Windows Recall

Doublezero

Too late Microsoft, I'm done. I'm telling you, the executives at these companies are brain dead.

Microsoft dumps Windows 11 Recall feature from Copilot+ PCs at launch – an embarrassing turn of events, but ultimately for the best

https://www.techradar.com/computing/windows/microsoft-dumps-windows-11-recall-feature-from-copilot-pcs-at-launch-an-embarrassing-turn-of-events-but-ultimately-for-the-best

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2024 at 1:13 PM, Doublezero said:

I'm installing Linux on my next PC and if I like it, I'll be done with Windows.

How is it working for you?

you can also pass through a VM of windows for those things that you must have that is in Windoze. Even games if you want to put a second graphics card in. There is a program I believe is called "Looking Glass" that takes the frames of the second graphics card and puts it in Linux so you don't need a second cable and monitor. It is getting faster and faster.

2 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

How is it working for you?

you can also pass through a VM of windows for those things that you must have that is in Windoze. Even games if you want to put a second graphics card in. There is a program I believe is called "Looking Glass" that takes the frames of the second graphics card and puts it in Linux so you don't need a second cable and monitor. It is getting faster and faster.

I haven't built another computer yet, but I have a laptop that lost its hard drive when I pulled out the cord to the power supply. I have a bunch of old hard drives lying around and an external hard drive docking station. I'm thinking of using that to install Linux for my laptop.

That is perfect for working and learning a new OS.

I might suggest Linux Mint as it is very noob friendly.  I like this over Unbuntu because Unbuntu does some strange things and have had tracking discovered in the system but also it uses Snap. Snap can be quite slow to open a program. Not as good an experience for someone new to Linux. Mint you can use the distro prograrms or install flatpack. (I prefer flatpack for most of what I use)

Also basic Linux Mint is pretty close experience to Windoze. Good to get your feet wet and start getting used to Linux. I strongly advise to start using the CMD whenever possible.

linux Mint also comes with Time Shift which is a clone of Apples back up software. Pretty fully featured. I am using a 512 SSD in my laptop for the backup. You can set hourly, daily, weekly, monthly and boot. With this and a live CD (whichh you used to install it ) you should be able to recover any screw up or problems you come across.

Another option which I like to strongly advice is to use a VM on your main machine. YOu can really screw around witwh Linus with little worries. (a VM with snapshot options) just restore a previous snapshop.

Note: I haven't had to recover from my Timeshift back up yet. Can't personally give any feedback on this.

Oh, and pretty much anything you can find in Debian/unbuntu and flavors you can install on Mint.

I have a question: What is Windows 'updating' exactly?

Spoiler

I have an isolated work PC I bought two years ago.  It has been connected to the internet one time; to get it registered and running and to install AutoCad.  I'm the only one who uses it so I know for a fact the computer is clean.  There is nothing to 'update' and even if there was it's not connected to the internet.  Going into the command prompts and startup to disable updates works for about a day and then the update notifications start again.  At first I did the updates but after the 'you must use Windows 11' bullshit started the 'update' stalls at 30% and freezes up the computer for about an hour before it lets me get back to work.

So what is Microsoft doing?

45 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

I have a question: What is Windows 'updating' exactly?

Reveal hidden contents

I have an isolated work PC I bought two years ago.  It has been connected to the internet one time; to get it registered and running and to install AutoCad.  I'm the only one who uses it so I know for a fact the computer is clean.  There is nothing to 'update' and even if there was it's not connected to the internet.  Going into the command prompts and startup to disable updates works for about a day and then the update notifications start again.  At first I did the updates but after the 'you must use Windows 11' bullshit started the 'update' stalls at 30% and freezes up the computer for about an hour before it lets me get back to work.

So what is Microsoft doing?

Microsoft is introducing a new feature in Windows 11 that takes snapshots of everything you do on your PC and is not secure. I don't remember all the details from the videos, but Microsoft took quite a bit of backlash after they made the announcement.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2024 at 9:13 PM, Doublezero said:

I'm installing Linux on my next PC and if I like it, I'll be done with Windows.

