Windows Recall

Doublezero

Too late Microsoft, I'm done. I'm telling you, the executives at these companies are brain dead.

Microsoft dumps Windows 11 Recall feature from Copilot+ PCs at launch – an embarrassing turn of events, but ultimately for the best

https://www.techradar.com/computing/windows/microsoft-dumps-windows-11-recall-feature-from-copilot-pcs-at-launch-an-embarrassing-turn-of-events-but-ultimately-for-the-best

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2024 at 1:13 PM, Doublezero said:

I'm installing Linux on my next PC and if I like it, I'll be done with Windows.

How is it working for you?

you can also pass through a VM of windows for those things that you must have that is in Windoze. Even games if you want to put a second graphics card in. There is a program I believe is called "Looking Glass" that takes the frames of the second graphics card and puts it in Linux so you don't need a second cable and monitor. It is getting faster and faster.

2 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

How is it working for you?

you can also pass through a VM of windows for those things that you must have that is in Windoze. Even games if you want to put a second graphics card in. There is a program I believe is called "Looking Glass" that takes the frames of the second graphics card and puts it in Linux so you don't need a second cable and monitor. It is getting faster and faster.

I haven't built another computer yet, but I have a laptop that lost its hard drive when I pulled out the cord to the power supply. I have a bunch of old hard drives lying around and an external hard drive docking station. I'm thinking of using that to install Linux for my laptop.

That is perfect for working and learning a new OS.

I might suggest Linux Mint as it is very noob friendly.  I like this over Unbuntu because Unbuntu does some strange things and have had tracking discovered in the system but also it uses Snap. Snap can be quite slow to open a program. Not as good an experience for someone new to Linux. Mint you can use the distro prograrms or install flatpack. (I prefer flatpack for most of what I use)

Also basic Linux Mint is pretty close experience to Windoze. Good to get your feet wet and start getting used to Linux. I strongly advise to start using the CMD whenever possible.

linux Mint also comes with Time Shift which is a clone of Apples back up software. Pretty fully featured. I am using a 512 SSD in my laptop for the backup. You can set hourly, daily, weekly, monthly and boot. With this and a live CD (whichh you used to install it ) you should be able to recover any screw up or problems you come across.

Another option which I like to strongly advice is to use a VM on your main machine. YOu can really screw around witwh Linus with little worries. (a VM with snapshot options) just restore a previous snapshop.

Note: I haven't had to recover from my Timeshift back up yet. Can't personally give any feedback on this.

Oh, and pretty much anything you can find in Debian/unbuntu and flavors you can install on Mint.

I have a question: What is Windows 'updating' exactly?

Spoiler

I have an isolated work PC I bought two years ago.  It has been connected to the internet one time; to get it registered and running and to install AutoCad.  I'm the only one who uses it so I know for a fact the computer is clean.  There is nothing to 'update' and even if there was it's not connected to the internet.  Going into the command prompts and startup to disable updates works for about a day and then the update notifications start again.  At first I did the updates but after the 'you must use Windows 11' bullshit started the 'update' stalls at 30% and freezes up the computer for about an hour before it lets me get back to work.

So what is Microsoft doing?

45 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

I have a question: What is Windows 'updating' exactly?

Reveal hidden contents

I have an isolated work PC I bought two years ago.  It has been connected to the internet one time; to get it registered and running and to install AutoCad.  I'm the only one who uses it so I know for a fact the computer is clean.  There is nothing to 'update' and even if there was it's not connected to the internet.  Going into the command prompts and startup to disable updates works for about a day and then the update notifications start again.  At first I did the updates but after the 'you must use Windows 11' bullshit started the 'update' stalls at 30% and freezes up the computer for about an hour before it lets me get back to work.

So what is Microsoft doing?

Microsoft is introducing a new feature in Windows 11 that takes snapshots of everything you do on your PC and is not secure. I don't remember all the details from the videos, but Microsoft took quite a bit of backlash after they made the announcement.