THE CRINGE-WORTHY INTERNET THREAD

Kendo 2

and this is the problem with the whole DEI initiative: it's going to eat itself. There's no way you can insert this ideology into a successful business. If the concept isn't selling, you can't back out without calling down a whole shitstorm from the rest of the initiative. For example, if Ubisoft backs out and replaces the character with an Asian Samurai (you know, like, the version that would have made the game a hit), they get canceled. Similarly, if they fire the people who tanked their stock price, they look like Racists. It's a never ending circle.

This whole DEI thing is a fucking joke and I can only wonder what new industries are going to spring up by taking away market share from the floundering corporations who are shooting themselves in the head over this Utopian Daydream.

Christ, I wish I had a few million dollars and a business plan right now!

Edited by vancleef
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vancleef said:

and this is the problem with the whole DEI initiative: it's going to eat itself. There's no way you can insert this ideology into a successful business. If the concept isn't selling, you can't back out without calling down a whole shitstorm from the rest of the initiative. For example, if Ubisoft backs out and replaces the character with an Asian Samurai (you know, like, the version that would have made the game a hit), they get canceled. Similarly, if they fire the people who tanked their stock price, they look like Racists. It's a never ending circle.

This whole DEI thing is a fucking joke and I can only wonder what new industries are going to spring up by taking away market share from the floundering corporations who are shooting themselves in the head over this Utopian Daydream.

Christ, I wish I had a few million dollars and a business plan right now!

There is one issue with the thought that they can't back out or correct and the result being they get cancelled. It has been prooven that the LGBTQ can't cancel shit. At least shit that is really good and delivers. Example Hogwarts. They were on a major push to get this game to fail. All their efforts did is push the game into space.

On the flip side. If you  decide to use a trans person as your spokesperson when your history was macho men... you will be cancelled. Same for motorcycles. Start DEI shit and get quickly and promptly cancelled. It is just fact. These are extreme examples but still goes along the same track when movies and games start this shit. Can you say Concord?  Perhaps you can, but you sure the shit can't play it anymore. It was so badly cancelled for its bullshit that Sony did the unthinkable and completely refunded all the purchases. They really needed a AAA exclusive to come out for their new console release. That shit royally screwed them over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ritualclarity said:

There is one issue with the thought that they can't back out or correct and the result being they get cancelled. It has been prooven that the LGBTQ can't cancel shit. At least shit that is really good and delivers. Example Hogwarts. They were on a major push to get this game to fail. All their efforts did is push the game into space.

On the flip side. If you  decide to use a trans person as your spokesperson when your history was macho men... you will be cancelled. Same for motorcycles. Start DEI shit and get quickly and promptly cancelled. It is just fact. These are extreme examples but still goes along the same track when movies and games start this shit. Can you say Concord?  Perhaps you can, but you sure the shit can't play it anymore. It was so badly cancelled for its bullshit that Sony did the unthinkable and completely refunded all the purchases. They really needed a AAA exclusive to come out for their new console release. That shit royally screwed them over.

As usual, my inarticulate ass hovered around but never actually landed on the point.

If these DEI companies want to keep their similarly minded allies on their side then they have to double down on their failures. This is what's going to suicide them. They so want to be "on the right side" that they're ignoring good business practices.

Look, I'm not naive enough to think that there aren't capable Ethnic, Female and LGB-whatever-letter-is-added-this-week people who can do the job. But lately, they're being promoted or positioned way over their capabilities. If you're passing over a middle-aged White Guy with two decades of experience to look like you're "With It" by hiring some kid fresh out of college to meet a quota instead, your business is fucked. Hire them into entry level positions so they can learn the ropes and work their way up. But the DEI initiatives will call you out if you do this, even though it is a fair way to begin integrating said subjects into the workforce. Instead of being lauded for hiring more DEIs in the first place, you'll be excoriated for not giving them the plum jobs. And this is what's fucking over these companies.

I mean, how does Budweiser lose half a billion dollars in one fucking quarter? And Disney? They have Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Disney and what else that should, by all rights, give them a license to print money. Instead, they're hemorrhaging it!

All I know is, if Broccoli and Eon are smart, they'll just keep making movies with a White Male James Bond. If they deviate one degree from that we're going to witness the first James Bond movie to lose money. I mean, View to a Kill was a fucking turd and even it made a decent profit!

Edited by vancleef
  • Like 1

Ah, you are correct.

DEI companies are the reason things are going south. From my understanding it is because the cooporations are afraid they will be cancelled. So they ignore common sence and follow DEI commands and fail.  The only thing I can think of is they are greedy and are somehow convienced that if they be more "including" they will gain more customers.  I can't understand how somone can be so stupid.  Hey, want to provide content and / or merchandise for LGBTQ cool, do it. Make movies for them. Use their forumula and create new interesting fresh content. Logic would indicate that that would be the best path. However, these cooroporations decide they want to change a forumula as you said "give them the license to print money". Why?  Basic economics, don't deviate from what works. If it ain't broke don't fix it.  Somehow along the way of them rising up they loose sight of what is basic common sense.

