Bethesda announces "Creation Club" (Paid Mods)

Doublezero

Who didn't see this one coming. 9_9

Is Bethesda’s Creation Club a New Form of Paid Mods for Skyrim, Fallout 4?

In the midst of a handful of game announcements and reveals, Bethesda used its time during the studio’s E3 2017 press conference to announce Creation Club. Essentially, Creation Club will be a storefront where players can purchase add-on content for Skyrim and Fallout 4. Yes, we said purchase.

It’s a detail that Bethesda may have tried to slip in casually, but fans caught on pretty quickly. In order to use Creation Club, players will need to purchase credits from their respective digital marketplaces (Steam, PSN, Xbox Live, etc.) and then spend those credits on Creation Club content.

That content can come in many forms, but Bethesda outlined six areas that it expects players to experiment. They are:

• WEAPONS: New weapons, material skins, parts, etc.
  • APPAREL: New outfits, armor, and items for your character.
  • WORLD: New locations, decorations, foliage, etc.
  • CHARACTERS: New abilities, characters, companions, etc.
  • CREATURES: New enemies, mounts, pets, etc.
  • GAMEPLAY: New types of gameplay like survival mode, etc.

At a glance, the new system sounds like a revamped version of paid mods for Skyrim and Fallout 4, but Bethesda knew such assumptions would be made. The studio came prepared with a response that definitively says Creation Club is not paid mods.

No. Mods will remain a free and open system where anyone can create and share what they’d like. Also, we won’t allow any existing mods to be retrofitted into Creation Club, it must all be original content. Most of the Creation Club content is created internally, some with external partners who have worked on our games, and some by external Creators. All the content is approved, curated, and taken through the full internal dev cycle; including localization, polishing, and testing. This also guarantees that all content works together. We’ve looked at many ways to do “paid mods”, and the problems outweigh the benefits. We’ve encountered many of those issues before. But, there’s a constant demand from our fans to add more official high quality content to our games, and while we are able to create a lot of it, we think many in our community have the talent to work directly with us and create some amazing new things.

When Bethesda first attempted to allow creators to charge for their mods, it was met with strong resistance. Because there was no real curation system in place, anyone could charge any price for a mod, and creators of popular mods (like the Macho Man dragon mod) could exploit that popularity and gain a massive profit.

But the biggest concern was plagiarism, since anyone could steal someone else’s mod, put it on the store, and gain money for it. The other issues with the paid mod system were potential drawbacks, but this was a huge flaw. And once Bethesda saw situations like that start to appear, the company shut down paid mods altogether.

With Creation Club, though, it sounds as though Bethesda will be handpicking the content that is put on its store and potentially even setting the prices for different forms of content (the bigger the scope, the higher the price). This will still be a way for people to earn money off their creations – presumably in a percentage split with Bethesda – but it doesn’t sound as though everyone can participate.

There are still plenty of details for Bethesda to cover where Creation Club is concerned, but it apparently was important for the studio to make sure fans knew this wasn’t a second attempt at paid mods. The system does have people paying for mods, but the scope is smaller, the curation process is more involved, and it will not impact any mods that players are currently using.

Creation Club will be available this summer for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. It will support content on Fallout 4 and Skyrim: Special Edition.

https://gamerant.com/bethesda-creation-club-paid-mod/undefined

Bethesda is freaking lazy. They would rather make money off of someone else's work than make a new game. I wouldn't be shocked if any new game they do make is completely devoid of any meaningful content.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I didn't catch E3 this year, but I read about that not too long ago.

I already knew this was going to happen. It obvious they were never going to let this go. And while some people are thinking this isn't going to last, I beg to differ. They have VALVE out of the picture and really, all it takes is the complaining from the community to fade away in time and people will accept it just like they did with DRM.

I just knew this was going to happen. There is no salvation for Fallout and TES anymore. TES6 may look good and all, when that is developed but their games won't be the same ever again. They'll always convince people to buy their games. They always do. So I'm not surprised if they don't fall to the level of EA. Because it's either "mods will fix it." or if that doesn't work, like in the case of Skyrim, a remaster will fix it.

Somehow if it isn't quite working their way, they'll make changes to cater a bit more to modders. Once modders fall for it and begin to do it, which is certainly a given factor, the rest will eventually follow.

