Huge problem !

hi there...

i have a huge problem :( and i hope somebody among you smarter guys can help me :)

last week-end i decided i was done with my current Skyrim game and that i wanted to start a new one...  so as i always do in these situations i decided which mods i didn't want to use in my new game (i use MO so it's easy to remove mods) then i updated those i wanted to keep that had new versions...  and last i added a few new ones...  then i started a new game... well, no, i tried...  but simply i couldn't !!

i had a couple of CTDs just while creating my PC (i hadn't had a single CTD in the last 12 months !) if i decided not to customize my PC but keep the one the games creates, the game started but it was unplayable...  everything was...  like in slow motion... when i typed the name of the PC, the letters appeared 15-20 seconds after i typed them... when trying to move around (in the LAL cell) everything was veeeery slow and not smooth, kind of many small jumps... sometimes everything froze and then suddenly moved again "remembering" all the movements i had tried while it was frozen and so suddenly jumping to the new position...  further more, the light kept going  from very dim (almost dark) to very bright as if it was slowly flashing or pulsating...

so, i decided to remove all the new mods i had installed...  but the problem remained... :(

then i reinstalled the old versions of all the mods i had update...  yet nothing changed... :(:(

so, as a last try, i created a new profile in MO, removed all the mods except SKSE and LAL... but still have the same problem !!! :-_-::sick:

anybody has any idea of what the problem might be ??  if it isn't a mod problem, what might it depend on ??  please help !!

Thank you.

Papyrus.0.log

Edited by Karma199696
  • Like 1

One of the last things i do before launching a new game is too go to Steam and Verify Game Cache. Try that. More than likely that you have to clean those masters as well, run TesEdit and Loot afterwards, have re-launch Skyrim the old way to re-set your ini's and Options. I have my ini's on Read only.

Edited by Vortec

3 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

If you are using SKSE, try launching the game using the default one that came with the game.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim  and look for either Skyrim Launcher or Skyrim.  Try that.

hi Kendo2 thanks for answering :)

i already thought about trying from the launcher, but needed some time because of the never-ending starting sequence ;)

tonight i tried and it worked...  the problem was gone... so, i closed the game and tried again with just SKSE and LAL (to avoid the starting sequence) and, surprise, this time worked...  those strange effect were gone...  so, when i have time i'll try adding the mods little by little and see what happens...  i hope not to bother you guys any more, but anyway i'll keep you posted (in case you're interested) :)

• Like 1

ok...  now it's official...  Skyrim is trying to drive me crazy !!  and it's succeeding !!!

so... after the problem was mysteriously disappeared, i started adding the mods back little by little... i arrived to the situation where i had all the mods i had before trying to start the new game, and everything was fine...  so i tried adding half of the new mods i wanted to try... again, everything was fine... then i tried adding the few last new mods...  and the problem was back !! :angry02:   so i thought "haha ! gotcha ! one of these mods is the guilty one !!"

i removed them... but the problem was still there !! that was crazy, a nonsense !! again tried to play with just SKSE and LAL and again the problem persisted !! again tried playing launching the game from the launcher and again it worked !!  so i'm again in the situation i was sunday...  Skyrim works only with no mods at all and i don't understand why... all i can do is to hope that the problem will again disappear by itself and that i can add the mods back (not those few that i added last of course) in the next days...

unless of course someone of you can think of a possible cause of the problem and relative solution :(

• Like 1

If you can add mods and they work. And then keep on adding and fail, change the mods installed to diferent ones and work until you install more mods and fail, likely you have ran into a soft plugin limit. Your computer is choking on the scripts and such being used.

In theory you can add any of those mods that you added last before the game failed when your mod list is low and they will work, Just not with all the others. Any mods can be installed in any of your orders, and they work. ... until you add more. Soft plugin limit. Your computer needs more resources to process the mods you have. Not a conflit or game issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ritualclarity said:

If you can add mods and they work. And then keep on adding and fail, change the mods installed to diferent ones and work until you install more mods and fail, likely you have ran into a soft plugin limit. Your computer is choking on the scripts and such being used.

