e. subtract a reputation point), or neutral (i.e. leave the reputation count unchanged). Our default set won't include any negative reactions, but you are free to configure these and new reactions to suit your own use-case. A user's total reputation count is still shown alongside their content and in their profile, of course.

If you don't want to use the new reactions for whatever reason, you can disable all of them except Like, and it'll behave just the like 4.1-and-earlier system:

react_like.gif.46bc8aa1d5ea04b4397240d50c4f2c95.gif

Sites that currently use the up/down system don't show a list of names of users, and instead show an overall reputation score for the content. With the new reaction system, you can enable this even if you don't use up/down reactions. This is great if you plan to use reactions as, for example, an agree/disagree system, or where the content score is more important to your site than the individual reaction types.

reactwho.thumb.png.b80fb333a696229623c2564799fc6e9e.png

On touch devices, on-hover functionality is not suitable, and so for these devices the reactions UI looks like this:

react_mobile.gif.129127997108a3d561ca4c92dfe3c04d.gif

Reactions play well with all areas of the suite, including Recommended Replies:

react_recommend.thumb.png.58b642e6cf24854abdd0a1b0998c429f.png

...and activity streams...

react_activity.thumb.png.a0a4fee50aed106d557db18e501cb8ce.png

https://invisionpower.com/news/new-reactions-r1016/

• Like 1

I haven't heard of any problems uploading screenshots.

I didn't see a thread for support so I created one here.

@Doublezero

Perhaps we could consider a subforum for supporting the site? 

@asenasen

Please post the issue you are having over on the support thread I just created with all the needed info, If  you have these screenshots uploaded elsewhere give a link so that Doublezero, Kendo or myself could try to get them uploaded where you want. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

You could use Feedback & Suggestions for just site improvements and changes while keeping the other for technical issues with the site itself.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like a nice feature for sure, but think that's necessary for the amount of active and engaged people right now? Are you paying for these features? If not, then seems cool, but if so, seems like something you could add later when more people are engaged in the community to form or join clubs. Either way, take what I said with a grain of salt, I'm just concerned these features won't be abused any time soon.

Just my thoughts.

Oh, I find the club feature pretty fascinating as well.

Edited by Guest
forgot to add more sugar to my comment.

It sounds interesting, the new features. Maybe the club option draw more attention to this board.

Hmmm attention, I remember only this quote (if we are already with film quotes)

Spoiler

S: What did I say? I said go in, get the map, and get out again: low profile. Do you know what the words "low profile" mean?

R:  "How's your hand, Rich?" It hurts like a fucking son of a bitch, thanks for asking, Seth!

S: Let me tell you what low profile is not! Low profile is not taking girls hostage. It is not blowing up a gas station. It is not shooting a cop in the fucking head!

R: Bitch, bitch, bitch.

Edited by zilvradrow