I think this is the perfect opportunity for CD Projekt Red to step up and offer more in terms of modding for the community. If they were to put out a serious toolkit for Cyberpunk since you will be able to build your character in that game, it will certainly put them completely ahead of Bethesda. Or rather, since that doesn't sound about right... it will put Bethesda way behind them.

Edited by Guest

After CDRed set the standard for what an RPG is (Witcher3) and how a company should conduct themselves (free DLCs and low-priced expansions), NOTHING Bethesda can do will ever match them.  'Mods will fix it', half-baked story lines, season passes that buy broken promises, and not being able to really finish the game without buying a DLC proves that Bethesda is in the toilet.  By the time they release their next TES game they will have sank to the level of Ubisoft or EA.  If FO4 is a taste of things to come, 'StarCraft' will have the same formula as a TES or FO game, and it will be nothing but slogging from quest to quest to finish a story written by high-schoolers on Vine.

As for paid modding, GOOD.  Glad it's back.  Now Bethesda just has to go after all of these faggots with 'pay me to mod' Paetron accounts and the forums that pander to them.  Once Bethesda starts exercising the licensing people agreed to when they installed the games, Bethesda will control paid modding.  Realistically Bethesda has all of their fans duped with their legal double-speak about 'you own your mods' and the 'blah-blah-blah' coming out of Bethesda.net.  Most Bethesda fans are too dumb and wrapped up in being right to fucking understand that they surrender their 'modder IP rights' the moment they install the game's software.

Once this Creation Club thing goes full tilt the Zenimax lawyers will come out of the woodwork armed with DMCA takedowns and fans sites that provide a platform will be their hunting grounds.  If those lawyers see a 'support me on Paetron' link and the modder has Bethesda IP locked behind a paywall or in a 'donor's only area', they will attack.  It will be like the demonetization wave that happened at Youtube a few months ago, but on a smaller scale.

Realistically the Creation Club is only going to adversely affect Millennials who don't have real jobs and being 'paid to mod' is their hustle.  Bethesda lost me as a die-hard customer after FO4.  I'll never pre-order any game ever again.  I'll never buy a season pass again.  I'll never buy a game at day-one release again.  OF COURSE there are dumb-asses who will, and that's what companies like Zenimax/Bethesda are banking on....and it's all about 'the bank' anyway.  That's why CDRed is the diamond in a video game company pile of shit.

And here's why Bethesda owns all mods and modders don't.

Spoiler

THE SOFTWARE UTILITIES, IF ANY.
(a) All Customized Game Materials created by you are exclusively owned by LICENSOR and/or its licensors (as the case may be) and you hereby transfer, assign and convey to LICENSOR all right, title and interest in and to the Customized Game Materials and LICENSOR and its permitted licensors may use any Customized Game Materials made publicly available to you for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to for purposes of advertising and promoting the Software;

The link to the full license.

So if you make a Skyrim or FO4 mod and use any Bethesda IP to do it (including derivatives of their code), THEY OWN IT and can dispose of it as they see fit.  It doesn't matter what the Creation Kit license says or what is said at Bethesda.net.  The Licensor owns the game's software and if you install it you agree to the terms.  That's what they would argue in pretrial and they would win.  And that's all there is to it.  Most Bethesda fans are too dumb to understand this.

and it will be nothing but slogging from quest to quest to finish a story written by high-schoolers on Vine.

dyslexic high schoolers on Vine.

Truth be told.. CD Red doesn't need mods created for it. Perhaps a few small play style mods, an armor or something but really they don't need the level of mod content creation that a Bethesda game needs.

The only other game I have played as much as my modded games are Mass Effect i and Mass Effect II. These didn't need mods just a few DLCs and I was good to go for hours of play. Mass Effect Andromida is dead, the series is dead for me. I doubt they could do anything now that would get me to buy another one. Mass Effect Andromeda is the only "A" level game I bought that I haven't been able to finish. I even finished Fallout 4 after they put like 40 gb of patches into it.

I am happy and content with the direction that Project CD Red is going in and have no interest in pushing them into features or modding that they aren't confortable in doing. I appreciate their dedication and attention to details and want them to continue even if ithat means I can't mod it or do other things I could do with a crapy Bethesda game. With a Bethesda game.... Modding is required. Now with "Club Creation" they will take the best of the best from the main forums and sights and create paid mods in the process. Mini Paid DLCs is my guess. Meaning your game play just got very $$$$. No thanks. I won't get a game until it is at a minimum of 5 dollars or less if I have to pay 40 dollars for the mods to make it playable. So Bethesda... you just fucked yourself pretty badly if others follow suit.

