Share something obvious about Skyrim gameplay you didn't know.

I never knew you can back out of the conversation Balgruuf has with Avenicci after you first enter Dragon's Reach.  Pick the option 'A dragon destroyed Helgen and its headed this way.'  When he says "By Ysmir, Irileth was right!" you'll no longer be locked in dialogue and you can back away.  Irileth will send guards to Riverwood, fulfilling your promise to Alvor/Gerdur, solving the ludonarrative fuckery.  You're free to do whatever you want.

After you leave the cell Balgruuf will remain on his thrown and as long as you don't approach him he'll stay there.  The other NPCs will revert to their pre-main quest AI packages.  You can buy/sell with Farengar douche, collect the pitiful bounties from Avenicci, etc.

• Like 1
  • Yes! 1

Taking care of the Civil War first (on the Stormcloak side) opened up a mission I never had before and new dialogue with Ralof.  In previous playthroughs I did the main quest and the Civil War simultaneously and it was basically the same experience with different coats of paint.  THIS TIME I ignored the main quest and received a mission to attack a supply wagon in The Reach and Ralof had some passive-aggressive lines about how he's not getting the recognition he deserves because the Dragonborn is hogging all the glory.

• Like 1

I don't know if this counts or not, but for years I used the Nettlebane to acquire the sap from the Gildergreen (which causes all the npcs in the Eldergleam Sanctuary to die). I always told Maurice to shove it and go my way. I didn't realize I was choosing the bad ending until I read about the quest on UESPWiki... maybe after a decade of playing Skyrim. :XD:

• Agree 2

On 6/27/2024 at 8:14 PM, Doublezero said:

I don't know if this counts or not, but for years I used the Nettlebane to acquire the sap from the Gildergreen (which causes all the npcs in the Eldergleam Sanctuary to die). I always told Maurice to shove it and go my way. I didn't realize I was choosing the bad ending until I read about the quest on UESPWiki... maybe after a decade of playing Skyrim. :XD:

I've done that quest a few times and only recently took the sapling route.

• Haha 1

You can finish the first half of the Potema Awakening quest in, like, a minute. In "The Man Who Cried Wolf" you enter the cave where the Necromancers have summoned Potema. Walk out on the ledge, go into sneak mode and fire arrows up at the silhouette of the Ritual Master until she's dead. Potema's spirit escapes and you can sit and watch the fun as the Undead attack their former masters.

Alternately, fire a couple of Frenzy spells (or their stronger versions) up at the top of the tower and watch the Necromancers beat the shit out of each other. Great fun 

• Like 1

In the Mage's College quest "Hitting the Books" you have a really fun way of completing the quest.  If you rescue Orthorn (the dumbass who stole the books because he wanted to get in with the Cool Kidz gang of Necromancers), you can trade him for the books!
I only recently learned this option because I gave up rescuing Orthorn because he would always get killed halfway through the dungeon. Instead, I waited until I had cleared the place out but recruited him before entering The Caller's lair, figuring he'd act as a distraction. Instead, there's a line of dialogue where the Caller says she needs a new experimental subject since you killed all of hers. Betray Orthorn (i.e. laugh in the dickhead's face!) and be on your way, mission accomplished!