Cyberpunk 2077 Discussion, News etc.

1 hour ago, bjornk said:

Some people refer to Blade Runner as a "cyberpunk" film, which was neither cyber, nor punk. The film was based on a 1968 novel which was written in an era in which the "punk" subculture did not even exist and it deals with androids and artificial intelligence and the plot revolves around what it means to be human. The movie itself doesn't deal with anything "cyber" or "punk" either in any specific or generic way, and its aesthetic style, i.e. the cityscape with neon lights, was simply a thing of the 80's, which anybody can observe in films and series that was made in that decade. People literally cherry pick this film despite not at all part of the cp sub-genre, most likely because it inspired the aesthetic style of some of the "cyberpunk" films. CP 2077 was no exception, it has blatantly copied BR aesthetic since its announcements and it's really no surprise that even William Gibson called it as the "GTA with generic 80's retro-future", which is pretty much what it is.

OK, can you give some proper examples of cyberpunk movies? I am following what many have said.. (like Blade Runner being a Cyberpunk type movie) but have an open mind to consider your statement and alternate examples. I am a casual follower of this type of science fiction.

You should ask the retards who keep attaching the word "punk" to whatever they found. I guess creating stupid sub-genres makes them feel special somehow. In their small minds this is probably formula:

Cyberpunk =  (A dark dystopian world setting with a city decorated with neon lights) + (Something cyber e.g. cyborgish augmentation or VR/AR) + (Some rebellious punks that look like they're from the 70's)

What these idiots call as cp don't even have a common theme most of the time, as they lack one or more of the things in the formula. I personally don't give a shit about how they categorize books and movies in their stupid heads. To me the only meaningful categorization is "sci-fi". Whenever I hear about "something-punk" I quickly realize that it's some millennial shit and steer clear of it.

Edited by bjornk
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, bjornk said:

Cyberpunk =  (A dark dystopian world setting with a city decorated with neon lights) + (Something cyber e.g. cyborgish augmentation or VR/AR) + (Some rebellious punks that look like they're from the 70's)

^ this. This is why I made a reference to that image as to what I envisioned with my critique of what it actually looks like.

https://lookbook.nu/topic/42733-Difference-between-cyberpunk-and-cybergoth

Cybergoth isn't the point, this was just someone asking what the difference is between both, but what the third post in that link says aligns with what Bjorn is saying. And the fifth post someone also brought up William Gibson. This thread is super old (9 years ago).

• Agree 2

I don't know anything at all about cyberpunk stuff but I did like the atmosphere of Omega in Mass Effect 2. Which supposedly was based on Blade Runner. All they had to do was make a city on that order.

From the screenies Night City just looks like a relatively clean city in California populated by freaks. ... Which is pretty close to reality so I'm not sure that even can work as scifi. 🤣 (California was minus one freak when I left! Plenty left though! 🤣)

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2021 at 5:33 PM, endgameaddiction said:

^ this. This is why I made a reference to that image as to what I envisioned with my critique of what it actually looks like.

https://lookbook.nu/topic/42733-Difference-between-cyberpunk-and-cybergoth

Cybergoth isn't the point, this was just someone asking what the difference is between both, but what the third post in that link says aligns with what Bjorn is saying. And the fifth post someone also brought up William Gibson. This thread is super old (9 years ago).

The term Cybergoth brings to mind the gynoid R. Dorothy Wainright if not the entirety of the show in which she was featured.

tumblr_p6khmoQe5S1qg53joo1_1280.thumb.jpg.628d25141f542e6228ee43c3c77e72e4.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/15/2021 at 1:11 AM, bjornk said:

Do you know what perfectly fits this formula? Fallout.

A dark dystopian world setting with a city decorated with neon lights -> New Reno or New Vegas
Something cyber e.g. cyborgish augmentation or VR/AR -> Besides Pipboy/VATS, which is AR, Fallout has all sorts of augmentations/implants.
Some rebellious punks that look like they're from the 70's -> Fallout, as a game inspired by Mad Max, has some literal punks in it (e.g. female punks).
Not to mention that it has Vault-Tec as an evil corporation.

And guess what, some retard came up with a new sub-genre for it right out of his ass and called it "dieselpunk"... how desperately pathetic.

• Agree 1

I think Bethesda nailed it very well with the raiders in Fallout 3. Not only the hairstyle and colors, but the voice actors for both sexes were very fitting. They carried that very rebellious anarchist persona.

1 hour ago, bjornk said:

And guess what, some retard came up with a new sub-genre for it right out of his ass and called it "dieselpunk"... how desperately pathetic.

You reminded me of this image.

Spoiler

3cc5917243fae4b6f0b7dde7eeec5809.jpg

Edited by endgameaddiction

11 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

SO GLAD I didn't get invested in what was happening with CP2077.

You lost your shit with fallout 4 animation glitches.... yea... you would have killed someone with the glitches that are occurring for this game.  Most of the problems are for Xbox and Playstation and the PC is good compared to those, however, not much better than alpha maybe bordering on Beta testing releases IMO. It seems that universally those that have tolerated the game and played it for 40~100 hours are getting off the ride due to ever increasing annoyance with the bugs and such. These are people that at first could overlook the issues. People that are "fan boys" of the game. Even they are jumping ship...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2017 at 8:45 AM, Guest said:

Okay, I'll start off.

It's confirmed by Mike Pondsmith himself that all classes will be implemented in CP2077. Really liking these classes.

Looking back after all these years, whether they did include all classes or not, you only get to play as three classes. I guess they'll make more playable with expansions, if they can ever get themselves out of the hot mess they are in. But I wonder how much they tried to give off the illusion that all classes would be playable just like "there will be FPP and TPP" until they couldn't hold the secret anymore. A lot of let down from this game. And this game, to me, doesn't seem to reflect the art nor the actual pen and paper.

Edited by endgameaddiction

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2021 at 1:00 AM, Kendo 2 said:

Considering the shitshow that is CP2077 and what CDPR did to their reputation, this is well thought out and honest look at the game.  Still not gonna buy it but whuddever. :P

Wait until it is in the 5~10 dollar bin... then you can get it and laugh lol That is about all it is worth.