Hobbies: What other Hobbies do you have?

endgameaddiction

For over a year now I've been saving to buy a Nissan Xterra 4x4 because I've been wanting to working on one as a project for off road. I've been really getting into overland as my escape route from gaming because, well, I don't seem to have much faith in the game industry anymore and as they say "nothing lasts for ever" and it's time to move on to greener pastures. A few days ago I just bought a 2001 Nissan Xterra XE 4wd that needs some small work to it to get it to pass smog. Exterior wise, it's 7/10. I was hoping to get a manual shift one, but settled with an automatic because the price was too good to pass up on. It's not a hobby just yet, but I definitely would like to do it on the weekends.

I have that, my 240sx and my F-150, which I have to get up and running. Might just sell that off and use that money towards the Xterra.

Two of the channels I've been following for over a year now that have really inspired me to get into this hobby are Trail Recon and Rogue Overland.

Edited by driftscape
  • Like 1

I have collected and painted miniature soldiers and wargamed with them for over 40 years.
As far as what got me into it, my Dad owned a small clothing store in downtown Pittsburgh (where I still live). There was a hobby shop at the other end of the block and I remember the first time I saw the window displays that that was what I wanted to do.
My personal collection is in the thousands and I've painted well over 20,000 for my customers.

Here's some of my latest work: WW2 German Afrika Korps in 25mm scale.

Spoiler

AT.jpg.5b9a64adad3d920cb26ae3589de62f02.jpg

Spoiler

Command.png.766b44bf47b70626ea35239db01f20fd.png

Spoiler

infantry.png.d3a2f975254bc18409078464e2f1f565.png

Spoiler

1396151783_CoreForce.thumb.png.24d91a77d1c23409f38c75e8969f4f04.png

Edited by vancleef
  • Like 2

Started my kitchen garden today.  All the seeds are heirloom; Cherokee Purple and Siberian tomatoes, Ozark Beauty strawberries, Amish cucumbers, hyssop. and peppermint.  No squash or melons because everybody grows those and I can trade for them.  Tomorrow I'll be doing ginger, garlic and spring onions.  On the hunt for some lemon grass next.

Also baked a loaf of rustic wholewheat bread.  I only do that like once a month.

• Like 2

Piddled in the garden today.  The ginger, hyssop, peppermint and Siberian tomatoes are no-shows, but the others all sprouted,  Can't find lemon grass anywhere so I'll have to order it.  I need neutralized fish bone for the tomatoes and cucumbers anyway, and I can't find that either.

• Like 1

Boy I have some work to do to this Xterra. It's leaking power steering fluid, but not near the reservoir nor down at the power steering rack and pinion. It's around the power steering pump, so I'm certain it's either the power steering pump is bad, or a hose isn't properly clamped that runs below the power steering pump.

And the second issue is a knock when I turn the steering wheel, which seems to be an indication that the axle joints are bad. After inspecting them, they look fine. What looks really bad are the upper and lower ball joints on both sides of the upper and lower control arms. they look stock, which would make sense given how old the SUV is.

Edited by driftscape
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Talked to some locals today and no one is growing heirloom crops.  Everyone is planting the same F1 and F2 hybrids they always do.  I swore I wasn't going to grow potatoes and now I am.  Same for melons and squash.  I couldn't find seed tatters but I know an old black dude who has the same potato crop in rotation since I moved here 15 years ago.  He gave me 20 starters in exchange for 10 Cherokee tomatoes when mine fruit up in a couple of months.

Watermelons...not a real fan since there's so much waste but I was able to find and heirloom variety of Sugar Baby bush that makes a 10 to 12 lb fruit.  That's enough melon for two or three helpings.

Squash...I refuse to grow yellow crook neck or fucking zucchini, plus those are crops that the people I talked to are growing.  I don't like butternut or acorn types either so I ordered some organic heirloom Rouge Vif D’Etampes pumpkin seeds.  They aren't jack o'lantern pumpkins, they're a super heavy French peasant food variety.

Herbs...went to the feed store and bought sets for rosemary, oregano, thyme, mint, and cilantro.  Also bought two Avery Island Tabasco pepper plants so I can save the seed and ferment my own mash.

This little 'I'm gonna grow a kitchen garden' project is turning into a WW2 Victory Garden.

• Like 1

Looked at lumber to build 6 planter boxes.  Those fools at the lumber yard have lost their fucking minds if they think I'm going to pay $.79 a board foot for #3 cedar planks.  My 'fuck you' work around is buying 6' 1x6 cedar fence pickets.  They're $2.79 a piece.  That limits my planter boxes to 3'x6' but that's okay; I know how to companion plant and trellis.  All this means the boxes will cost me about $17 each; saving me over $10.

Started a compost pile today but I'm going to have to fast track it.  Easy to do; 1 can of Coke, 1 can of beer and 1 cup of household ammonia mixed together and cut with 20 gallons of water.  Soak the pile with that shit and let it rest a week.  Turn it and toss in 1 pint of worms from the bait store.  Ready-to-use compost in 6 weeks.