Just like the case with Mozilla, Linux also has been going downhill for quite a while now.

2 hours ago, bjornk said:

Just like the case with Mozilla, Linux also has been going downhill for quite a while now.

It depends on the distro and how much you know about Linux and willing to do the "work". 

you can even pickk and choose and make your own distro with all the stuff you want.

Regardless of Linux going down hill (which some have done and some choices are not the best.. looking at you Snap Packs) it is still much more secure and open than Windows even with one of the lesser distros. (Looking at you Unbuntu )

Some of the choices are actually promising llike the imutable OS. You can't have your OS go bad. You have sandboxed apps (in reality the only choice which does have some limitations)  Not perfect by far. have to jump through hoops to get anything that requires low level access to run (apps etc. pass through etc.) but do able if you can learn and get it to work. The upside is besides not being able to do any changes (from a bad actor) to the OS, each update you have at least one backup. You can go in and save mutiple backus (at a increased use of disk space but with large disk now being cheaper and cheaper this isn't much of a limitation for a desktop and only slightly more limiting for a notebook)

Lots of videos and guides on the web to help you, however, most of them are geared to the main distros (like Unbuntu) but if you learn the core distros Arch, Debian, Red Hat then you can just change the key commands words to the distro of your choice and get most things to work. Most in being that not all distros have the same featues. The freedom to do whatyou want combined with opensource and not too many cooporations means a lot of mess there.

You want plug and play and not windows you have to do Apple. (which also has gone down hill in some aspects but I aplaude their use of the new M1 chip over intel)

There are several game mod developers that I know that use Linux as their main driver and even play most of their games and just pass through the devices to a Windows VM to get their windows only games (games they can't get to work or needs serious works around or not stable yet) to work.

Bottom line, despite some miss steps from Linux community and such, you can do so much more with it now than you could do 30, 20 or even 10 years ago. Hell even 5 years ago the IOMMU wasn't as solid and functional as it is now. There is even a work in progress to pass the video output from the graphics card (dedicated) to the system to show on your linux desktop with only very small microsecond delays. Very impressive.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bjornk said:

Looks like Recall will be recalled in October. 🤣

"Microsoft will try the data-scraping Windows Recall feature again in October"

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/08/microsoft-will-try-the-data-scraping-windows-recall-feature-again-in-october/

Keep that shit up Microsoft.  Other than a gaming computer which has shit all on it and my work computer (that work provides) I don't use Microsnooze. I moved to linux and getting more proficient to the point that I might do the Linux from scratch where I don't even use the distro setup.  Or at a minimum use the source OS that everybody butches to create their distro

I haven't been using windoze for months for my daily driving and general work.

There are alternitives that people have and will start to move to with this bullshit you keep on trying to do.  Now we can't even create a local account? Seriously? NOt without jumping through a ton of hoops that you keep on removing options and ability to do so.

Oh and even Windoze gaming on Linux is getting better and better with ever better tools.

Heh, that is so true. M$ really is adversarial in their approach. I was originally planning on my new machine to be dual boot, but with all the mess lately I'm seriously considering ditching windows totally. It's just getting harder and harder to jump through the hoops they put in front of you for doing what you want on your computer.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Nessa said:

M$ really is adversarial in their approach.

Nothing specific to M$, that is capitalism, in this so-called "free market" every actor inherently desires to become a monopoly to maximize their profits. And what do they do when they have? Simple, they start looking for ways to milk customers, when that's not enough they start sucking their blood. Apple, Google, Steam, Epic, Adobe, you name it, they are all the same shit.

At this point, if anyone has been trying to cripple Windows in order to continue using it, they should already realize that it's a losing battle. Linux is also cancer, but the alternative is death.

11 hours ago, Nessa said:

I was originally planning on my new machine to be dual boot

Microsoft confirms August updates break Linux boot in dual-boot systems

Windows update breaks Linux dual boot - but there is a fix for some users

🤣

Edited by bjornk
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, bjornk said:

Heh, looks like "dual boot" is going to have to mean: physically swapping out the Windows C drive with the Linux boot drive. 😏 🤣😂

Some years ago when the Macs were still intel, you could actually have a nice snazzy looking interface to switch  between all 3 OS's at startup. Funny how "progress" looks more and more like regression.