OF COURSE there are dumb-asses who will, and that's what companies like Zenimax/Bethesda are banking on

Yes, here, I am a dumb ass. I said it. I bought Fallout 4 and regretted it but got enough out of it to say I got my monies worth... flash forward to Mass Effect Andromida... thinking the same formula and that they'd fix the bugs and shit and I'd have a good game etc... NOPE... I got fucked badly on that. There I said it.

Yes, Kendo you are right there will be dumb asses that will do this however, there are a few that will learn the first time a spiked 3 foot dildo is shoved up their ass from a game that is completely unplayable, UN-enjoyable, and just a chore to complete even one time. Even those dumb asses will wake up quickly and stop per-paying, buying on release, season passes etc.

Hopefully there are many out there that don't like to get fucked over and learn from their mistake. Hopefully, if there are some here that read this, will learn from my mistake and not buy that shit early on. Don't give in to the hype, crap stories and threats that the season pass will go up if you don't get it now. It is a better chance that the game will be a shit show if from EA/Bethesda etc than something great.

Project CD Red is the only company that I believe is trustworthy of per-purchase... however, stilil I will wait until the embargo has been lifted and I can get some good reviews. I can still support them very well and get it early on and they can get $$$ from me.

Once this Creation Club thing goes full tilt the Zenimax lawyers will come out of the woodwork armed with DMCA takedowns and fans sites that provide a platform will be their hunting grounds.  If those lawyers see a 'support me on Paetron' link and the modder has Bethesda IP locked behind a paywall or in a 'donor's only area', they will attack.  It will be like the demonetization wave that happened at Youtube a few months ago, but on a smaller scale.

If it is good content that they want... they will likely give them an alternitive... they will likely tell them they have to use their services to distribute the mod and take a small cut of the profits. (likely less than they were getting before) or be taken down. Who knows, maybe even sued because, correct me if I am wrong, at that time there would be potential money lost as mods are now a profit stream for Bethesda...

Okay. I didn't know that Bethesda Softworks had set up an actual carnival at E3.  I thought 'Bethesdaland' was just a bit on their video.  I guess they didn't see the irony of 'separating a mark and his money' when they trotted out the Creation Club with a real fucking carnival as a backdrop.  Micro-transactions made by modders, that's what the Creation Club is.

"A foole and his money be soone at debate: which after with sorow repents him too late."
                                                                                                             -- Thomas Tusser

OR

"There's a sucker born every minute."
                                    -- P. T. Barnum

3 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Okay. I didn't know that Bethesda Softworks had set up an actual carnival at E3.  I thought 'Bethesdaland' was just a bit on their video.  I guess they didn't see the irony of 'separating a mark and his money' when they trotted out the Creation Club with a real fucking carnival as a backdrop.  Micro-transactions made by modders, that's what the Creation Club is.

"A foole and his money be soone at debate: which after with sorow repents him too late."
                                                                                                             -- Thomas Tusser

OR

"There's a sucker born every minute."
                                    -- P. T. Barnum

Or, as I see it...

They know exactly what they are doing. They know that there are consumers out there that will eat whatever crap they give. They are large enough to start doing this with enough IP that they won't have much competition so they don't give a dam.

Likely it is their ultimate goal to remove the content that "some sites" produce as they will make the mod making process only be able to be done through them. They will sell this as a "Quality Control" measure which will force the mod authors to only deal with their site. Meaning that more possible tallent will be sucked up into their "black hole" of modding.

I just don't get it. Bethesda has it so good. They don't have to lift a finger after a few trailers and a couple of E3 shows. The modders do the rest of the marketing for them. And they already get away from their half arsed working games. Because they have a militia standing by ready to patch the game as best they can for the community. Yet, they can't stop thinking of wanting more money and seeing the perfect opportunity to take advantage of the mod community because there is potential profit in it. That's where they cross the line. It's like they're biting the hand that feeds.

I look at mods like the word of mouth marketing tactics. It's the best way to lure people in to know about your product without having to spend a dime. That's exactly what happens with mods. Then word of mouth through friends who tell their friends about modding and then get sucked into it. Next thing you know, BAM! there goes 3-4 people from that group of friends alone who bought the game on PC because mods sucked them in. profit! There's no better way to have your game promoted than through mods. and youtubers doing mod reviews and hell, even them story and lore tellers on youtube. They basically have it so good that people would work for free for Bethesda if it meant adding more VAs, or adding extra content into making a new official DLC. yet, they do things like this instead...

