Let's Talk About It - The Punk Genres....

So as I continue to jot down ideas for my story I'm writing, I was curious about adding some steampunk into it. I enjoy the concept of it, but what really doesn't make any sense to me is, I don't see anything punk about it. I've always seen it as a fictional futuristic retro world of steam combustion technology mixed with the Victorian era. I can understand cyberpunk, but not steampunk.

I found an article on what I'm specifically trying to understand - the punk in steampunk.

https://allaboutsteampunk.com/what-is-punk-about-the-steampunk-culture/

And for the kicks, I found this article on numerous punk genres.

https://sorcereroftea.com/punkpunk-a-to-z-of-punk-genres/

I just don't understand why everything has to be associated with the word punk. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

I just don't understand why everything has to be associated with the word punk. 

People just tack on 'punk' to whatever because they lack the creativity to NOT tack on the word 'punk' as a descriptor.  i.e. Dinopunk.  What the fuck is that?  The word tells me nothing.

The only subgenre that appeals to me is retro 1940's 'dieselpunk' but NOT what Bethesda does with Fallout.zpvz3f1qqxi41.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&

KriegGren.jpg

I like the Hydra tech from Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), the Death Korps of Kreig from Warhammer 40K, etc.  Every other 'punk' genre is tired and played out.  Wild West steampunk is okay for what it is but the Victorian style is lame.  There are so-called steampunk 'experts' and they don't know who Masamune Shirow is; the guy who invented the subgenre.  That's how far-removed things have become.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 1:11 AM, bjornk said:

You should ask the retards who keep attaching the word "punk" to whatever they found. I guess creating stupid sub-genres makes them feel special somehow. In their small minds this is probably formula:

Cyberpunk =  (A dark dystopian world setting with a city decorated with neon lights) + (Something cyber e.g. cyborgish augmentation or VR/AR) + (Some rebellious punks that look like they're from the 70's)

What these idiots call as cp don't even have a common theme most of the time, as they lack one or more of the things in the formula. I personally don't give a shit about how they categorize books and movies in their stupid heads. To me the only meaningful categorization is "sci-fi". Whenever I hear about "something-punk" I quickly realize that it's some millennial shit and steer clear of it.

On 1/20/2021 at 6:43 PM, bjornk said:

Do you know what perfectly fits this formula? Fallout.

A dark dystopian world setting with a city decorated with neon lights -> New Reno or New Vegas
Something cyber e.g. cyborgish augmentation or VR/AR -> Besides Pipboy/VATS, which is AR, Fallout has all sorts of augmentations/implants.
Some rebellious punks that look like they're from the 70's -> Fallout, as a game inspired by Mad Max, has some literal punks in it (e.g. female punks).
Not to mention that it has Vault-Tec as an evil corporation.

And guess what, some retard came up with a new sub-genre for it right out of his ass and called it "dieselpunk"... how desperately pathetic.

On 1/20/2021 at 9:48 PM, bjornk said:

Here's a more complete list of that idiocy:

https://aesthetics.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Punk_Suffix

In addition to what I've already said above, I'd like to add that I can clearly see the connection between this idiotic trend and the woke shit, i.e. 21st century identity politics.

Edited by bjornk
  • Like 1

For the record 'dieselpunk' or '-punk' anything is lazy labeling.  The first time I saw the term I thought they were talking about big rig Mac or Peterbilt trucks, like the Transformers or something.  If they had called it '1940's retro scifi' at least I would have had a mental image of what it is.

1 hour ago, bjornk said:

I can clearly see the connection between this idiotic trend and the woke shit, i.e. 21st century identity politics.

Millennial and GenZ creators can't help it.  Generally speaking. they see through a modern lens and have to attach current year to whatever they're slapping together as 'entertainment'.  They are morally and creatively incapable of NOT inserting their bullshit worldview.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Millennial and GenZ creators can't help it.  Generally speaking. they see through a modern lens and have to attach current year to whatever they're slapping together as 'entertainment'.  They are morally and creatively incapable of NOT inserting their bullshit worldview.

One of the defining characteristics of Y is that they are completely detached from the past because they were completely bombarded with new things of increasingly shit quality (because of the consumerism of the 80s and 90s) while growing up and had no reason to look back and now they take all the superficial things from old stuff and insert their identity politics cause that's what they make them feel special and that's all they're capable of because their imagination is naturally limited to what they were exposed to while growing up and they have no memory of a world without television, computers and smartphones, etc. which is mostly true for the Z as well. They attach the word "punk" to whatever they come up with because that's trendy, that's a thing, not because they have a memory of the punk movement of the 70s and associate the thing with it. Most things they label as "punk" have nothing to do with it.

7 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

For the record 'dieselpunk' or '-punk' anything is lazy labeling.  The first time I saw the term I thought they were talking about big rig Mac or Peterbilt trucks, like the Transformers or something.  If they had called it '1940's retro scifi' at least I would have had a mental image of what it is.

It's mainly the Millennials and Gen Z who use the word "retro" in that way. Retro games, retro music etc. mainly referring to the 80s and the 90s. "Vintage" is another similar crap. What people use these kind of words for seems completely arbitrary to me. "Old games/music", "games/music from the 1980s" etc. are perfectly sufficient labeling, the usage of words like "retro", "vintage" is completely unnecessary, but again I guess people think that "it's cool and trendy".

Edited by bjornk

This is an answer I got when asking what punk has to do with any of these subgenres.

The name was derived from the term cyberpunk and was coined by author K. W. Jeter. Fringe societies or the concept of anarchy are often themes in these books, so yes, there can be a "punk" element to the genre.

7 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

The name was derived from the term cyberpunk and was coined by author K. W. Jeter. Fringe societies or the concept of anarchy are often themes in these books, so yes, there can be a "punk" element to the genre.

Fringe societies, anarchy = punk

What a retard.

7 hours ago, Jim_UK said:

Nothing can be as dumb as NASApunk, the term the fuckwits at Bethesda came up with for Starfield. 

Yeah I had forgotten about that one. One would find it really difficult to even use the words NASA and punk in the same sentence and yet these idiots used them in the same fucking word.🤣

Okay, here's one I've come up with: Modpunk! Guys, I think I've found the name for my modding website! Don't steal it! 😂

• Agree 1