Nvidia, AMD & Intel GPUs - Discussion, News, etc.

endgameaddiction

Anyone going to get their new GPU with Turing micro architecture design once it hits the market, or wait a while? Seeing as AMD isn't caught up with Nvidia, I already see these GPUs selling at a high price because of supply and demand by gamers, miners and developers.

What do you think?

Update: Changed the title of this thread to make it more of a general discussion over Nvidia and Radeon GPUs.

Edited by endgameaddiction

If I win the lottery I might think about buying one. 😛

Edit:

Apparently the new "RTX" series of cards are able to do "real-time" ray tracing! Funnily enough, my graduate thesis was about parallel ray tracing using Pov-Ray with PVM and MPI interfaces, which was almost 20 years ago. The university even let me built a PC cluster which were all Pentium IV's and now a single graphics card has more computational power than my entire cluster! If you had a single Titan V back when I did this you'd probably be on the top of the Top 500 list.😅

Edited by bjornk

From what I heard, the 2080 ti is supposed to be the new Nvidia Titan which is now customizable whereas the previous ones weren't. So I guess you can expect to see EVGA, MSI, Zotac and the others to release them more than likely with trio custom cooler fans and heat sinks and possibly different pcb boards. That's what I heard from a JayzTwoCents anyways.

But the rage is that with real time ray tracing is giving you 30FPS at 1080p and a lot of people are not content with that. So you are getting what you couldn't before in gaming but at the cost of performance. But then again that will more than likely change as new drivers are released.

However, I certainly wouldn't buy it. Not now. I'm still gaming at 1080p but I just recently bought a 970 and it feels good to be able to slap on 2-4k landscape textures and play with a nice ENB on and still maintain 59.9fps to mid 40s. It's a breath of fresh air. Now I can mount my GTX 260 on my wall for the 9+ years of never giving up on me. :D

• Like 1

I watched the same video just a few hours ago. :D Yeah, if you want a new graphics card just for RT, then I think it'd be really stupid to buy a first generation card. I'd honestly leave that to rich kids who probably already have pre-ordered their cards. :D If I had the money and needed a new card, I'd just get myself a GTX 1080, not even a TI.

Edited by bjornk

1 hour ago, endgameaddiction said:

From what I heard, the 2080 ti is supposed to be the new Nvidia Titan which is now customizable whereas the previous ones weren't. So I guess you can expect to see EVGA, MSI, Zotac and the others to release them more than likely with trio custom cooler fans and heat sinks and possibly different pcb boards. That's what I heard from a JayzTwoCents anyways.

But the rage is that with real time ray tracing is giving you 30FPS at 1080p and a lot of people are not content with that. So you are getting what you couldn't before in gaming but at the cost of performance. But then again that will more than likely change as new drivers are released.

However, I certainly wouldn't buy it. Not now. I'm still gaming at 1080p but I just recently bought a 970 and it feels good to be able to slap on 2-4k landscape textures and play with a nice ENB on and still maintain 59.9fps to mid 40s. It's a breath of fresh air. Now I can mount my GTX 260 on my wall for the 9+ years of never giving up on me. :D

If I remember correctly... the new 2080 is the 1080's replacement. The "Titan" will gets its own version (much more powerful etc)  I also believe the numbers will shift again like they have in the past for new chip ... that is a 2060 would be what was a 1070, a 2070 a 1080 etc etc. (roughly. of course) could be wrong but so far that has been prettymuch what they do all the time.

One way to win shares is to turn on their virtualization options for the Vega's. There are more and more people running games in virtualization and having a powerful card that can be "split" between two OSs is a must. Keep the other "PRO" features for the pro cards of course. From my understanding ATI is already easier to vitualize than nVidia.

14 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

1080 ti cards are significantly dropping on ebay. It's looking very promising.

DONT...
I repeat DON'T BUY

I can't say this enough. These are dropping mostly due to the cryptocurency miners dropping their old worn out cards for the prospect (or intent) of getting newer more powerful cards.

However, true that the cards are dropping across the board for new units. (and refurb) but not much below MSRP.