• Like 1

Went to Harbor Freights Tool and picked up some 6 ton Jack stands and some 3 ton plastic ramps. I'll need a new jack lift because the current one I have is going bad. The hydrallic fluid is leaking. No bueno.... Not even my roommates jack lift is good. Useless roommate... :P

Edited by driftscape
  • Like 1

I had a leaky jack once a long time ago. Didn't matter, use the Jack Stands for the "major lifting". The jack was only to get things started. I was young and couldn't afford to get a new jack at that time. OFC nobody went under or even reached under (more than to put the jack stands) Also, it would hold well for about an hour losing about an inch every 15~30 minutes so wasn't loosing too badly or quickly.  Still had it for a long time (it was huge) and traded it to my brother in law for a newer smaller one that I works perfectly on a small car and such that own (not a truck anymore) he went and fixed it. (changed the seals and such) prehaps you could .. mine was a mechanic version and apparently not many like that are sold anymore. (oh and I got a break job on all 4 of my tires .. labor only, included :D ) My sister stated he was tickled to be able to get that antique!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

I had a leaky jack once a long time ago. Didn't matter, use the Jack Stands for the "major lifting". The jack was only to get things started. I was young and couldn't afford to get a new jack at that time. OFC nobody went under or even reached under (more than to put the jack stands) Also, it would hold well for about an hour losing about an inch every 15~30 minutes so wasn't loosing too badly or quickly.  Still had it for a long time (it was huge) and traded it to my brother in law for a newer smaller one that I works perfectly on a small car and such that own (not a truck anymore) he went and fixed it. (changed the seals and such) prehaps you could .. mine was a mechanic version and apparently not many like that are sold anymore. (oh and I got a break job on all 4 of my tires .. labor only, included :D ) My sister stated he was tickled to be able to get that antique!

It won't jack up all the way it should. After a certain amount it just refuses to go any higher.  I could put some 2x4s side by side and stacked up on top and nail them down to raise the jack lift. But I still plan to get a new one with the longer handles for easier jacking up.

Edited by driftscape
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, driftscape said:

It won't jack up all the way it should. After a certain amount it just refuses to go any higher.  I could put some 2x4s side by side and stacked up on top and nail them down to raise the jack lift. But I still plan to get a new one with the longer handles for easier jacking up.

The jack I used was because I was 17 (and more stupid than smart) AND it worked fairly well.  I would never have used something that required 2x4 and such to do so.  As for the longer handle.. perhaps you can get a length of pipe and use it just for jacking?

Not the best and not advised but.. could do in a pinch if needed. I know of some that have tack welded an extension to the pipe (depending on the model of the jack and type of metal of course.  My old jack had an extension that was built for that type of work.

https://www.floorjackshop.com/how-to-use-a-floor-jack-extender/

In any case, remember that a jack is designed to only lift and lower not hold. Too many use if to hold.. that is what jack stands are for. I am sure you know that but just in case I have to put that out there. I've seen people get hurt and property damaged, (mainly a friend of mine that just to live upstairs from me) they did about everything that wasn't suppose to be done. Amazing the crazy things a person does when they are young!

19 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

I wouldn't use a faulty jack because one day it will fail.

Exactly!  Try telling that to a 17 year old trying to save 400 dollars! :P  Now I have a nice appropriate low jack that can get under these newer cars easily. A proper "puck" (I believe that is what is called) that can be used to not damage some of the undersides of cars that have strange formed frames. (piece of steel for example that is thin and runs along the bottom right where the jack point is located. :( It even has a nice case and small enough to easily lift and carry if needed (yes, a bit of effort but not hard) Not like the old jack that weighted maybe 75 pounds with all the equipment

I wasn't able to use that jack for more than 12 years because it had too much of a height. I would have had to jack the car first then jack it with that jack..  

My brother in law has repaired it and even did some restoration in the process (its exterior was rusting a bit, the original paint was corroded / damaged)

Leave with a funny story. I have worked on cars pretty much not heavy like rebuild a trans or engine but replace parts. Anyway about a funny story. My friend mentioned above used a come along to try to remove a stuck transmission off a f150 (believe it was a 1990 model perhaps even mid 80's. don't know, had real glass headlights if that helps. )  Well he decided it was not smart (after being told it wasn't) to mount the come along to a solid wall. because of course it would pull the truck off the stands if not careful. Well he decided instead when he was told it was stupid idea ot use that tool.. to mount it to the back bumper of the truck.... well you can guess what happened to the bumper. The truck had over 200 thousand miles and was at least 10 years old and was beaten and abused for those years and rusted badly... if you guessed he badly bent the bumper.. you'd be correct?

That reminds me of bumpers.. another friend had a bumper that was pushed in. IN the old days 70s cars had bumper shocks. They would gon in and then come back out.. like a shock. however when the get old.. they get stuck. Instead of replacing them (don't know if that was a possibility though) with something that was new or refurbish, he decided to pull it back out.  He decided to use the electric pole to do so...  Well those poles are solid as fuck compared to a close to 20 year old rusted bumper from an olds.   yep.. he pulled the fucker right off the car. With little effort. Now, to be clear. He was told not to touch that bumper. By his brother, me, the original owner (which made it a point to cover the problems with the car since the buyer was just turning 18 .. .he sold it for 100 over junk pick up price. It ran and worked and had decent breaks. Worked for a year afterwards and still worked when he finally gave it up when some minor electrical issue came up with the lighting which prevented it from being safe to drive (breaks lights)  Everybody telling him he can't do anything except get a replacement. He pulled the fucker right off the car.