In theory you can add any of those mods that you added last before the game failed when your mod list is low and they will work, Just not with all the others. Any mods can be installed in any of your orders, and they work. ... until you add more. Soft plugin limit. Your computer needs more resources to process the mods you have. Not a conflit or game issue. 

i thought something similar too...  but why if i remove all the mods the problem remains ?? at the moment i have only LAL installed and still have that problem :(

Remove everything and start the game without any SKSE or anything and it should work. you might have a corrupted game or some requirement could be messed up.

perhaps since you have installed and removed mutiple times you might want to make sure you ahve copies of all your mods and nuke the entire installation, delete the folders and anything that remains and start over. 

Skyrim can be very unpredictable. Since you use Mod Organizer, and you don't already do this, I would strongly encourage you to backup your modlist, loadorder and profile files. Especially if you have it to the point of it being stable. That way, if you ever have to fall back to reinstalling everything all over again, you not only just glimpse through your modlist file to install those very same mods again, but you can overwrite the default ones provided by MO after creating a profile and it will sort your load order and mod list without you having to manually do it all over again.

Oh, I forgot to mention that if you ever go through the hassle of installing bad mods, the log auto updates those files which results in overwriting the previous setup you had so having backups is always a good idea.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

Remove everything and start the game without any SKSE or anything and it should work. you might have a corrupted game or some requirement could be messed up.

perhaps since you have installed and removed mutiple times you might want to make sure you ahve copies of all your mods and nuke the entire installation, delete the folders and anything that remains and start over. 

if i start the game from the launcher it works...  if i start it from MO with only LAL (to avoid the starting sequence) it doesn't...  tonight when i get back home i'll try starting it from MO without LAL, in case it works i'll try reinstalling LAL, maybe it got corrupted, but now i can't not enough time, have to go to work now :P

if i have to reinstall everything from scratch it'll take a lot of time so, if i can't find a different solution, i'll do it in next week-end. :(

Edited by Karma199696

1 hour ago, endgameaddiction said:

Skyrim can be very unpredictable. Since you use Mod Organizer, and you don't already do this, I would strongly encourage you to backup your modlist, loadorder and profile files. Especially if you have it to the point of it being stable. That way, if you ever have to fall back to reinstalling everything all over again, you not only just glimpse through your modlist file to install those very same mods again, but you can overwrite the default ones provided by MO after creating a profile and it will sort your load order and mod list without you having to manually do it all over again.

Oh, I forgot to mention that if you ever go through the hassle of installing bad mods, the log auto updates those files which results in overwriting the previous setup you had so having backups is always a good idea.

when i used NMM, every time i started a new game i backed up everything, because using NMM was a real pain (guess where?!)...  since i use MO, i only create a new profile and if something goes wrong i revert to the previous profile and everything works again...  not this time...  now the problem remains even if i remove all the mods :(

• Like 1

sorry Kendo2 but i don't understand how this tool could help me. i might have missed something because i'm not good at understanding spoken english...  yet, i'm starting a new game, i have no saved game to clean... 

when i start a new game i delete all previous saves, so...  nothing left to clean... :( i just need to have Skyrim start working again...

Edited by Karma199696

14 hours ago, Karma199696 said:

when i used NMM, every time i started a new game i backed up everything, because using NMM was a real pain (guess where?!)...  since i use MO, i only create a new profile and if something goes wrong i revert to the previous profile and everything works again...  not this time...  now the problem remains even if i remove all the mods :(

You were good to begin with and for some  reason something went wrong. Nothing was added or altered just selecting them in MO. I assume MO was even in the same order with your new game.

Four things I can think of happened,

• Mods or script extender, tools etc gotten corrupted,
  • Your game gotten corrupted itself (verify cache through Steam easy check /fix) or some update occurred for your windows (I assume Windows 10) which corrupted something that the game needs or a driver or something etc
  • Could be it change something one of the script extenders or other tools used. (That is very unlikely otherwise you would be hearing about this more in the web)
  • A change in one of the requirements of the mods you are using.

One question.. .no need to answer (please don't :)) is for some it has to be the actual valid game from Steam. Ripped or pirated games sometimes gives this trouble. I know someone in real life that had a sensless glitch (not like yours but something along the lines, couldn't be resolved) and once gotten the proper game, (he used MO) he was able to play just fine.  This isn't directly directed at you but sometimes with tech support this does come up when normal process of resolving issues don't help.