Bethesda is only interested in the money. They go to Skyrim Nexus and see all of the mods with 1,000,000+ downloads and I bet all they can think of is how much they would make if they put a price tag on it.

Also, we won’t allow any existing mods to be retrofitted into Creation Club, it must all be original content. Most of the Creation Club content is created internally, some with external partners who have worked on our games, and some by external Creators. All the content is approved, curated, and taken through the full internal dev cycle; including localization, polishing, and testing. This also guarantees that all content works together.

How will Bethesda be able to determine whats original content? How will they know if someone stole assets from another mod? How would they know if someone has stolen assets from another game?

But, there’s a constant demand from our fans to add more official high quality content to our games, and while we are able to create a lot of it, we think many in our community have the talent to work directly with us and create some amazing new things.

Um, Bethesda, shouldn't you be making this content?

Well, I popped over to the Creation Club website.  The info there is sparse, as in it doesn't tell you anything.  The scuttlebutt is that modders get paid three times and then Bethesda takes all of the profit after that.  So if they pay a modder a total of $1000 and then they sell the content at $5 per download that means Bethesda Softworks is in the black after 200 downloads.  That's not paying modders for their work or 'supporting the community', that's Bethesda Softworks turning a profit at the expense of the creators.

What i think will happen; once the truth comes out about what this 'Creation Club' really is people will reject it just like they did the Valve paid mods scheme back in 2015.  Also, the Creation Club only encompasses Skyrim Special Edition and FO4.  Those games are not as popular as Bethesda wants to believe and the market share of modders for those games is a small fraction of what it is for Skyrim alone.  This Creation Club will go nowhere fast once people start ignoring it.

There is a very slim possibility that Bethesda Softworks will DMCA any free mod that does something that they can charge money for.  So if someone makes a free horse armor mod for Skyrim SE and uploads it to Nexus, that mod will be taken if it bites into the 'official' horse armor mod for Skyrim SE.

But none of this affects ME.  I don't have FO4 or Skyrim SE installed and I sure as fuck aren't going to mod them.  That was carved in stone before the Creation Club announcement.  Now the chisel marks are even deeper.  This Creation Club thing isn't going to be the boon Bethesda Softworks thinks it is, especially since all of the modder content will have to be vetted and tested by Bethesda Game Studios.  Seriously how much time, money and effort is a parent company going to put into their devs qualifying mods when they could be working on new IPs?

Much like how all of Bethesda is now, the Creation Club will be a massive joke.

Popped over to the Nexus forums to see what they're saying about this Creation Club thing.  They're clueless, as usual.  Lover's Lab is worse.  The staff pet members and Shill Brigade are doing the usual to shut down any conversation they don't like and the staff is right there with them.  And Bethesda.net?  'The Creation Club is duh best ting evuh!'

We've had a more cognizant discussion with less than 10 posts than other forums have had in 10 or 15 pages of blather.

2 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Popped over to the Nexus forums to see what they're saying about this Creation Club thing.  They're clueless, as usual.  Lover's Lab is worse.  The staff pet members and Shill Brigade are doing the usual to shut down any conversation they don't like and the staff is right there with them.  And Bethesda.net?  'The Creation Club is duh best ting evuh!'

We've had a more cognizant discussion with less than 10 posts than other forums have had in 10 or 15 pages of blather.

Because we require ADULTs to be part of this site... :P Or at least attract adults to this site. Children see the way we talk and do things and leave... lol.

35 minutes ago, ritualclarity said:

Because we require ADULTs to be part of this site... :P Or at least attract adults to this site. Children see the way we talk and do things and leave... lol.

Well, Lover's Lab is, atleast officially, an adult site too and they're apparently fanboying just as hard.

Bethesda should learn from Mighty No. 9. There's only a limited amount of horseshit you can spew out while relying on your previous achievements before it gets thrown back in your face.

I'd love to see them continue to try to sell us mods, I'm just gonna sit back and watch them slowly burn their own reputation and consequently their company to the ground.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ritualclarity said:

NSFWMods.com is part of the internet and internet 'rules' apply.  We are a part of the beast, not some miserable safe space part of it.  :D

2 hours ago, Absurdity said:

Well, Lover's Lab is, atleast officially, an adult site too and they're apparently fanboying just as hard.