Edited by Nessa

Now a days you don't duell boot. You virutalize windows and then pass through some hardware if you desire and need it to the Windoze vm and use it. People game on virutalized windows in linux passing through the graphics card etc. There is a small hit on the performance but most people have well more powerful computers than they need to game with in any case. You still need to have a dedicated graphics card unless you  use one of those professional cards that cost wel more than an insanely configured gaming or even workstation. (Both AMD and Nvidia block that option to use VM for graphics for retail skus ;) yes, they are that much o f a shit)

For people that just want to use windoze for some productivity office work etc. A simple basic VM is good enough an a newer machine.  Only the older and weaker machines are hindered but it still works just a bit slower and more limiited.

There is even project looking glass for linux that is taking the graphics card output so that you don't h ave to kvm or swap inputs on your monitor (or have a dedicated monitor for windows vm) that is developing slowly but developing in any case.

I exclusively use Linux for everything but my windows gaming. I don't know enough to be able to do the passthrough and some other setups otherwise I'd have it on my gaming computer and VM Winndowz and call it a day. The only outer place I use Windoze is at work and that is required for their antiquated setup and security "concerns".  Laughs to self.  The crazy thing is almost every back end tool they use is Linux capable. Their cridtical systems (servers) are linux and they use Windows for the end users. lol.

Before someone decides to start bitching about Linux... there are a lot of issues regarding Linux and it is a pain for someone that wants to point their cursor on something and have it just work.

As for running all 3 OS's. You can build an hackintosh and do that. I haven't but know people that have and so far they are still able to use the most current OS so Apple hasn't blocked that yet. I currently have an old intel mac pro that I got refurbed for less than 200 dollars that works fine and I was going to play around with Linux on it as well as multiboot and such. I might just do exactly what @Nessa mentionied!  I'd not be able to store much on it as it has 250gigs SSD but that is enough for setup of all three OSs. (not enough ram for vm for this machinie at least not for Windoze bloat ware. I can get a VM linux working well on that .. or should be able to as I had a similar setup on an old i5 third gen intel laptop)

People who are willing to and want to put in a bit of effort should move to Linux for the majority of their computing needs. Hell even Windows gaming is much improved over what it was just 10 years ago. With Microsoft continuing their "Recall" bullshit and requiring an Microsoft account for registering windoze (and blocking each way that comes up to bypass this) amoung other bullshit they are doing... this is only going to push people off Microsoft Windoze and elsewhere. At least those that have the ability and desire to dig in and do a bit of reading and learning.

I did VM linux for a bout a year or more off and on, then moved to an very old laptop mentioned above. Since replaced that laptop with another cheaper (and more powerful but not much more lol) laptop and exclusively use Linux. When I am not on a linux laptop Iam using Chrome (linux with some google features) Yes they track you. I use Chrome for my Google accounts which I had for decades (since it started or close to it) and am moving away from it.  When I am able to setup a linux server with some nice storage space, I will move even more from it. Email, dropbox, mega etc replacement the works. Serve my movies (ripped from my DVDs) as well as music (ripped from my CDs ) all working with out any big brother bullshit of Google, apple ir especially Microsoft.

TL:DR

Move from Windows/Apple etc. to Linux. If you are smart.

Many sources on the web to learn from.

Treat Windowze like the bitch it is. ;)

P.S. I use Debian based Linux.  Arch is too bleeding edge IMO for a noob. I don't like chasing bugs and issues. Fedora is derived from a company that is a Microsoft equivilant in the Linux world. Linux Mint  is the ones I'd suggest for someone new.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Nessa said:

Hard to pick a favorite one there. Is it the Shaman? The anti-white pledge? Or declaring anybody not woke never use your software? 🤣

And we haven't heard everything... Hopefully Linux Sucks 2025 will be more entertaining. 🤣

• Agree 1