A very long shot is overclocking the processor, Hyperthreading (processor threads and other issues) but doubt that is the case with what you are talking about.

If or when you restore (Nuke and reload) Copy all the game, files and manager etc just in case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Karma199696 said:

thanks, i'll need it ;) i'll start working on it tomorrow evening.

and don't worry, my game copy is original and valid :)

I wasn't worried. I am confident that was the case however if others have strange problems that makes no sense and they are using a pirited version they need to understand that these versions have been altered and there is no telling what the changes were and the effect it has on the mods that they choose to use. Hopefully it is just something stuck somewhere in your files etc and can be fixed quickly.

You are using MO i believe you stated. Which means your game folder should be spotless. here is something I do from time to time. I clean out all folders and loose files. Thsi means the SKSE and any other files found in the main folder as well as loose files in the DAta folder. 

Data.JPG.4a0e119377ff57a4fd355c6d426bef3a.JPGMain.thumb.JPG.82c53d59606e42bc363ae0faf2d1e8cf.JPG

I remove all these highlighted. The main folder just the loose files for the Data folder all files not from the game as well as folders. Verify cache and then I have a pretty clean system. You can if you wish remove all the files from the main folder except for your MO folder, and Data then clean out the data folder to look like what I shown. Verify cache then you should be clear of all issues (supporting programs from the game will be refreshed in case they are bad) Not a full nuke and burn but a reasonable quick check and return to a clean system. (provided you have reasonable internet access/speed)

Basically clean out all but the game esp/esm/bsa files in the Data folder and most if not all of the other files in the main folder. If in doubt toss it out. :)  Then verify cache used to restore the missing content (reason it isn't the best is sometimes there are files still there that are causing your mod problems. Verify cache only fixes the main game files not the script extenders and other tools or any random lost, or corrupted mod files. 

even with Mo as you can see I have an old folder for occasional screwing around in the game, I go in and clean out the files and restore the tools from time to time for a nice crisp game. I can't tell you the last time I had an game related issue that I couldn't trace directly back to a specific mod and it's conflicts.

• Like 1

Spoiler
12 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

I wasn't worried. I am confident that was the case however if others have strange problems that makes no sense and they are using a pirited version they need to understand that these versions have been altered and there is no telling what the changes were and the effect it has on the mods that they choose to use. Hopefully it is just something stuck somewhere in your files etc and can be fixed quickly.

You are using MO i believe you stated. Which means your game folder should be spotless. here is something I do from time to time. I clean out all folders and loose files. Thsi means the SKSE and any other files found in the main folder as well as loose files in the DAta folder. 

Data.JPG.4a0e119377ff57a4fd355c6d426bef3a.JPGMain.thumb.JPG.82c53d59606e42bc363ae0faf2d1e8cf.JPG

I remove all these highlighted. The main folder just the loose files for the Data folder all files not from the game as well as folders. Verify cache and then I have a pretty clean system. You can if you wish remove all the files from the main folder except for your MO folder, and Data then clean out the data folder to look like what I shown. Verify cache then you should be clear of all issues (supporting programs from the game will be refreshed in case they are bad) Not a full nuke and burn but a reasonable quick check and return to a clean system. (provided you have reasonable internet access/speed)

Basically clean out all but the game esp/esm/bsa files in the Data folder and most if not all of the other files in the main folder. If in doubt toss it out. :)  Then verify cache used to restore the missing content (reason it isn't the best is sometimes there are files still there that are causing your mod problems. Verify cache only fixes the main game files not the script extenders and other tools or any random lost, or corrupted mod files. 

even with Mo as you can see I have an old folder for occasional screwing around in the game, I go in and clean out the files and restore the tools from time to time for a nice crisp game. I can't tell you the last time I had an game related issue that I couldn't trace directly back to a specific mod and it's conflicts.

thanks for trying to help RC, but as i told many times i'm not that smart in this kind of things... :(  i have no idea of what you mean when you talk about verifying cache and i don't understand how SKSE might work if i delete it from the Skyrim folder...  do you mean i need to reinstall it ?  at the moment i admit i feel a bit demotivated...  the idea of spending my week-end trying to fix Skyrim doesn't make me particularly happy...  if i can't find i relatively quick solution i might even stop trying... :-_-:

i have no idea of what you mean when you talk about verifying cache

1. Restart your computer and launch Steam.
  2. From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
  3. Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game files... button.
  4. Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.

don't understand how SKSE might work if i delete it from the Skyrim folder...  do you mean i need to reinstall it ? 

