The only future for video games is through the use of A.I.

bjornk

...as I have said many times before for decades... Imagine yourself arguing with people who defended Fallout 4's dialogue interface in an age of intelligent virtual assistants (Siri, Cortana etc.)... anyway, not gonna lecture you about that right now (though I might, later on), just gonna share some stuff related to this topic...

Note that there's also a HUGE dilemma in the increasing use of AI in seemingly everything we do. It will create many social issues, massive unemployment etc. just like the Industrial Revolution, most likely will be far worse. It is another and definitely more important topic to discuss, but not in this thread, which is mainly for fun. Perhaps there won't be "a future" for video games, BECAUSE of AI, who knows... Edit: Human civilization will NOT survive the climate change, so perhaps we shouldn't worry about the AI either... well then let us enjoy our few remaining decades playing with AI...

Skyrim - AI voiced dialogues (for the player and NPCs)...

Morrowind - NPCs voiced by AI

Fallout NV

ChatGPT in Bannerlord (NPC dialogues thru AI)

Edited by bjornk

It's very interesting because it's much more seamless than the one used on Nexus. And the added benefit is that words are not limited. So you can create dialogue beyond the limitation of what is available or since that can already be done, it doesn't come off choppy. Another thing is how the word that is being said will be much more fluid than dissecting words from different dialogues, mashing them together and having an unbalanced tone because the words you mashed together were said with a different expression/emotion. it's great for new quest dialogue and including it for existing quests. One of the reasons why I avoided a lot of well developed mods was due to bad voice acting, lack of a good voice actor, or simply just not having the mic set up right, like in a studio so it sounds awkward.

@endgameaddiction I've recently been using an AI generated "voice pack" for the mod "Sexist Guards" in Skyrim and most of what you say is true for at least half of the AI generated talk, but occasionally the quality is indistinguishable from an actually voice acted line, which, by the way, makes the game quite amusing. When the overall quality of the AI generated speech is more of less the same and it doesn't sound robotic, I think it's preferable to not having speech at all.

Procedures, training time and the quality of training sets are very important in AI based speech generation, so the quality will no doubt improve in the future. The only downside of using AI generated voices in games locally is the massive size of the generated sound files, which requires a significant amount of storage space and memory.

Edited by bjornk
  • Agree 1

Keep in mind that the free accounts that these AI companies offer are nothing but a basic demo and are pretty limited in what you can do. Despite that I wanted to try out Midjourney to create some AI art, was even willing to create a Discord account until they asked my phone number, fuck that. Anyway, let us know if you can find some interesting stuff.

Edited by bjornk

Guess I'm in big trouble now, cause she doesn't sound like any real person or fictional character that I know of. 😅 Who is she?

She sounds like a real person despite the poor sound quality.

Edit: Ugh, never mind, it is a voice changer and that's cheating, I thought it was a text voiced by AI. 😅

Edited by bjornk

21 minutes ago, bjornk said:

Guess I'm in big trouble now, cause she doesn't sound like any real person or fictional character that I know of. 😅 Who is she?

She sounds like a real person despite the poor sound quality.

Edit: Ugh, never mind, it is a voice changer and that's cheating, I thought it was a text voiced by AI. 😅

It's supposed to be Harley Quinn, but sounds nothing like her. I don't think if I even tried to repeat any lines from her it would even help. Yes, this isn't text to speech AI. It's my voice recording and voiced altered to sound like Harley Quinn.

Edited by endgameaddiction

18 minutes ago, endgameaddiction said:

It's supposed to be Harley Quinn

Not a DC character I'm familiar with or have ever been interested in, not to mention I've never seen any shows/movies with her in it. I wouldn't be able to recognize her even if the sound recording was in perfect quality and sounded exactly like her. It's also a bit like saying someone "sounds like Batman", but which one, West, Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale...?

One of the reasons why I wanted to try Midjourney AI, was to try to create or re-imagine one of my game characters in a more photo realistic way, like a real person, using the /imagine command on Discord, as shown in the videos below. If you're okay with sharing your phone # to create a Discord account you might want to try it out too.

• Like 1

Imagine a character creation screen, in which, instead of fiddling with sliders to browse through the premade assets, you verbally describe what kind of a character you want, just like in the videos above, and the AI generates the character for you from scratch, once you are satisfied with how she/he looks. All the body meshes, textures and everything. Yum, so mouth-watering... Too bad I won't live that long to play with it, but we're getting there. 😅

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In the future, humans, at least what is left of them, will be more than willing to go into "The Matrix" by themselves and live their entire life inside a virtual dream world generated by AI, and will never want to go back to real world. There's no need for "evil machines", our delusional minds and stupidity is more than enough to achieve it. The "gamers" all around the world are one of the earliest examples that proves it.

• Agree 2