Buyer beware is the best advice I can give.

Well I won't be able to afford one for a few months anyways.

And I overheard that the reason why 20xx RTX cards are very expensive is because NVIDIA made MSI, GIGABYTE, ZOTAC, and the others buy up their 10 series to sell them off. Giving that the RTX are overpriced, many people are going to buy the over stock 10 series cards since they are dropping in price. I heard they are supposed to sell out all their 10 series to vendors before they can begin to sell the 20xx cards. And then the 20xx cards will drop in price when they do get to sell them.

If that's true, sucks for all those who preordered.

14 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

Well I won't be able to afford one for a few months anyways.

And I overheard that the reason why 20xx RTX cards are very expensive is because NVIDIA made MSI, GIGABYTE, ZOTAC, and the others buy up their 10 series to sell them off. Giving that the RTX are overpriced, many people are going to buy the over stock 10 series cards since they are dropping in price. I heard they are supposed to sell out all their 10 series to vendors before they can begin to sell the 20xx cards. And then the 20xx cards will drop in price when they do get to sell them.

If that's true, sucks for all those who preordered.

Yes, that is basically the normal actions for nVidia graphics cards. The reason each generation is more expensive than the last. Reason each generation ends up being more than the last generation. (perm price after glut of previous gen is gone)

Even now it is hard to find a card that is close to MSRP.  Even with a glut of hardware. (list price not rebates and such)  There is money (back end money) being given out but the stores and such have paid such a high price (due to cryptocurrency) they want their money back from that as well (when the prices adjusted back to sane levels. again)

Then, technology isn't advancing as fast as it was (real world) in that a high 6th, 7th, or 10th, gen can easily power a 1080 p monitor (the most common monitor for people even now) and you really only need a 1080+ if you are trying to run a 2k or more at full resolution (not lowering features or to 1080 p etc )  Really only those that need or want to run at high level with a 2k or more realistically 4k that need these newer cards. .. that and crypto currency makers.

I got my 1080Ti (aftermarket cooler etc) when there was a rare blip in pricing which brought it below MSRP. I intend on rocking it as long or longer than I did my 670. Which I upgraded to a 970 to get a much needed 1gb more Vram... That card rocked everything I sent to it with heavy mods (as heavy as I would want to go) just fine with a 1080p monitor. I upgraded to a 2 k and wanted to have some power for it. (It was a demo and on substantial sale. Can't touch it even now on Ebay used for that price. ;) :D )

Anyone that is reading this... please, please, please don't get anything bigger than a 1060 6gb graphics card for 1080p monitor. Trust me. It is a waste. it is very likely based on the previous gen growth you will be able to get a 2050ish  6+ vram graphics card and do just fine with your 1080p monitor. (with mods) and only if there is a new Direct x that is needed for some new "must have" video game.

15 minutes ago, bjornk said:

Nah, they're obviously filthy rich, they wouldn't care.

Yep.. crypto curency creators would buy all the graphics cards at my local store regardless of price when crypto curency was hot. They didn't care if the top of the line was 2000 dollars. (MSRP 700 dollars or something around there.) Didn't give a damn. They would buy dozens if they could. (per person 🤯

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

NVIDIA Confirms Issues Cropping Up With Turing-based Cards, "It's Not a Broad Issue"

Problems have been cropping up with both NVIDIA-made and AIB cards from various manufacturers, which seemingly rejects the possibility for manufacturer-based issues, and leaves on the table either an architectural or manufacturing batch issue (no confirmations yet).

https://www.techpowerup.com/249077/nvidia-confirms-issues-cropping-up-with-turing-based-cards-its-not-a-broad-issue

• 2 years later...

There is a reason why I bought spare TVs and computer parts including GFX cards right when the pandemic started, I knew that prices would go through the roof for tech. I did some searching for 3070 and it was 1.5K USD for a single card. I've seen Xbox Series X consoles going for about 2K. It maybe availability, but it could also signal something powerful is coming in terms of economic downturn. 

• Like 2

• endgameaddiction changed the title to Nvidia, AMD & Intel GPUs - Discussion, News, etc.