Yes after you clean out your folders. You will have to reinstall all your tools.

Having difficulty with some of the info I gave, I'd suggest a pure Nuke and restart/ reinstall. From scratch. Make sure you delete everything in your Skyrim folder left over after uninstalling the game to be sure it is 100% clean before a reinstallation.

13 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

Just for you Karma :D

hqdefault.jpg.a153b5ac0c0276ac17e1e426be36c9ef.jpg

LOL

LOL !  anyway i had done that, but since in my steam it didn't mention any cache i wasn't sure it was the same thing you were suggesting...  found 11 files that need to be reacquired, but it seems to have problem downloading them...  i get queued for less then a second, then the process gets scheduled for 5 minutes later, when it tries to get queued again but in less of a second it disconnects and reschedule the download for 5 minutes later...  it has been doing so for the last 6 hours and it hasn't downloaded a single byte till now :( i'll leave the PC switched on for the night, hoping i'll find it done tomorrow morning :)

thanks everybody for helping and for your patience... i'll let you know how it ends ;)

------------------------------ update --------------------------

after 15 hours still haven't downloaded a single bit and it's always scheduled to start in 5 min. :(  if it keeps doing so, it seems i'll never be able to play Skyrim again...

------------------------------ update 2 --------------------------

changed download region from Italy to Washington (DC) and now it's downloading :) seem that as usual, nothing works in Italy :P

------------------------------ update 3 --------------------------

it seems i've been too optimistic :( downloaded the first 72.6 Mb (out of 4.4 Gb) then started to do the same as the italian one :(

------------------------------ update 4 --------------------------

i thought thing couldn't get worse...  i was wrong !!  after waiting almost 24 hours and not being able of downloading the needed files, i decided that reinstalling everything would be faster (or at least more active) so i uninstalled Skyrim (that was fast and easy) and then tried to reinstall it... but simply i couldn't !!  any time i tried i got the same message : "No Steam content servers are currently configured to deliver content for this game" changing download area didn't help...  so now i couldn't even play vanilla Skyrim (not that i would)...  Skyrim's completely gone from my PC and i can't have it back, not even installing it from the original Disk :(

Edited by Karma199696
  • Like 1

I think you are having problems with your internet. It isn't keeping proper connection/bandwidth. It is flaking out in my opinion. My work sometimes has that happen and they (the tech support office) has to address this.

Have you tried rebooting the router? (Unplugging it and then plugging it back in)  Not to be confused with a reset.

4 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

I think you are having problems with your internet. It isn't keeping proper connection/bandwidth. It is flaking out in my opinion. My work sometimes has that happen and they (the tech support office) has to address this.

Have you tried rebooting the router? (Unplugging it and then plugging it back in)  Not to be confused with a reset.

my internet connection isn't fantastic...  depending on the moments it ranges between 2 and 7 Mbps.  at the moment i'm going at 6.7 Mbps, so one of the best speeds ever...  when i first installed Skyrim (3 years ago) i had a line going between 1 and 2 Mbps...  it took ages, but it got installed...  these days it didn't even try !  after selecting where to install it, as soon as i clicked the button "next" i got that message.  that was so friday, saturday, and this morning...  now i tried again and, suddenly, it started downloading...  but up to now downloaded 90 Mb out of 11 Gb (in 3 minutes)...  so i won't say it finally worked until it's finished ! ;) (it says i'll take 10 hours)

4 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

anyway yes, i had tried rebooting the router, i had even reinstalled Steam (following a guide i had found in their support topics) and that had worked fast and smooth...  that's why i couldn't understand why i couldn't install Skyrim. ;)