Bethesda should learn from Mighty No. 9. There's only a limited amount of horseshit you can spew out while relying on your previous achievements before it gets thrown back in your face.

I'd love to see them continue to try to sell us mods, I'm just gonna sit back and watch them slowly burn their own reputation and consequently their company to the ground.

They are fanboying because any dissenting opinions get shouted down and/or deleted.  That's what happens when moderators get the 'because I said so' green light and personal preference becomes a moderation tool.  That's never gonna happen here and I'll quit if it does.

Concerning Bethesda et alia, I was differentiating between Bethesda Softworks and Bethesda Game Studios because they are not the same entity, but after considering the 'Bethesda' history of market practices combined with substandard game development, yeah they suck.  They went from making RPGs and being somewhat honest to the two companies that developed and marketed FO4.  Their reputations are already in the toilet bowl, along with EA, Konami and Ubisoft.  Companies like CDProjekt and Kojima are the future of cutting-edge and ground-breaking games, not legacy companies like Bethesda.

2 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

NSFWMods.com is part of the internet and internet 'rules' apply.  We are a part of the beast, not some miserable safe space part of it.  :D

What....!!!! O.o

I thought we were separate, different. It feels so different when I am here.... :big-toothy-smile:

They are fanboying because any dissenting opinions get shouted down and/or deleted.  That's what happens when moderators get the 'because I said so' green light and personal preference becomes a moderation tool.  That's never gonna happen here and I'll quit if it does.

Most mod sites are like that, even if the moderators don't shut it down, the members "shout down" the others members and run them out of the thread and many times start to try to run the member off the site. Very sad.

Here, state your opinion and stand your ground.... Even against moderators and Admin! So long as it doesn't go against the rule set (99.99999999% of the time) you are able to do so. IN fact you are ENCOURAGED, TO SPEAK YOUR MIND!!!!

That makes this site feel like we are part of "some miserable safe space part" of the internet... :P

The ONLY market I can see for the 'Creation Club' are the big mods like total conversions and massive quest mods that will add 10+ hours of game play.  IF the 'outside developers' bit is true, then maybe the likes of Obsidian would make a NewVegas-type thing for FO4.  Depending on what it does and the story, I might buy that too.  People will pay for that stuff.  Small potatoes mods for armor, swords, outfits, etc. won't do well.  And even if they do, there's nothing preventing another modder from making something similar and uploading it as a free mod somewhere.

Yes, falscar (forget the spelling) and other major DLC sized and quality mods added to the Skyrim game has been stated before as valid use for a paid mod. They entail 1000's of hours of work. Something like that, might be worth looking at for a purchase.

I do believe mod authors do deserve credit, value whatever for their works they create. Not necessarily a paycheck. However, in the case of the authors that created those giant DLC sized mods for Skyrim, they wern't doing it for a pay check they were doing it for other reasons. I believe the young man that did Falscar was doing it for an showing for a job in the gaming industry. (and by rights he does deserve a serious consideration for a position for such a feat. Then he CAN GET A PAYCHECK :P)

Perhaps as much as I'd hate it, but considering the limited support and development of scrip extensions... perhaps a script extender that is fully functional. One thing that might be benefited by being a "sanctioned" member of the "Creators Club" is access or assistance (if done correctly, not that I expect they'd do it correctly) with some of the technical aspects so that these can be created earlier on. Perhaps, even up to and including adding some major features for modding directly into the game engine. I mean how hard would it be for the developer to take what is offered for scripting extension and then code it better for the engine? Trivial from my understanding of the process. If the code was available from my understanding publicly we wouldn't be having such a hard time getting the needed tools for Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE ;)

Again, I don't think anyone here would believe they would "do it right" when they do this new program. ths would entail real "support" and assistance with those sanctioned teams. Real "Content" that is DLC quality content not a fucking armor for a crab or even a horse for that matter. If armor packs are created they would need to be very complete. Something along what is attempted to be done with the Maternity clothing pack and SCR. MAJOR armor packs with complete systems etc. Not a single leather jacket or whatever. Weapons, the same thing. Major overhauls, additions, enhancements etc.

Of course, sadly, I believe this is la la land dreaming that anything close to this will happen. They are in it for a money grab nothing more.