So they have to loose billions and billions of dollars to learn that they should follow what works? Stupid as fuck IMO. This is basically the very first thing they teach in college when teaching economics and buisness practices. At least years ago. Hell, even people that aren't going into buisness can take a basic course as part of their electives that would cover this.

As for James Bond... if they deviate and Social Justice the fuck out of it. They will loose all their fans. I am sure of it. They cacn create pretty much any crap they want like sharks with lasers on their heads in a pool while he hangs from a rope and they will be good to go. You name pretty much any stupid thing they want to do and the fans will accept it. So long as it continues with the same macho, framework (with a male James Bond)  Now, nothing says they can't have a spin off of I believe Agent 9 or the like (I believe that is the female agent or perhaps I got confused with another movie) A female agent. HOWEVER, It Cannot be marketed as James Bond.  Like if CD Project Red makes a spin off of Witcher with the girl (forget the name now) I am confident they will be successful. (by the way she is gay or at least BI ;) nobody batted an eye on that)  If done with the same care and consideration as Witcher it will be likely a succeess. If they re-release Witcher as a female it will fail. Same as Space Marines.  Good that that bullshit was stopped. He was correct. Not the path. From a fan I know apparently there are other choices in that world that would somewhat fit their female driven narative if they decided to keep with the lore. Wouldn't be space marines (males) but people likely would of liked to see that (movie)

TL;DR

don't fix what isn't broken

Stick with the successful forumla

then you have a license to print money.

• Agree 1

As for James Bond... if they deviate and Social Justice the fuck out of it. They will loose all their fans. I am sure of it. They cacn create pretty much any crap they want like sharks with lasers on their heads in a pool while he hangs from a rope and they will be good to go. You name pretty much any stupid thing they want to do and the fans will accept it. So long as it continues with the same macho, framework (with a male James Bond)  Now, nothing says they can't have a spin off of I believe Agent 9 or the like (I believe that is the female agent or perhaps I got confused with another movie) A female agent. HOWEVER, It Cannot be marketed as James Bond. 

My brother mentioned an awesome idea about them creating a Bond Universe. That way you could try out stories with other characters, still meet the quotas and not have to touch the James Bond character. I would love to see a movie or sub plot where Q is kidnapped and engineers his escape using only his wits, knowledge and the items on hand. Picture him finding his way into a janitor's closet and creating Tear Gas out of cleaning products!
And you want a female agent? Add one. Give her a sub plot or even a whole movie. But don't whine and blame straight males if it tanks. Maybe it's just not meant to be. What makes me think this isn't going to happen, though, is when EON experimented with making a spin-off movie with Jinx, Hallie Berry's character from Die Another Day. Apparently, though, the idea was so unpopular and tested poorly that it didn't even make it into pre-production. So maybe that's telling us something. JB is Guy Stuff. Leave it there.

• Like 1

They can do the Bond universe in a series. If properly done it can work well.  Have a couple of episodes with James and some side episodes with secondary characters either supporting or investigating something that later might make it to James level or like you mentioned where Q is kidnapped and shows them what's what.

I mention a series as experimentation with alternate characters can be done and if there are some ground gained and people like something they can persue it further. Like Better Call Saul. He was spun off from Breaking Bad. The second I see him I thought he'd do great in his own series.  Using the universe for added content and experiementation is an acceptable thing IMO. For example the movie on Star Wars where there wasn't any Jedi and they were fililing in the space between two movies of the old Star Wars. That was a decent movie IMO. Not block buster but decent. Best of all, IMO it didn't distract from the franchise. People aren't bitching about the new Jedi (forget her name currently). Hell even Solo was better than what they are putting out most recently. That is saying a lot! What is extremly sad is that Lucas left a lot of material for Disney to use when he sold the company. They decided to dump it.

• Like 1

The only way things will change is if someone creates a new studio and game production and starts from scratch.  That or we would have to get our decent games from the EAST or West Europe.

The good news if someone had the ability to create a new game studio they would have a massive selection of some of the best of the industry to choose from. ;)  IMO if someone tried to cancel a game (provided it is actually decent) than that company should embrace it and enjoy the free publicity (they would need to get good samples out have a good PR program etc. Maybe find blogers/vblogers that are of like mind to view the game etc.

The video above basically states that the gaming industry (USA etc.) is just going to continue to shove their shit down our throats untill we like it (or know / forget there was better) That is their path. They have so much money and think they will continue to be bailled out (provided they continue with DEI ) that they don't have to worry about their massive losses. Instead of a license to print money.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1