His replacement... he replaced a metal fuel line with a rubber one.. THAT RAN ACROSS THE ENGINE!  amount other things. I can create a thread on the antics that this dude did to his cars..

There is stupid.. .and there is crazy stupid things people do with their cars to repar them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

The jack I used was because I was 17 (and more stupid than smart) AND it worked fairly well.  I would never have used something that required 2x4 and such to do so.  As for the longer handle.. perhaps you can get a length of pipe and use it just for jacking?

No worries. I have my eyes set on this: https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/3-ton-heavy-duty-rapid-pump-floor-jack-56624.html or this: https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/3-ton-professional-rapid-pump-floor-jack-black-64779.html

This is the one I've had forever that's gone bad: http://www.torinjacksusa.com/blackjack/blackjack-categories/blackjack-floor-service-jacks/item/2t-trolley-jack-2.html I bought long ago and some auto part store.

Edited by driftscape
  • Like 1

Hey if you had a jack that worked forever.. then you got your monies worth out of it IMO.

I am so far out of date on what to do with tools (auto) .. lol. I was looking under the car I got and didn't understand how to use the jack with that stip of metal there .. I was used to actually seeing a FRAME...  (old GM A frames etc)

• Like 1

Got a surprise for my garden today.  One of my sister's friends dropped off two lemongrass plants.  She grows them as an ornamental plant in flower beds?  Whuddever; I have lemongrass now.  And my 'Cinderella carriage' pumpkin seeds came in the mail!

EDIT: I just realized how lame I sound.  Fuckit, I'm not gonna go hungry when the covid chaos starts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Got a surprise for my garden today.  One of my sister's friends dropped off two lemongrass plants.  She grows them as an ornamental plant in flower beds?  Whuddever; I have lemongrass now.  And my 'Cinderella carriage' pumpkin seeds came in the mail!

EDIT: I just realized how lame I sound.  Fuckit, I'm not gonna go hungry when the covid chaos starts.

Don't let anyone get you down on this. I WISH I could do what you are doing but currently where I am I can't.  Not in any meaningful way if it can be done at all. (not much light even for window or such planters )

I know others doing exactly what you are doing as well due to the current events. Among other things. (prepper)

• Like 2

Yesterday I built 6 raised bed 3'x6' boxes and had enough scrap to make one 3'x3'.  Got them lined with broken down cardboard boxes and filled today.  I moved an actual ton of topsoil and mushroom compost using nothing but a shovel and a wheelbarrow today.  My neighbor has a front-end loader but the ground is too wet so it had to be done by hand.  Planted everything that needed it, including my sister's special request for pinto beans.  She sprouted them herself and made a trip out to see me so I couldn't tell her no.  I guess my fancy Cinderella pumpkins are going in the ground since she hijacked one of my planter boxes. :o

I already figured out a way to plant the pumpkins; get medium sized cardboard boxes, fold in the tops and bottoms, space them in rows, fill them with dirt and compost and direct plant the seeds.  The boxes will stay together long enough for the plants to get well rooted and when they rot away the pumpkin will have formed it's own hill.  That's the theory anyway.  After the harvest just till everything under; plants, rotted boxes and all.

• Like 2

The only problem with the theory I can see is if  they wash away easily after the cardboard rots. (don't know your specifics related to rain and such) If it was in my area.. that wouldn't likely be a good idea due to the way the water runs around my home. (however, there isn't enough light do that is a moot point but still)

It is nice to see that another person sees the value in growing your own. (your sister  growing some of her own stuff)

1 hour ago, ritualclarity said:

It is nice to see that another person sees the value in growing your own. (your sister  growing some of her own stuff)

Uhm...no.  She germinated the seeds and then brought them to me to plant, water and tend for 120 days.  She's ain't growing shit; I AM.

5 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Uhm...no.  She germinated the seeds and then brought them to me to plant, water and tend for 120 days.  She's ain't growing shit; I AM.

Of course... :P 

I see, my bad.. I wasn't clear... She was growing some of her stuff (through you)  instead of buying it.  Even more the valuable, when she has to do next to nothing! (germinate.. and drive. ) lol

Finally started re-building my 28mm French & Indian War collection. Sold off my old collection a few years back since my painting skills have advanced so much further since I did the original figures. Needed an upgrade. 
Shit photos. Between the lighting and the software adjustment after cropping, they look garbage.
French Regulars:

Spoiler

FIF.jpg.dd337530e9ece00b8143ab5733e4ab91.jpg

Indians:

Spoiler

FII.thumb.jpg.649c76569293170a651d2416aabd827e.jpg

French Colonial Marines:

Spoiler

FIM.thumb.jpg.a9028787a73746d50fd568d817abac9f.jpg

Edited by vancleef
  • Like 3