[Nostalgia] Once upon a time... when we were kids...

bjornk

What were the first ever TV shows, movies or music that you used to watch or listen to on your own, when you were a kid?

These were some of mine back in the early 70s...

TV shows...

Spoiler

It was all B&W... It's funny how I can still remember their music...

My first ever cassette was given to me by my father were a compilation of sorts. It was an orange BASF which looked like this...

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjk_vIA1u6NXt3BQlETcB

One side was ABBA the other was Neil Diamond... 😀

Movies are hard to remember as you'd only watch them once, as there were no DVDs not even VHS back then. 😀

Edited by bjornk
  • Like 1

When I was a kid;
My family was the first to have a color TV and everyone on the block came over to watch Gun Smoke.

Other stuff off the top of my head; slingshots, silly putty, BBGuns, ant farms, full-sized GIJoes, firecrackers, pocket knives, mini-bikes, erector sets with electric motors you had to build, jiffy pop popcorn, Duncan yoyos that lit up, LiteBrite, Old Maid card game, etc.

• Like 1

Spiderman, good choice! When I was about five or six, I used to tell our neighbor's kid that Spiderman was my friend and he always believed me and never wanted me to prove it. :D

I don't think I've ever watched Gunsmoke, but it reminded me that I used to watch Bonanza when I was a kid! :D

And thanks YT, yes, I also watched Kung Fu...:D

Edited by bjornk
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

For me it was Happy Days, Love Boat, Fantasy Island and my all-time favorite childhood TV memory:
Daisy Duke in that skimpy red bikini in the pilot episode of Dukes of Hazzard!

My absolute FAVORITE show, however, was Kolchak: the Night Stalker. Still love it to this day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfmK8YUdSpY

Edited by vancleef
  • Like 1

Well, for me my nostalgia in music was growing up to 80s hip hop/break/electric funk. It will always be my fond memory growing up to those jams as a kid in the roller skating rink with my Riedells. I'd love to relive those days again. No cell/smart phones or social media. Just 4 hours (7-11p.m.) every weekend (Friday and Saturday) skating, playing some games on the arcade talking and socializing with one another. And it was there where I had my first french kiss. :L

I'm not good with movies so I'll leave that one out.

Edited by endgameaddiction
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vancleef said:

Love Boat

Season one only. My parents would complain that I was sitting too close to TV when it aired. Can't remember why I would do that, either had an issue with my eyes or wanted to watch Julie as close as possible. 😍 Jack Jones sang the theme song, had no idea who he was at the time, but for the last couple of years he's been one of my favorite singers of all time.

34 minutes ago, endgameaddiction said:

Well, for me my nostalgia in music was growing up to 80s hip hop/break/electric funk.

I used to pretend that I was good at breakdancing, which obviously wasn't true, and I still feel the embarrassment of the unfortunate fact that I had actually danced in front of a crowd once. 😅

Back in '83, almost everyday after school, with one of my friends I would go to a video game arcade to play Wizard of Wor. I would move the guy and he would press the fire button and then we'd switch places. At the end of that year, my parents bought me a C64 as a reward for my success in school, believing that it might help me study. They were wrong of course, between the summer '84 and the summer of '86, I believe there were no C64 games left that I hadn't played. 😂

Edited by bjornk
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

As far as music goes, I started playing guitar at age 8 and discovered I had some natural talent. Really got into a lot of 70s Prog Rock (Yes, ELP, Kansas, Pink Floyd, Dixie Dregs, etc.).  My Dad also turned me on to a lot of great Jazz and 70s era Horn Bands like Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

TV shows like the good ol 90's anime will always stay forever in my heart.. For music, if only I could travel back from 60s- 2000s I would definitely go. The music from the past is way more better than what people are listening right now. I specifically love the CARPENTERS, ABBA, BEE GEES, TOTO, ROXETTE, RICHARD MARX and many more!