I doubt the Creation Club will accept the standard Skyrim Nexus trash anyway.  Recolors that took 5 minutes to make, RaceMenu presets, 'standalone' followers and the other shit that infests Nexus...yeah, no one in their right mind will pay for that crap.  BUT there are suckers who will, so who knows?

I doubt Bethesda's going to be doing much vetting with this. At best they'll reject mods that contain CBBE or assets that are obviously from other games but meshes and textures from other mods will likely go unnoticed until someone points it out to them. So, my question at that point will be, will Bethesda have any incentive to take down a mod that contains stolen assets that's especially selling very well for them? Maybe they will but I wouldn't hold my breath.

As for Falskaar type mods I don't think we're going to be seeing many of those. At a glance, judging by the armored crab it looks like Bethesda is going for a microtransactions and microtransactions are actually more profitable than large scale DLCs.

At best they'll reject mods that contain CBBE or assets that are obviously from other games

What!!!! that is sacrilegious!!! :P CBBE is a original work of art of the highest caliber... lol.

will Bethesda have any incentive to take down a mod that contains stolen assets that's especially selling very well for them? Maybe they will but I wouldn't hold my breath.

they will make you go through the full take down process, documentation, review etc. Very much like they did the  last time they tried to do the paid mod thing. Much like they make you do now with their current setup. At least I believe that is the way they will go through. You will have to do a great deal of work, make your actual info public and then they will consider your claim.

As for Falskaar type mods I don't think we're going to be seeing many of those. At a glance, judging by the armored crab it looks like Bethesda is going for a microtransactions and microtransactions are actually more profitable than large scale DLCs.

I don't think they care. Small or large so long as it makes them money. The key is if there is enough support (scripting etc) for such a mod to be created and if there are people willing to make such a mod. For them, the transaction is basically the same be it a tiny mud crab armor or a muti-gigabyte DLC quality mod. However, none of us will know until it is fully up and running how they will really approach it. One could only hope that they don't fuck this up (like they did all the other attempts.)

Been thinking about this for a few days now. The way I can see Bethesda having the upper hand in this Creation Club and these highly skilled modders to work in favor of their future Bethesda emporium would be to release an advanced toolkit for their 'special developers' while the rest of the modders who partake in what Bethesda really hates known as 'free modding' a really dumbed down version of the toolkit so that it can't be used to make more complex mods involving scripting, which means less worthwhile mods on the free market.

Just a thought.

Edited by Guest

I can see Bethesda giving 'Creation Club modders' a one time pay out and then just taking their work and submitting as Bethesda IP.  The game licenses for both FO4 and Skyrim Special Edition clearly state Bethesda owns anything made with their development tools or that uses their assets.  There wouldn't be a need for an advanced Creation Kit since Bethesda can just take anything submitted to them, use developer code and mechanics only they have access to, and release the mod as a micro-transaction.

Bethesda takes player ideas and uses them freely anyway.  The mechanics and scripting for fully functioning followers made by Oblivion modders ended up in FO3.  The 'Weapon Mods' idea from a FO3 modder ended up in New Vegas as part of the base game.  MY SCRIPTING for the lap dancers in the Chrysalis Bar and Grill mod was stolen by that douche dev 'Jorge' and used in the sex scenes with Joanna and Red Lucy in New Vegas.  He used stacked trigger zones just like I did and he used my code.

Bethesda has no legal reason to give modders their due and they are known for litigating things at the drop of a hat.  Dealing with them in a professional atmosphere is inviting disaster, but the vast majority of Bethesda fans are morons or they worship the company brands; they will dive at the opportunity.  There's no way Bethesda will let clueless modder tinkerers come out on top in a business deal.  That's not how corporation operate.

Something else to consider about this 'Creation Club' thing; competition between modders and the death of sharing.  There is already a trend in the Bethesda 'community' where some modders won't share what they know.  This is especially true of scripting.  There was a time where knowledgeable modders wrote tutorials, shared how they did things, etc.  Outside of a few exceptions that's rare these days.  Money really isn't in the equation right now but it will be with the Creation Club.  Motivated by money, why would a modder share anything when he can submit it to the Creation Club and get paid for something no one else has or knows how to do?

By trying to profit off of the modding scene, Bethesda will cripple one key aspect of it.  Well, it's already crippled by some modders not willing to share what they know, so Bethesda is basically grabbing a shotgun and blowing the legs off of an already crippled modding scene.